Old 03-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Tony Miller

Default stop eth0 from starting at boot

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 is not in any runlevels:

o_0 tony # rc-update show
*********** bootmisc | boot
************ checkfs | boot
********** checkroot | boot
************** clock | boot
******** consolefont | boot

*************** hald |***** default
*********** hostname | boot
************ keymaps | boot
************** local |***** default nonetwork
********* localmount | boot
************ modules | boot
************* net.lo | boot

********** net.wlan0 |***** default
*********** netmount |***** default
********* ntp-client |***** default
********** rmnologin | boot
*************** sshd |***** default
***** udev-postmount |***** default

************ urandom | boot
********* vixie-cron |***** default
**************** xdm |***** default

Yet it still insists on trying to start at boot! This isn't What I Want, since this computer is a laptop and I generally use the wifi.

Could it be related to udev or hotplug?

Thanks,
-Tony

Old 03-10-2010, 03:06 AM
Chris Reffett

The easiest way to rectify this, I've found, is to just delete
/etc/init.d/net.eth0. Alternately, if you do want to keep the init
script around, but don't want to wait for it to time out before
continuing the boot process, what I did was add dhcpcd_eth0="-b" to fork
it into the background. As for "what is trying to start net.eth0," I
think there's an option in either /etc/rc.conf or /etc/conf.d/rc that
determines what counts as "net" for init scripts that need net: no net
required, loopback only, one non-loopback, or all of the net.* scripts.
Try looking into that.
Chris Reffett

Old 03-10-2010, 04:53 AM
Dale

Tony Miller wrote:

[...]

This is a common problem. I am on baselayout 1 so if you are on
baselayout 2, this may not help. In /etc/conf.d/rc file, add this line
or edit the line you already have:

RC_PLUG_SERVICES="net.wlan !net.eth*"

That should stop it from starting unless it is in a runlevel. If not,
post back. Actually, post back either way. Let us know if that works
or not.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Mick

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 05:53:00 Dale wrote:
> Tony Miller wrote:
> > /etc/init.d/net.eth0 is not in any runlevels:
> >
> > o_0 tony # rc-update show
> > bootmisc | boot
> > checkfs | boot
> > checkroot | boot
> > clock | boot
> > consolefont | boot
> > hald | default
> > hostname | boot
> > keymaps | boot
> > local | default nonetwork
> > localmount | boot
> > modules | boot
> > net.lo | boot
> > net.wlan0 | default
> > netmount | default
> > ntp-client | default
> > rmnologin | boot
> > sshd | default
> > udev-postmount | default
> > urandom | boot
> > vixie-cron | default
> > xdm | default
> >
> > Yet it still insists on trying to start at boot! This isn't What I
> > Want, since this computer is a laptop and I generally use the wifi.
> >
> > Could it be related to udev or hotplug?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Tony
>
> This is a common problem. I am on baselayout 1 so if you are on
> baselayout 2, this may not help. In /etc/conf.d/rc file, add this line
> or edit the line you already have:
>
> RC_PLUG_SERVICES="net.wlan !net.eth*"
>
> That should stop it from starting unless it is in a runlevel. If not,
> post back. Actually, post back either way. Let us know if that works
> or not.

The file is well commented to show all options. Just put "lo" in there and it
won't bother you again for any interface (other than localhost).

Mick

Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 23:53:00 -0600, Dale wrote:

> This is a common problem. I am on baselayout 1 so if you are on
> baselayout 2, this may not help. In /etc/conf.d/rc file, add this line
> or edit the line you already have:
>
> RC_PLUG_SERVICES="net.wlan !net.eth*"

In baselayout-2 this is set in /etc/rc.conf. I use

rc_hotplug="!net.*"

to let all interfaces be handled by Wicd.

--
Neil Bothwick

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Tony Miller

I modified the RC_PLUG_SERVICES like this:
RC_PLUG_SERVICES="net.ra0 !net.eth0"
This appears to have worked perfectly! net.eth0 does not start at boot at all. Thanks so much!