Old 03-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Leandro Boscariol

Default (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard

Hi guys.

While trying to find a solution for this error:

(EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard

I came along with a lot of people with the same issue, and I'm even quoting this guy:

> when I try to login into xdm login prompt, the login and passwd are accepted, I get a black screen for a second and then I get back again to the xdm login prompt. In /var/log/xdm.log I get*
> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard

His description fits exactly in my problem, and, as I couldn't find an answer to his question, I'll try asking here.

ls -l /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r10

Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
Release Date: 2009-10-11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.31-gentoo-r10 i686
Current Operating System: Linux amebamovel 2.6.31-gentoo-r10 #1 SMP Sun Mar 7 21:49:49 BRT 2010 i686

Build Date: 09 March 2010* 03:23:43PM
*
******* Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
******* to make sure that you have the latest version.

Tks.

Regards

--
Leandro A. Boscariol

Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Mick

On Friday 12 March 2010 19:37:33 Leandro Boscariol wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> While trying to find a solution for this error:
>
> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
>
> I came along with a lot of people with the same issue, and I'm even quoting
>
> this guy:
> > when I try to login into xdm login prompt, the login and passwd are
>
> accepted, I get a black screen for a second and then I get back again to
> the xdm login prompt. In /var/log/xdm.log I get
>
> > (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard

Is this a new installation (i.e. did you have X working on this machine before
the error appeared)?

Either way, have you defined keyboard in your make.conf:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard ....."

and if you just updated your xorg before this error occurred, have you
remerged your keyboard driver?

x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard

Run qlist -I -C x11-drivers/ to see which X drivers you need to remerge.

HTH.
Mick

Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 16 March 2010 16:35:09 Leandro Boscariol wrote:
> Hi Mick.
>
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 19:26, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 12 March 2010 19:37:33 Leandro Boscariol wrote:
> > > Hi guys.
> > >
> > > While trying to find a solution for this error:
> > >
> > > (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
[snip ...]

> Any other idea?

What does 'cat /etc/env.d/90xsession' show? If nothing, then create it and
add to it:

XSESSION="fluxbox"

or whatever is your DE/WM. If this is a multi-user machine and people use
different WMs then you'll need to set this up in their .bashrc.

HTH.
Mick

Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 22:20:12 Leandro Boscariol wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 18:38, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What does 'cat /etc/env.d/90xsession' show? If nothing, then create it
> > and add to it:
> >
> > XSESSION="fluxbox"
>
> None existed. Created it.
>
> Tried kdm, kde, kde4, and still nothing.
>
> Am I using the wrong value or its bug related yet?

The syntax for your session should be one of the names listed under
/etc/X11/Sessions/*

e.g. KDE-4

So it should look like:

XSESSION="KDE-4"

Don't forget to restart /etc/init.d/xdm or reboot.
Mick

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Mick

On Friday 19 March 2010 11:16:29 Leandro Boscariol wrote:
> Well, did as you said, but still the same...

Let's belt & brace this to cover all bases:

Check that in your /etc/rc.conf you have XSESSION="fluxbox" or whatever is the
session shown in /etc/X11/Sessions/.

Also, check that you have specified the correct Display Manager in
/etc/conf.d/xdm, e.g. DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

Then /etc/init.d/xdm restart to see what you get. If you have no success
after this then I'm afraid I've run out of ideas.
Mick

Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
walt