Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Willie Wong

Default Does skencil work for anybody else?

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 07:17:48PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > BTW, I have the exact same problem with skencil.
>
> Apparently skencil is not compatible with tk 8.5.

-sigh- now I am unmerging skencil. I used to use it years ago. But now
I am getting the same problem you described.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 03-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Willie Wong

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 07:54:35PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> After attempting to use sk1 for a few minutes, I've given up on it.
> It crashes regularly. Exporting to a .eps file just plain doesn't work
> (it writes 'sk1' format data to the file).
>
> The user interface is full of breakage: if you export a drawing and
> then do a 'save', it overwrites the _exported_ file rather than saving
> in the original drawing file.
>
> It also spews a constant stream of errors and tracebacks when doing
> anything at all.

Now this is interesting, inkscape apparently depends on skencil for
postscript support? Somehow this doesn't bode well to me...

Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-03-13, Willie Wong <wwong@Math.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 07:54:35PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> After attempting to use sk1 for a few minutes, I've given up on it.
>> It crashes regularly. Exporting to a .eps file just plain doesn't work
>> (it writes 'sk1' format data to the file).
>>
>> The user interface is full of breakage: if you export a drawing and
>> then do a 'save', it overwrites the _exported_ file rather than saving
>> in the original drawing file.
>>
>> It also spews a constant stream of errors and tracebacks when doing
>> anything at all.
>
> Now this is interesting, inkscape apparently depends on skencil for
> postscript support?

Looks that way, though I'm not sure exactly what it uses skencil for.
I would have sworn I had inkscape installed without skencil and could
still export to EPS.

> Somehow this doesn't bode well to me...

Nope.

--
Grant

Old 03-13-2010, 04:00 PM
Willie Wong

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 02:59:34PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > Now this is interesting, inkscape apparently depends on skencil for
> > postscript support?
>
> Looks that way, though I'm not sure exactly what it uses skencil for.
> I would have sworn I had inkscape installed without skencil and could
> still export to EPS.

I looked into it. It is for importing PS and EPS files. And according
to the documentation on their website, inkscape 0.47 changed to using
Ghostscript for the importing. A bug has already been filed against
the ebuild.

Cheers,