Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Mick

Default Installing adobe flash on 64bit arch

I see in the amd64 FAQs this:
==============================
Can I get Adobe Flash working?
Yes. Just emerge adobe-flash. Adobe has provided a 64-bit Flash
plugin starting with version 10.0.22.87. If you don't need the 32-bit
plugin, then run echo "www-plugins/adobe-flash -32bit" >>
/etc/portage/package.use. This will install only the 64-bit Flash
plugin.
==============================

So that I am clear, why would I want to install flash with both the
32bit and 64bit USE flags? If there is no reason for both flags, then
should I be disabling the 32bit globally or are there other
circumstances that mean I should only set it so for this package?
Mick

Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Yes. Just emerge adobe-flash. Adobe has provided a 64-bit Flash
plugin starting with version 10.0.22.87. If you don't need the 32-bit
plugin, then run echo "www-plugins/adobe-flash -32bit">>
/etc/portage/package.use. This will install only the 64-bit Flash
plugin.
==============================

So that I am clear, why would I want to install flash with both the
32bit and 64bit USE flags?

If you have both 32-bit as well as 64-bit browsers installed.

If there is no reason for both flags, then
should I be disabling the 32bit globally or are there other
circumstances that mean I should only set it so for this package?

The 32bit flag is not global. It's only defined and used by the flash
ebuild.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Paul Hartman

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see in the amd64 FAQs this:
> ==============================
> Can I get Adobe Flash working?
> Yes. Just emerge adobe-flash. Adobe has provided a 64-bit Flash
> plugin starting with version 10.0.22.87. If you don't need the 32-bit
> plugin, then run echo "www-plugins/adobe-flash -32bit" >>
> /etc/portage/package.use. This will install only the 64-bit Flash
> plugin.
> ==============================
>
> So that I am clear, why would I want to install flash with both the
> 32bit and 64bit USE flags? If there is no reason for both flags, then
> should I be disabling the 32bit globally or are there other
> circumstances that mean I should only set it so for this package?

In the old days, when Flash and Java was only available as 32-bit
plug-ins, people also ran 32-bit versions of their browsers (in order
to be able to use those plug-ins). In the time since then, we had
nspluginwrapper to allow 32-bit plug-ins in 64-bit browsers, and now
we have native 64-bit plug-ins. I guess the 32-bit option is still
there for people who are still using the old set-up and haven't gone
to a totally 64-bit browser yet.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 23:32:14 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 01:13 AM, Mick wrote:
> > I see in the amd64 FAQs this:
> > ==============================
> > Can I get Adobe Flash working?
> > Yes. Just emerge adobe-flash. Adobe has provided a 64-bit Flash
> > plugin starting with version 10.0.22.87. If you don't need the 32-bit
> > plugin, then run echo "www-plugins/adobe-flash -32bit">>
> > /etc/portage/package.use. This will install only the 64-bit Flash
> > plugin.
> > ==============================
> >
> > So that I am clear, why would I want to install flash with both the
> > 32bit and 64bit USE flags?
>
> If you have both 32-bit as well as 64-bit browsers installed.
>
> > If there is no reason for both flags, then
> > should I be disabling the 32bit globally or are there other
> > circumstances that mean I should only set it so for this package?
>
> The 32bit flag is not global. It's only defined and used by the flash
> ebuild.

Thank you both for your replies, I know what to install now.
Mick