Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Harry Putnam

Default About mount with user rw

I've done this before but have lost my notes about I guess.

I want to mount a device /dev/hdd7 so that my users can read/write
freely there.

This line, does not do it:

grep hdd7 /etc/fstab
/dev/hdd7 /home/reader/spool reiserfs noatime,exec,users,rw 0 2

(using the singular `user' didn't help either.

What is the syntax I need?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I've done this before but have lost my notes about I guess.
>
> I want to mount a device /dev/hdd7 so that my users can read/write
> freely there.
>
> This line, does not do it:
>
> grep hdd7 /etc/fstab
> /dev/hdd7 /home/reader/spool reiserfs noatime,exec,users,rw 0 2
>
> (using the singular `user' didn't help either.
>
> What is the syntax I need?

Are the permissions set on /home/reader/spool (when mounted) so that
the users can read and write to it?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 11 March 2010 21:23:43 Harry Putnam wrote:
> I've done this before but have lost my notes about I guess.
>
> I want to mount a device /dev/hdd7 so that my users can read/write
> freely there.
>
> This line, does not do it:
>
> grep hdd7 /etc/fstab
> /dev/hdd7 /home/reader/spool reiserfs noatime,exec,users,rw 0 2
>
> (using the singular `user' didn't help either.
>
> What is the syntax I need?

You can't.

It's a reiserfs file system, it has Unix owners and permissions. It doe snot
matter how you mount it, those permissions will be used. If the user does not
have permissions, then they can't use it. Same as /

By your post I can see you are confused with vfat and ntfs. Not being Unix
filesystems, the kernel has to fudge something to use, and you can make them
whatever you want.

Stop fooling around with fstab and mount options.
The commands you want are chown and chmod

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Harry Putnam

Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>> I've done this before but have lost my notes about I guess.
>>
>> I want to mount a device /dev/hdd7 so that my users can read/write
>> freely there.
>>
>> This line, does not do it:
>>
>> grep hdd7 /etc/fstab
>> /dev/hdd7 /home/reader/spool reiserfs noatime,exec,users,rw 0 2
>>
>> (using the singular `user' didn't help either.
>>
>> What is the syntax I need?
>
> Are the permissions set on /home/reader/spool (when mounted) so that
> the users can read and write to it?

ahhh no. And I see doing that cures the problem, but how do I make
this happen at every mount... is there syntax for fstab in the options
column that take care of that or does it have to be scripted or something
to get it to happen with every mount. Maybe in the local.start init
script.

But I was under the impression this could be done with mount options.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Harry Putnam

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> Stop fooling around with fstab and mount options.
> The commands you want are chown and chmod

Got ya ... thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>> I've done this before but have lost my notes about I guess.
>>>
>>> I want to mount a device /dev/hdd7 so that my users can read/write
>>> freely there.
>>>
>>> This line, does not do it:
>>>
>>> grep hdd7 /etc/fstab
>>> /dev/hdd7 /home/reader/spool reiserfs noatime,exec,users,rw 0 2
>>>
>>> (using the singular `user' didn't help either.
>>>
>>> What is the syntax I need?
>>
>> Are the permissions set on /home/reader/spool (when mounted) so that
>> the users can read and write to it?
>
> ahhh no. And I see doing that cures the problem, but how do I make
> this happen at every mount... is there syntax for fstab in the options
> column that take care of that or does it have to be scripted or something
> to get it to happen with every mount. Maybe in the local.start init
> script.
>
> But I was under the impression this could be done with mount options.

It should survive unmount and remount. The mount options should only
control who is allowed to mount it, not who can use it once it is
mounted. (Filesystems that don't understand the concept of permissions
might have some mount option to force a certain umask but normal linux
filesystems don't need it)