2.6.31, vbulletin,jelsoft,forum,bbs,discussion,bulletin board" /> 2.6.31 Gentoo User" /> Problem with "make oldconfig" 2.6.30-8 ==> 2.6.31 - Linux Archive

Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 AM
"Walter Dnes"

Default Problem with "make oldconfig" 2.6.30-8 ==> 2.6.31

Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
kernels saved me. "production" is 2.6.30-r8. "experimental" is
2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one). I set
/usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig". I got the warnings listed below
before the config process started. "make oldconfig" appears to have
reset to default values, and it was showing me some settings totally the
opposite of what I know I've set. When I ran through "make oldconfig",
compiled and rebooted, I got a framebuffer console, which I *KNOW* I
haven't selected. And there was a kernel panic because gentoo couldn't
find the boot device.

I'm enough of a bit-twiddler that I can set up the kernel manually.
But I know from past experience that it's a long slow process. Is
there any trick to salvage "make oldconfig", before I resort to setting
up the kernel "the hard way"? Here's the output from "make oldconfig"
up to where it starts asking questions...

[d531][root][/usr/src/linux] make oldconfig
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
HOSTCC scripts/basic/docproc
HOSTCC scripts/basic/hash
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function 'conf_askvalue':
scripts/kconfig/conf.c:105: warning: ignoring return value of 'fgets', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function 'conf_choice':
scripts/kconfig/conf.c:307: warning: ignoring return value of 'fgets', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
In file included from scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c:2486:
scripts/kconfig/confdata.c: In function 'conf_write':
scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:508: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
scripts/kconfig/confdata.c: In function 'conf_write_autoconf':
scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:745: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
scripts/kconfig/confdata.c:746: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
In file included from scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c:2487:
scripts/kconfig/expr.c: In function 'expr_print_file_helper':
scripts/kconfig/expr.c:1090: warning: ignoring return value of 'fwrite', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf -o arch/x86/Kconfig
*
* Restart config...
*
*
* Performance Counters
*
Kernel Performance Counters (PERF_COUNTERS) [N/y/?] (NEW)

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Kaddeh

Walter,

I'd advise going back through and running a "make menuconfig" on 2.6.31-r6/10 and verify that everything is in order.
The reason that I say this is that, in the event that your kernel -DID- revert back to defaults, if you have a non-ext2/3 partition, it isn't going t recognize it (EXT4, Reiserfs3.6/4, etc aren't "default" options).

As for the warnings that you are talking about, those have existed for a while, they are obviously non-fatal and not really pertinent to your issue at hand.

Cheers

Kad

Old 03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-03-09 8:36 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
> kernels saved me. "production" is 2.6.30-r8. "experimental" is
> 2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one). I set
> /usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
> 2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig".

I *never* use make oldconfig between major kernel versions...

I do as the kernel upgrade guide says - when going between major
versions (yes, even one), copy the old .config to the new kernel dir,
then run make menuconfig, and make sure all of your critical options are
set. This is much safer, though it does take more time.

I've been wondering though - how well does genkernel work now? I've
never used it...

--

Charles

Old 03-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Dale

Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
kernels saved me. "production" is 2.6.30-r8. "experimental" is
2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one). I set
/usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig".

I *never* use make oldconfig between major kernel versions...

I do as the kernel upgrade guide says - when going between major
versions (yes, even one), copy the old .config to the new kernel dir,
then run make menuconfig, and make sure all of your critical options are
set. This is much safer, though it does take more time.

I've been wondering though - how well does genkernel work now? I've
never used it...

I use make oldconfig all the time and have only had problems with it
once. I would trust make oldconfig looong before I would even think to
trust genkernel. I have never got it to work for me.

