Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 AM
Willie Wong

Default normal user do not have access to usb, and many other things

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:21:06AM +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> i kanda thought about that for the usb stuff. but i have not resolve
> it. may be i also need the pmout package to allow me to mount the usb
> disk?
>
> the big problem now is the battery information. i really have no idea
> where to look for it. it is really dangerous to us a laptop without
> knowing when the battery will die.

I am rather curious what application you are using to get battery
information that requires it being root.

/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state is 0444 on my netbook/laptop since
forever. I just use a bash function to parse it and display it on my
${PS1}.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 19:28:26 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:

> yesterday, after i have joined those groups, i did not restart my
> system. i just exit X, and log off, then log on, and i did not able to
> access those resources. but today, after a cold start up, all the
> problems are fixed without touching any configuration.
>
> i think this is just a group and permission issue.

Logging out of and back into X should be enough for any group changes to
take effect. I wonder if it could have been a module loading problem.

--
Neil Bothwick

A great many people mistake opinions for thoughts. -- Herbert V. Prochnow