-   -   Multiple versions of automake? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/339377-multiple-versions-automake.html)

Alan McKinnon 03-10-2010 01:15 PM

Multiple versions of automake?

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 15:50:33 Tanstaafl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have 3 versions of automake installed (1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r3,
> and 1.10.2).
>
> emerge -pvuDN world shows an update available for each one, but, my
> question is, do I need all 3 versions?

Assuming you do not have those versions in world, the answer is:

yes

> 'equery depends automake' shows 44 packages, all depending on 1.10* or
> higher.

try running equery depends on a specific version or a SLOT.

equery lies through it's teeth. basically, it does a giant grep and tries to
format the output sensibly. Oftentimes, it doesn't succeed in the "sensibly"
department

> So, can I safely emerge -C the other 2 versions? Should I (does it even
> matter)?

No. The next emerge world will simply pull them back in. But they are build
depends so stuff won't stop working

You're first step though is to check for a dodgy world file with cruft in it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Neil Bothwick 03-10-2010 04:05 PM

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:50:33 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> I currently have 3 versions of automake installed (1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r3,
> and 1.10.2).
>
> emerge -pvuDN world shows an update available for each one, but, my
> question is, do I need all 3 versions?
> 'equery depends automake' shows 44 packages,
> all depending on 1.10* or higher.
>
> So, can I safely emerge -C the other 2 versions? Should I (does it even
> matter)?

equery can be unreliable. If emerge --depclean -a wants to remove one of
both of them, let it, otherwise leave well alone.

--
Neil Bothwick

If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all that ACME crap, why didn't
he just buy dinner?

Nikos Chantziaras 03-10-2010 05:45 PM

Multiple versions of automake?