Using make oldconfig should be fine for the OP. I wouldn't use it if I
were going from 2.6.1* to a current version tho. It would be faster to
start from scratch. That would be a lot of questions to answer.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-03-10 8:38 AM, Dale wrote:
> I use make oldconfig all the time and have only had problems with it
> once. I would trust make oldconfig looong before I would even think to
> trust genkernel. I have never got it to work for me.
>
> Using make oldconfig should be fine for the OP.

My point is, the recommended method per the official gentoo docs/kernel
upgrade guide is, using make oldconfig is only recommended for minor
bumps of the same kernel version, and for major updates - and again,
yes, even going from 2.6.30 to 2.6.31 is a 'major' update, copying the
old .config then doing make menuconfig is the preferred/recommended way.

If you want to live dangerously, that is fine, but please do not ignore
the fact that it is *not* the *recommended/preferred* - ie *safest* - way.

--

Charles

Old 03-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:22:41 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:

> > Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
> > kernels saved me. "production" is 2.6.30-r8. "experimental" is
> > 2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one). I set
> > /usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
> > 2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig".
>
> I *never* use make oldconfig between major kernel versions...

The .30, .31 is the minor kernel version. You shouldn't use oldconfig
when going from 2.4 to 2.6 but from 2.6.m to 2.6.n is safe.

--
Neil Bothwick

Anything is possible if you don't know what
you are talking about.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Mick

On 10 March 2010 01:36, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:
> *Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
> kernels saved me. *"production" is 2.6.30-r8. *"experimental" is
> 2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one). *I set
> /usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
> 2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig". *I got the warnings listed below
> before the config process started. *"make oldconfig" appears to have
> reset to default values, and it was showing me some settings totally the
> opposite of what I know I've set. *When I ran through "make oldconfig",
> compiled and rebooted, I got a framebuffer console, which I *KNOW* I
> haven't selected.

If you had not enabled framebuffer in your old kernel then I can't
think how it would show up as enabled in your new kernel (as far as I
know fb is not enabled by default on any kernels that I've ever built)

> And there was a kernel panic because gentoo couldn't
> find the boot device.

Hmm ... so it's not just framebuffer but different filesystems perhaps?

> *I'm enough of a bit-twiddler that I can set up the kernel manually.
> But I know from past experience that it's a long slow process. *Is
> there any trick to salvage "make oldconfig", before I resort to setting
> up the kernel "the hard way"? *Here's the output from "make oldconfig"
> up to where it starts asking questions...

The errors you show are not show stoppers (or the new kernel would not
build). You may want to update your gcc and then check using
gcc-config that the latest is being used.

With regards to your kernel panic I suspect an error in the .config
file you copied over. Do you keep a copy both in
/usr/src/linux-gentoo-XXX/ and in /boot? If yes then copy over your
.config from a different location this time, otherwise you'll have to
go about it through the manual method.

PS. Just checking the obvious: you aren't manually patching your
kernels and forgot to do it this time, right?
Mick

Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-03-10 8:47 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:22:41 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
>>> Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
>>> kernels saved me. "production" is 2.6.30-r8. "experimental" is
>>> 2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one). I set
>>> /usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
>>> 2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig".
>>
>> I *never* use make oldconfig between major kernel versions...
>
> The .30, .31 is the minor kernel version. You shouldn't use oldconfig
> when going from 2.4 to 2.6 but from 2.6.m to 2.6.n is safe.

Again, not according to the official upgrade guide - it specifically
uses 2.6.9-r1 to 2.6.9-r2 as an example of a 'minor' update, and going
from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9 as having potentially 'too large of changes for make
oldconfig to be considered safe'.

If the guide is outdated, maybe it should be updated:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml#doc_chap10

"10. Advanced: Using your old kernel .config to configure a new one

It is sometimes possible to save time by re-using the configuration file
from your old kernel when configuring the new one. Note that this is
generally unsafe -- too many changes between every kernel release for
this to be a reliable upgrade path.

