-   -   ati-drivers: no kernel found? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/339813-ati-drivers-no-kernel-found.html)

Arnau Bria 03-11-2010 09:23 AM

ati-drivers: no kernel found?

Hi,

I'm trying to install ati drivers, but I fins and error:

* ati-driver-installer-9-11-x86.x86_64.run RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking ebuild checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking auxfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* checking miscfile checksums ;-) ... [ ok ]
* CPV: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.11
* REPO: gentoo
* USE: elibc_glibc kernel_linux modules userland_GNU x86
* Determining the location of the kernel source code
* Found kernel source directory:
* /usr/src/linux
* Could not find a Makefile in the kernel source directory.
* Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a complete set of Linux sources
* Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version for build, attempting to use running version
* Could not find a usable .config in the kernel source directory.
* Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a configured set of Linux sources.
* If you are using KBUILD_OUTPUT, please set the environment var so that
* it points to the necessary object directory so that it might find .config.
* ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-9.11 failed:
* Kernel not configured; no .config found in
*
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 54: Called pkg_setup
[...]

But I have my kernel, conf and MAkefile in /usr/src/linux:

lx-arnau linux # uname -r
2.6.31-gentoo-r6
lx-arnau linux # ls -lsad /usr/src/linux
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-11-27 16:20 /usr/src/linux -> linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r6

lx-arnau linux # ls /usr/src/linux
arch crypto firmware include ipc lib Module.markers Module.symvers scripts sound usr vmlinux
block drivers fs init kernel mm modules.order net security System.map virt vmlinux.o

lx-arnau linux # ls -lsa /usr/src/linux/.config
92 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 87932 2010-03-11 11:16 /usr/src/linux/.config

so, why is ati complaining aboput my kerel conf?

TIA,
--
Arnau Bria
http://blog.emergetux.net

Norman Rieß 03-11-2010 09:31 AM

ati-drivers: no kernel found?

arch crypto firmware include ipc lib Module.markers Module.symvers scripts sound usr vmlinux
block drivers fs init kernel mm modules.order net security System.map virt vmlinux.o

lx-arnau linux # ls -lsa /usr/src/linux/.config
92 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 87932 2010-03-11 11:16 /usr/src/linux/.config

so, why is ati complaining aboput my kerel conf?

TIA,

This listing is not a complete kernel set. Did you do a emerge
--depclean lately?

Reemerge you kernel ebuild and do a make oldconfig to be sure.

Then try it again.

Norman

Neil Bothwick 03-11-2010 09:48 AM

ati-drivers: no kernel found?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:23:04 +0100, Arnau Bria wrote:

> * Could not find a Makefile in the kernel source directory.
> * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a complete set of Linux
> sources
> * Unable to calculate Linux Kernel version for build, attempting to
> use running version
> * Could not find a usable .config in the kernel source directory.
> * Please ensure that /usr/src/linux points to a configured set of
> Linux sources.

It looks like /usr/src/linux points to newly installed kernel sources on
which you have not run make *config yet.

--
Neil Bothwick

Never argue with an idiot. First, they bring you down to their level.
Then they beat you with experience.

Arnau Bria 03-11-2010 09:55 AM

ati-drivers: no kernel found?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:31:03 +0100
Norman Rieß wrote:

[...]
> This listing is not a complete kernel set.

For curiosity, what is missing? make oldconfing?¿

> Did you do a emerge --depclean lately?
yep.

> Reemerge you kernel ebuild and do a make oldconfig to be sure.
I'm with r6 and gentoo-sources is at r10, is it important? do Ihave to
remerge r6 too?

> Then try it again.
>
> Norman
Thanks,
Arnau

Norman Rieß 03-11-2010 10:09 AM

ati-drivers: no kernel found?

Am 03/11/10 11:55, schrieb Arnau Bria:

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:31:03 +0100
Norman Rieß wrote:

[...]

This listing is not a complete kernel set.

For curiosity, what is missing? make oldconfing?¿

Did you do a emerge --depclean lately?

yep.

Reemerge you kernel ebuild and do a make oldconfig to be sure.

I'm with r6 and gentoo-sources is at r10, is it important? do Ihave to
remerge r6 too?

Then try it again.

Norman

Thanks,
Arnau

A complete listing looks like this:
bragi linux # ls
arch drivers Kbuild modules.builtin samples usr
block firmware kernel modules.order scripts virt
COPYING fs lib Module.symvers security vmlinux
CREDITS include MAINTAINERS net sound vmlinux.o
crypto init Makefile README System.map
Documentation ipc mm REPORTING-BUGS tools
bragi linux #

Depclean seems to delete some parts of the kernel directory if you have
a newer kernel ebuild available. Had that too, once.
Which release you use r6 or r10 is your choise. r10 is newer with more
security patches and such, so i would say you should use that one.

Do you know how to deal with a kernel update?

Norman

Arnau Bria 03-11-2010 10:13 AM

ati-drivers: no kernel found?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:48:52 +0000
Neil Bothwick wrote:

Hi Neil,

> It looks like /usr/src/linux points to newly installed kernel sources
> on which you have not run make *config yet.
nop, that's not the case:

# uname -r
2.6.31-gentoo-r6

#ls -lsa
total 16
4 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2010-02-22 21:18 .
4 drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 4096 2009-10-08 13:00 ..
0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2006-08-30 19:04 .keep
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 2009-11-27 16:20 linux -> linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r6
4 drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 2010-03-11 11:58 linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r10
4 drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 4096 2010-03-11 10:33 linux-2.6.31-gentoo-r6

thanks for your rpely,

Arnau Bria 03-11-2010 10:34 AM

ati-drivers: no kernel found?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:09:43 +0100
Norman Rieß wrote:

> A complete listing looks like this:
> bragi linux # ls
> arch drivers Kbuild modules.builtin samples usr
> block firmware kernel modules.order scripts
> virt COPYING fs lib Module.symvers
> security vmlinux CREDITS include MAINTAINERS
> net sound vmlinux.o crypto init
> Makefile README System.map Documentation ipc
> mm REPORTING-BUGS tools bragi linux #
>
> Depclean seems to delete some parts of the kernel directory if you
> have a newer kernel ebuild available. Had that too, once.
ok, many thanks.

> Which release you use r6 or r10 is your choise. r10 is newer with
> more security patches and such, so i would say you should use that
> one. Do you know how to deal with a kernel update?
yes, yes, but I wanted to test ati drivers compilation before
recompiling the kernel and rebooting...

anyway, as I have to open my computer for changing video-card, going to
build new kernel an then, ati-drivers.

> Norman
thanks for your reply,