Old 03-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Harry Putnam

Default MASKED Tilde with no `arch' what does it mean

Trying to emerge emacs-24, testing with:

emerge -vp =emacs-vcs-24.0.9999

I'm told its masked in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask

But when I look there, I see:
# Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> (10 Mar 2010)
# Emacs live ebuilds. Use at your own risk.
~app-editors/emacs-vcs-23.1.9999
~app-editors/emacs-vcs-24.0.9999
~virtual/emacs-24

With no explanation of what the Tilde means.

Looking thru man emerge in the MASKED section there is only one mention of
tilde and its in relation to notating architecture like ~x86.

All Ulrich M. says is `use at your own risk'

Ok, fine but first I want to find out what the unexplained tilde
means. There are only a handfull of packagew with that notation in the
masked file... where do look to find out its meaning?

PS- and by the way, there is no mention what so ever of `tilde' in
man portage.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:19:03 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Ok, fine but first I want to find out what the unexplained tilde
> means. There are only a handfull of packagew with that notation in the
> masked file... where do look to find out its meaning?

Try man 5 ebuild.

"~ means match any revision of the base version specified."

--
Neil Bothwick

It's the year 2000. Where are all the flying cars? I was promised flying
cars!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Paul Hartman

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:19 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Trying to emerge emacs-24, testing with:
>
> emerge -vp =emacs-vcs-24.0.9999
>
> I'm told its masked in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
>
> But when I look there, I see:
> # Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> (10 Mar 2010)
> # Emacs live ebuilds. Use at your own risk.
> ~app-editors/emacs-vcs-23.1.9999
> ~app-editors/emacs-vcs-24.0.9999
> ~virtual/emacs-24
>
> With no explanation of what the Tilde means.
>
> Looking thru man emerge in the MASKED section there is only one mention of
> tilde and its in relation to notating architecture like ~x86.
>
> All Ulrich M. says is `use at your own risk'
>
> Ok, fine but first I want to find out what the unexplained tilde
> means. There are only a handfull of packagew with that notation in the
> masked file... where do look to find out its meaning?
>
> PS- and by the way, there is no mention what so ever of `tilde' in
> man portage.

I think generally in portage tilde means "about". For example if you
want to mask ~foo-1.00 it will also cover foo-1.00-r1 etc. rather than
mask >=foo-1.0.0 and <foo-1.0.1

Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 PM
»Q«

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:19:03 -0500
Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Ok, fine but first I want to find out what the unexplained tilde
> means. There are only a handfull of packagew with that notation in the
> masked file... where do look to find out its meaning?

~category/package-version denotes all revision ebuilds of that
version, e.g. category/package-version-r2.

I don't recall whether or where it's documented.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.