The only situation where this is appropriate is when upgrading from one
Gentoo kernel revision to another. For example, the changes made between
gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2 will be very small,
so it is usually OK to use the following method. However, it is not
appropriate to use it in the example used throughout this document:
upgrading from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9. Too many changes between the official
releases, and the method described below does not display enough context
to the user, often resulting in the user running into problems because
they disabled options that they really didn't want to.

To reuse your old .config, you simply need to copy it over and then run
make oldconfig. In the following example, we take the configuration from
gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r1 and import it into gentoo-sources-2.6.9-r2.

Code Listing 10.1: Reusing your old config

# cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r2
# cp ../linux-2.6.9-gentoo-r1/.config .
# make oldconfig

<snip>

At this point, you may be asked to produce answers for configuration
options which have changed between the two versions. Once you have done
that, you can compile and install your kernel as normal, without having
to go through the menuconfig configuration process.

A much safer upgrading method is to copy your config as previously
shown, and then simply run make menuconfig. This avoids the problems of
make oldconfig mentioned previously, as make menuconfig will load up
your previous configuration as much as possible into the menu. Now all
you have to do is go through each option and look for new sections,
removals, and so on. By using menuconfig, you gain context for all the
new changes, and can easily view the new choices and review help screens
much easier. You can even use this for upgrades such as 2.6.8 to 2.6.9;
just make sure you read through the options carefully. Once you've
finished, compile and install your kernel as normal."

--

Charles

Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 15:22:41 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-03-09 8:36 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > Today is when running a lilo menu with "production" and "experimental"
> > kernels saved me. "production" is 2.6.30-r8. "experimental" is
> > 2.6.31-r6 or 2.6.31-r10 (same problems with either one). I set
> > /usr/src/linux to point at 2.6.31-r6 (or 10), copied .config from
> > 2.6.30-r8 and ran "make oldconfig".
>
> I *never* use make oldconfig between major kernel versions...

A major kernel upgrade is from 2.6 to 2.7

2.6.30 to 2.6.31 is a small incremental upgrade and
2.6.30.1 to 2.6.30.2 is a bug fix

Common sense tells me that you will forget something important using your
method much more often than oldconfig will trip over a new option (eg the pata
shuffle about 2 years ago)

> I do as the kernel upgrade guide says - when going between major
> versions (yes, even one), copy the old .config to the new kernel dir,
> then run make menuconfig, and make sure all of your critical options are
> set. This is much safer, though it does take more time.

Well, that guide is someone's opinion. It is not a technical fact.

I write wiki pages that seem to be to be 100% spot on and the best advice
ever. But some of my colleagues ignore it and do it their way. Stuff they do
does not break.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 15:46:03 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-03-10 8:38 AM, Dale wrote:
> > I use make oldconfig all the time and have only had problems with it
> > once. I would trust make oldconfig looong before I would even think to
> > trust genkernel. I have never got it to work for me.
> >
> > Using make oldconfig should be fine for the OP.
>
> My point is, the recommended method per the official gentoo docs/kernel
> upgrade guide is

Let me correct you on your misunderstanding:

The current opinion of the current author of the kernel upgrade guide says
what you quoted.

It's his opinion, it's what he thinks will work best for the majority of
people. It's probably also the wording that has been proven to result in the
least bugzilla entries and the fewest mails in his inbox from the "Help me!"
mob.

It's not a technical data sheet, and what you quote is not a fact

> , using make oldconfig is only recommended for minor
> bumps of the same kernel version, and for major updates - and again,
> yes, even going from 2.6.30 to 2.6.31 is a 'major' update, copying the
> old .config then doing make menuconfig is the preferred/recommended way.
>
> If you want to live dangerously, that is fine, but please do not ignore
> the fact that it is *not* the *recommended/preferred* - ie *safest* - way.

Wrong. See above.

How do I know this? I too write technical docs. I too write them to minimize
the size of my inbox. Do you think for a minute I actually *follow* the advice
of give to others less knowledgeable than myself?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com