-   -   Compiz effects vs kwin (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/341237-compiz-effects-vs-kwin.html)

ubiquitous1980 03-13-2010 11:53 PM

Compiz effects vs kwin

The effects in kwin (such as window wobble) are vastly less smooth than
that in compiz. I have noticed that compiz is faster in both kde4 and
in gnome (with slight preference to gnome in speed) and wondering if
this is normal, or something to do with my kwin setup. Running on GM 965

Thanks,

Damien

Volker Armin Hemmann 03-14-2010 12:21 AM

Compiz effects vs kwin

On Sonntag 14 März 2010, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
> The effects in kwin (such as window wobble) are vastly less smooth than
> that in compiz. I have noticed that compiz is faster in both kde4 and
> in gnome (with slight preference to gnome in speed) and wondering if
> this is normal, or something to do with my kwin setup. Running on GM 965
>
> Thanks,
>
> Damien

for a lot of kwin effects you can change some settings making them smoother.
Also AFAIK in kde vsync is turned on.

Nikos Chantziaras 03-14-2010 12:26 AM

Compiz effects vs kwin

The effects in kwin (such as window wobble) are vastly less smooth than
that in compiz. I have noticed that compiz is faster in both kde4 and
in gnome (with slight preference to gnome in speed) and wondering if
this is normal, or something to do with my kwin setup. Running on GM 965

kwin got crappy animation speed in KDE 4.4. It was as smooth as compiz
in 4.3. I asked about it in the KDE mailing list, but there was zero
interest in this regression. So you either have to live with it, or
switch to compiz.

ubiquitous1980 03-14-2010 01:57 AM

Compiz effects vs kwin

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 03/14/2010 02:53 AM, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
>> The effects in kwin (such as window wobble) are vastly less smooth than
>> that in compiz. I have noticed that compiz is faster in both kde4 and
>> in gnome (with slight preference to gnome in speed) and wondering if
>> this is normal, or something to do with my kwin setup. Running on GM
>> 965
>
> kwin got crappy animation speed in KDE 4.4. It was as smooth as
> compiz in 4.3. I asked about it in the KDE mailing list, but there
> was zero interest in this regression. So you either have to live with
> it, or switch to compiz.

Thanks for your reply. I am currently using kde 4.3 because I try only
to update to downstream-stable. Is there another explanation?

Thanks,

Damien

Nikos Chantziaras 03-14-2010 02:34 AM

Compiz effects vs kwin

On 03/14/2010 04:57 AM, ubiquitous1980 wrote:

Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 03/14/2010 02:53 AM, ubiquitous1980 wrote:

The effects in kwin (such as window wobble) are vastly less smooth than
that in compiz. I have noticed that compiz is faster in both kde4 and
in gnome (with slight preference to gnome in speed) and wondering if
this is normal, or something to do with my kwin setup. Running on GM
965

kwin got crappy animation speed in KDE 4.4. It was as smooth as
compiz in 4.3. I asked about it in the KDE mailing list, but there
was zero interest in this regression. So you either have to live with
it, or switch to compiz.

Thanks for your reply. I am currently using kde 4.3 because I try only
to update to downstream-stable. Is there another explanation?

Too old drivers and X maybe. Since you're using downstream-stable, but
the cool DRM/GL/KMS stuff is only in the latest upstream versions, this
might be the problem.

Kacper KopczyƄski 03-14-2010 09:17 PM

Compiz effects vs kwin

Dnia 2010-03-14, o godz. 05:34:04
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> napisaƂ(a):

> On 03/14/2010 04:57 AM, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
> > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >>
> >> kwin got crappy animation speed in KDE 4.4. It was as smooth as
> >> compiz in 4.3. I asked about it in the KDE mailing list, but there
> >> was zero interest in this regression. So you either have to live
> >> with it, or switch to compiz.
> >>

> > Thanks for your reply. I am currently using kde 4.3 because I try
> > only to update to downstream-stable. Is there another explanation?
>
> Too old drivers and X maybe. Since you're using downstream-stable,
> but the cool DRM/GL/KMS stuff is only in the latest upstream
> versions, this might be the problem.

kwin is slower on intel cards. Kwin with gnome or xfce is much
faster... Intel video cards are very slow...

From my experience every version of kde above 3.0 is slower than any
other window manager (gnome (sawfish, metacity, enlightenment),
xfce(xfwm), compiz, lxde,...), on every machine I've had. It needs more
memory, faster hard disks, stable filesystem (ext4::delalloc?), better
video card... and so on. Even Qt seems to be slower than GTK+ if you
launch application that does similar thing.

...or it's just my imagination :)

If you want smooth kde get a nvidia or ati card, at least 256MB, 2GB
ram, 1.6GHz.

You could also try nice/renice

--
Kacper KopczyƄski

ubiquitous1980 03-15-2010 12:20 AM

Compiz effects vs kwin

Kacper KopczyƄski wrote:
> Dnia 2010-03-14, o godz. 05:34:04
> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> napisaƂ(a):

>>> Thanks for your reply. I am currently using kde 4.3 because I try
>>> only to update to downstream-stable. Is there another explanation?
>>>
>> Too old drivers and X maybe. Since you're using downstream-stable,
>> but the cool DRM/GL/KMS stuff is only in the latest upstream
>> versions, this might be the problem.
>>

> kwin is slower on intel cards. Kwin with gnome or xfce is much
> faster... Intel video cards are very slow...
>
> From my experience every version of kde above 3.0 is slower than any
> other window manager (gnome (sawfish, metacity, enlightenment),
> xfce(xfwm), compiz, lxde,...), on every machine I've had. It needs more
> memory, faster hard disks, stable filesystem (ext4::delalloc?), better
> video card... and so on. Even Qt seems to be slower than GTK+ if you
> launch application that does similar thing.
>
> ...or it's just my imagination :)
>
> If you want smooth kde get a nvidia or ati card, at least 256MB, 2GB
> ram, 1.6GHz.
>
> You could also try nice/renice

Thanks for your advice. It seems that this is the way of things: compiz
is very efficient but slightly incompatible with kde 4.x and kwin is
highly compatible and integrated but uses a lot of horse power.

Thanks,

Damien