Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
"Arttu V."

Default Only two people in the gentoo world is having this problem?

On 3/11/10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> to determine whether this package provides it. I cannot do that as I
> don't have lzma-utils on my systems anymore.

Well, that can be sort of done with, e.g.:

ebuild /usr/portage/app-arch/lzma-utils/lzma-utils-4.32.7.ebuild install

It will run emerge phases until the system creates the installation
image, but it won't merge the files into their proper locations in the
file system. Listing files in the image directory shows all the five
liblzmadec.* files (or symlinks) that would get installed.

> If you don't have lzma-utils on your system anymore then erase
> /usr/lib64/liblzmadec.la by hand and run revdep-rebuild -ip again and
> see if it's clean.

Yes, this whole issue smells like an overblown orphaned .la-file
issue. Package manager cannot help much with such, and IMHO it's not a
bug (well maybe in the package manager, but let's not start that
flamewar ).

Anyway, if it were me I'd nuke the file in a heartbeat, but if OP is
too timid for that, he can also quarantine the file first, i.e., move
it to some other path where it won't cause trouble (and then delete
later). Also, (from the bug) his libarchive.la seems to still list the
.la, so he should re-emerge libarchive after moving away the orphaned
.la-file (or use lafilefixer?).

Still, there is something funny with paludis, as so many people using
it seem to have so many problems with orphaned libtool archive files.
Ahem, even the warning from exherbo front page is gone nowadays. Is it
production quality now? o.O

--
Arttu V.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Arttu V. <arttuv69@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/11/10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> to determine whether this package provides it. I cannot do that as I
>> don't have lzma-utils on my systems anymore.
>
> Well, that can be sort of done with, e.g.:
>
> ebuild /usr/portage/app-arch/lzma-utils/lzma-utils-4.32.7.ebuild install
>
> It will run emerge phases until the system creates the installation
> image, but it won't merge the files into their proper locations in the
> file system. Listing files in the image directory shows all the five
> liblzmadec.* files (or symlinks) that would get installed.
>
>> If you don't have *lzma-utils on your system anymore then erase
>> /usr/lib64/liblzmadec.la by hand and run revdep-rebuild -ip again and
>> see if it's clean.
>
> Yes, this whole issue smells like an overblown orphaned .la-file
> issue. Package manager cannot help much with such, and IMHO it's not a
> bug (well maybe in the package manager, but let's not start that
> flamewar ).
>
> Anyway, if it were me I'd nuke the file in a heartbeat, but if OP is
> too timid for that, he can also quarantine the file first, i.e., move
> it to some other path where it won't cause trouble (and then delete
> later). Also, (from the bug) his libarchive.la seems to still list the
> .la, so he should re-emerge libarchive after moving away the orphaned
> .la-file (or use lafilefixer?).
>
> Still, there is something funny with paludis, as so many people using
> it seem to have so many problems with orphaned libtool archive files.
> Ahem, even the warning from exherbo front page is gone nowadays. Is it
> production quality now? o.O
>
> --
> Arttu V.

Hi Arttu,
I agree with pretty much everything you say although I don't know
anything about plaudis so nothing at all to say about that.

I think the OP could also do

equery depends /usr/lib64/liblzmadec.la

and if that shows nothing is depending on it then it's certainly an
orphaned file and can be deleted. (Or safely moved...)

I went through a period maybe 3-6 months ago where it seems I had a
dozen of these orphaned files on all my systems. I cleaned them up,
ran

emerge -DuN world
revdep-rebuild -i
eix-test-obsolete -d

and have been very clean since.

Anyway, I do think it's a really big deal. He'll work his way through it.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Damian

> Anyway, if it were me I'd nuke the file in a heartbeat, but if OP is
> too timid for that, he can also quarantine the file first, i.e., move
> it to some other path where it won't cause trouble (and then delete
> later). Also, (from the bug) his libarchive.la seems to still list the
> .la, so he should re-emerge libarchive after moving away the orphaned
> .la-file (or use lafilefixer?).
Ok, the OP will try this. If I cannot fix it I will just install gvfs
without the archive flag.

> Still, there is something funny with paludis, as so many people using
> it seem to have so many problems with orphaned libtool archive files.
> Ahem, even the warning from exherbo front page is gone nowadays. Is it
> production quality now? o.O
Actually, it is the first problem I have with .la files using paludis,
but I don't know about other people's experience.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Damian.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Damian

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, if it were me I'd nuke the file in a heartbeat, but if OP is
>> too timid for that, he can also quarantine the file first, i.e., move
>> it to some other path where it won't cause trouble (and then delete
>> later). Also, (from the bug) his libarchive.la seems to still list the
>> .la, so he should re-emerge libarchive after moving away the orphaned
>> .la-file (or use lafilefixer?).
> Ok, the OP will try this. If I cannot fix it I will just install gvfs
> without the archive flag.
Ok, so moving the file, reinstalling libarchive, and running
lafilefixer didn't change the situation.

