Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Keith Dart

Default Does skencil work for anybody else?

=== On Fri, 03/12, Grant Edwards wrote: ===
> Does skencil work for anybody else?

===

You should probably be using inkscape instead. I'm not sure skencil is
maintained.

BTW, I have the exact same problem with skencil.

-- Keith Dart

--

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz>

Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-03-12, Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz> wrote:
>=== On Fri, 03/12, Grant Edwards wrote: ===
>> Does skencil work for anybody else?

> You should probably be using inkscape instead.

I was afraid of that. Inkscape is a bloated monster that's going to
pull in another dozen or two packages. I guess if that's the only
choice...

> I'm not sure skencil is maintained.

Apparently not. There's a fork named "sk1" that's still somewhat
active, but it's got its own problem. Most notably, there's no
batch-mode export. There's a program called "uniconvertor" that
supposedly uses the sk1 engine to convert between various vector
graphics files, but it can't even read an sk1 file.

> BTW, I have the exact same problem with skencil.

Apparently skencil is not compatible with tk 8.5.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I want to perform
at cranial activities with

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-03-12, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-12, Keith Dart <keith@dartworks.biz> wrote:
>>=== On Fri, 03/12, Grant Edwards wrote: ===
>>> Does skencil work for anybody else?
>
>> You should probably be using inkscape instead.
>
> I was afraid of that. Inkscape is a bloated monster that's going to
> pull in another dozen or two packages. I guess if that's the only
> choice...
>
>> I'm not sure skencil is maintained.
>
> Apparently not. There's a fork named "sk1" that's still somewhat
> active, but it's got its own problem.

After attempting to use sk1 for a few minutes, I've given up on it.
It crashes regularly. Exporting to a .eps file just plain doesn't work
(it writes 'sk1' format data to the file).

The user interface is full of breakage: if you export a drawing and
then do a 'save', it overwrites the _exported_ file rather than saving
in the original drawing file.

It also spews a constant stream of errors and tracebacks when doing
anything at all.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Look into my eyes and
at try to forget that you have