FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Jarry
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

Hi, I noticed this error when I try to sync my portage tree:

---------------
obelix ~ # emerge --sync
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://134.68.220.73/gentoo-portage...
>>> Checking server timestamp ...
timed out
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
rsync.c(544) [receiver=3.0.6]

>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 1 of 3 with rsync://134.68.220.74/gentoo-portage
>>> Checking server timestamp ...
timed out
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
rsync.c(544) [receiver=3.0.6]

>>> Retrying...
---------------

It started about month ago and it happens quite frequently, I'd say
there is ~30% chance I get this message when I try "emerge --sync".
What could be the reason for this, and how could I fix it?

Jarry

--
__________________________________________________ _____________
This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.
 
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM
pk
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

On 2010-03-13 20:15, Jarry wrote:

> obelix ~ # emerge --sync
>>>> Starting rsync with rsync://134.68.220.73/gentoo-portage...
>>>> Checking server timestamp ...
> timed out
> rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
> rsync.c(544) [receiver=3.0.6]
>>>> Retrying...

It's the server, not rsync that's at fault. rsync is merely telling you
that it cannot connect and is retrying to connect. Just choose another
mirror (emerge mirrorselect if you haven't already and then do
'mirrorselect -i' - of course without the ').

Best regards

Peter K
 
Old 03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Florian Philipp
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

Am 14.03.2010 00:42, schrieb pk:
> On 2010-03-13 20:15, Jarry wrote:
>
>> obelix ~ # emerge --sync
>>>>> Starting rsync with rsync://134.68.220.73/gentoo-portage...
>>>>> Checking server timestamp ...
>> timed out
>> rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
>> rsync.c(544) [receiver=3.0.6]
>>>>> Retrying...
>
> It's the server, not rsync that's at fault. rsync is merely telling you
> that it cannot connect and is retrying to connect. Just choose another
> mirror (emerge mirrorselect if you haven't already and then do
> 'mirrorselect -i' - of course without the ').
>
> Best regards
>
> Peter K
>

It can also happen if you are one a slow or lossy connection or have
other network problems. I, for example, experienced similar problems
when reverse DNS lookups did not work.

In this case, you can try to set a longer timeout. For this, add
PORTAGE_RSYNC_INITIAL_TIMEOUT=60
or something similar to /etc/make.conf

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:44 AM
fire-eyes
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

Jarry wrote:

Hi, I noticed this error when I try to sync my portage tree:

---------------
obelix ~ # emerge --sync
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://134.68.220.73/gentoo-portage...
>>> Checking server timestamp ...
timed out
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
rsync.c(544) [receiver=3.0.6]

>>> Retrying...

>>> Starting retry 1 of 3 with rsync://134.68.220.74/gentoo-portage
>>> Checking server timestamp ...
timed out
rsync error: received SIGINT, SIGTERM, or SIGHUP (code 20) at
rsync.c(544) [receiver=3.0.6]

>>> Retrying...
---------------

It started about month ago and it happens quite frequently, I'd say
there is ~30% chance I get this message when I try "emerge --sync".
What could be the reason for this, and how could I fix it?

Jarry




It's not rsync it's the servers. Are you using the EU pool? I am, and I
have that problem frequently. In my opinion, the EU pool is of rather
poor quality.
 
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

On Monday 15 March 2010 02:44:56 fire-eyes wrote:

> Are you using the EU pool? I am, and I have that problem frequently.

I don't have /that/ problem at all. The only problem I have with it is
the Irish server in the pool - it wouldn't be enough to go for a cuppa
while it's running; I'd have to come back tomorrow if I let it continue
at its own pace*. So I watch the beginning of --sync and if I get that
server I kill it and try again.

I haven't complained about it because I assume that other places get
better service. Ireland, for instance.

* I'm serious. To satisfy my curiosity, not long ago I did let it run,
and after an hour it was still in dev-*.

--
Rgds
Peter.
 
Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:10:52 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I don't have /that/ problem at all. The only problem I have with it is
> the Irish server in the pool - it wouldn't be enough to go for a cuppa
> while it's running; I'd have to come back tomorrow if I let it continue
> at its own pace*.

Is that heanet.ie? I always get decent speeds from there.


--
Neil Bothwick

Windows artificial intelligence: Unable to FORMAT A: Having a go at C:
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:15 PM
David W Noon
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:10:02 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?:

>On Monday 15 March 2010 02:44:56 fire-eyes wrote:
>
>> Are you using the EU pool? I am, and I have that problem frequently.
>
>I don't have /that/ problem at all. The only problem I have with it is
>the Irish server in the pool - it wouldn't be enough to go for a cuppa
>while it's running; I'd have to come back tomorrow if I let it
>continue at its own pace*. So I watch the beginning of --sync and if I
>get that server I kill it and try again.

You run your emerge --sync jobs by hand?!!!

I run mine from the root crontab. Consequently, I don't give a
monkey's how long it takes. I also have it update the eix and esearch
databases while it is at it. If anybody wants a copy of my shell
script to do this, just ask.
--
Regards,

Dave [RLU #314465]
================================================== ====================
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
================================================== ====================
 
Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

On Monday 15 March 2010 14:15:08 David W Noon wrote:

> You run your emerge --sync jobs by hand?!!!
>
> I run mine from the root crontab.

My boxes aren't allowed to run all night, so I call a script that runs
the updating process when I fire them up in the morning. No sweat.

> I also have it update the eix and esearch databases while it is at it.

Me too.

--
Rgds
Peter.
 
Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

On Monday 15 March 2010 12:28:49 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> Is that heanet.ie?

Yes.

> I always get decent speeds from there.

Just shows what oddities show up from time to time in complex networks.
My speed is far better from eastern Europe (Ukraine, Latvia, ...) than
from just across the Irish Sea. Maybe I should have a word with my ISP
to see if anything can be done.

--
Rgds
Peter.
 
Old 03-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Willie Wong
 
Default what's wrong with rsync 3.0.6?

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:15:08PM +0000, David W Noon wrote:
> You run your emerge --sync jobs by hand?!!!

Why is that surprising? My laptop does not have an always-on internet
connection, nevermind it sits silently and off for most of the day. I
"sync by hand" when I have time, roughly twice each week.

W
--
Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:00 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org