So I'm using gvfs without the archive flag.

Thanks again,
Damain.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
"Arttu V."

On 3/12/10, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyway, if it were me I'd nuke the file in a heartbeat, but if OP is
>>> too timid for that, he can also quarantine the file first, i.e., move
>>> it to some other path where it won't cause trouble (and then delete
>>> later). Also, (from the bug) his libarchive.la seems to still list the
>>> .la, so he should re-emerge libarchive after moving away the orphaned
>>> .la-file (or use lafilefixer?).
>> Ok, the OP will try this. If I cannot fix it I will just install gvfs
>> without the archive flag.
> Ok, so moving the file, reinstalling libarchive, and running
> lafilefixer didn't change the situation.
>
> So I'm using gvfs without the archive flag.

Bummer. Are you sure your libarchive.la is not another orphan, just
like liblzmadec.la was?

Please check (if you are still interested in hunting down the cause).
You should probably only end up with that la file if you have
USE="static-libs" for libarchive -- which (if I'm reading correctly
the paludis output attached in the bug) you do not have currently
enabled.

But since you have the libarchive.la file on your system you may have
had the USE flag enabled at one point, or the ebuild may have changed
to allow separate dynamic and static building while your package
manager might not have kept up with its records.

So, also check the owner of libarchive.la, and clean up if necessary.
Actually, since you seem to run a great risk of having more than one
orphan .la-file then maybe you should do something like "find /usr
-name '*.la' | xargs -r equery belongs" or some such generic flush-out
of orphaned .la files.

--
Arttu V.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Damian

Hi Arttu,

>> Ok, so moving the file, reinstalling libarchive, and running
>> lafilefixer didn't change the situation.
>>
>> So I'm using gvfs without the archive flag.
>
> Bummer. Are you sure your libarchive.la is not another orphan, just
> like liblzmadec.la was?
Indeed. libarchive.la is not owned by any package. Is this a symptom
of a bigger problem?

> Please check (if you are still interested in hunting down the cause).
Sure, and I really appreciate the gentoo community help.

> You should probably only end up with that la file if you have
> USE="static-libs" for libarchive -- which (if I'm reading correctly
> the paludis output attached in the bug) you do not have currently
> enabled.
That's correct. Should I enable static-libs and recompile libarchive?

> But since you have the libarchive.la file on your system you may have
> had the USE flag enabled at one point, or the ebuild may have changed
> to allow separate dynamic and static building while your package
> manager might not have kept up with its records.
Ok, if that's the case I will report it to the paludis developers.

> So, also check the owner of libarchive.la, and clean up if necessary.
Ok, I just moved the library to the trash.

What I don't understand is how to orphaned la files can cause
compilation failures.

Thanks,
Damian.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM
"Arttu V."

On 3/12/10, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bummer. Are you sure your libarchive.la is not another orphan, just
>> like liblzmadec.la was?
> Indeed. libarchive.la is not owned by any package. Is this a symptom
> of a bigger problem?

Probably not, unless running Gentoo is considered a big problem.

You can read many things about the problems of dynamic vs static
linking from, e.g., flameeyes' blog.

>> Please check (if you are still interested in hunting down the cause).
> Sure, and I really appreciate the gentoo community help.

Ah, I got the impression that you might have been satisfied with USE="-lzma".

>> You should probably only end up with that la file if you have
>> USE="static-libs" for libarchive -- which (if I'm reading correctly
>> the paludis output attached in the bug) you do not have currently
>> enabled.
> That's correct. Should I enable static-libs and recompile libarchive?

I don't think so, but I don't know what your system is for. If the box
currently runs without the static libs then I'd guess you don't need
them. I think you might want to hear a third opinion, if someone else
has one to lend.

>> But since you have the libarchive.la file on your system you may have
>> had the USE flag enabled at one point, or the ebuild may have changed
>> to allow separate dynamic and static building while your package
>> manager might not have kept up with its records.
> Ok, if that's the case I will report it to the paludis developers.

Given Neil's comment I think it might not be a bug, but rather a nasty
"feature", apparently of portage as well (that was news to me).

--
Arttu V.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
"Arttu V."

On 3/12/10, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> Emerge won't remove files it installed if they have been
> subsequently modified.

Just checking: anybody know how long has it been like this?

--
Arttu V.