Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Tony Miller

Default /etc/init.d/net.ra0 is not bringing up the interface?

I have added /etc/init.d/net.ra0 (my wireless interface is called ra0 instead of wlan0) to the default runlevel. It starts the script at boot, but it acts like the device has not been brought up(i.e. with ifconfig ra0 up). For instance the boot log will say:

* Starting ra0* *Configuring wireless network for ra0Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :** *SET failed on device ra0; Network is downError for wireless request "Set encode" (8B2A) :
** *SET failed on device ra0; Network is downError for wireless request "Set essid" (8B1A) :** *SET failed on device ra0; Network is down
And so on and so on for all the different settings, until it finally gives up.

I can do ifconfig ra0 up, iwconfig ra0 essid any, dhcpcd ra0 and connect to the network just fine! Of course I would like it to start at boot however.
Any ideas? The init script is broken? The actual init script is very complicated, and even if it were easy to just add "ifconfig ra0 up" somewhere to it, I'm not sure if that's the "best" solution.

Thanks,-Tony

Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 AM
Mick

On Friday 12 March 2010 06:12:55 Tony Miller wrote:
> I have added /etc/init.d/net.ra0 (my wireless interface is called ra0
> instead of wlan0) to the default runlevel. It starts the script at boot,
> but it acts like the device has not been brought up(i.e. with ifconfig ra0
> up). For instance the boot log will say:
>
> * Starting ra0
> * Configuring wireless network for ra0
> Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
> SET failed on device ra0; Network is down
> Error for wireless request "Set encode" (8B2A) :
> SET failed on device ra0; Network is down
> Error for wireless request "Set essid" (8B1A) :
> SET failed on device ra0; Network is down
>
> And so on and so on for all the different settings, until it finally gives
> up.
>
> I can do ifconfig ra0 up, iwconfig ra0 essid any, dhcpcd ra0 and connect to
> the network just fine! Of course I would like it to start at boot however.
>
> Any ideas? The init script is broken? The actual init script is very
> complicated, and even if it were easy to just add "ifconfig ra0 up"
> somewhere to it, I'm not sure if that's the "best" solution.

Look at /etc/conf.d/wireless.example to see how you are meant to configure
/etc/conf.d/net to manage your wireless card either using iwconfig, or using
wpa_supplicant. You probably need something like:

sleep_scan_ra0="3" #where "3" is three seconds

HTH.
Mick

Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Mick

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 08:24:07 Tony Miller wrote:
> Well it was working, then I wanted to add this to my /etc/conf.d/net:
>
> essid_ra0=( "my essid" )
>
> Now the same problem is happening again, any advice?

Yes, first please try not to top post because it messes up the natural flow of
the question/answer sequence.

Then try this syntax in case it works: essid_ra0="my essid"
Mick