-   -   Any nice tools for emerge dependency resolution listing? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/336998-any-nice-tools-emerge-dependency-resolution-listing.html)

Mick 03-06-2010 10:45 AM

On Saturday 06 March 2010 10:19:19 Mark David Dumlao wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm wondering if anyone's written a script that looks deep into the
> build dependencies of some package foo, and gives you a list of
> ebuilds you need to unmask to build it. Immediate build dependencies
> could easily be shown using the ebuild itself, and deep dependencies
> could be shown using equery something, but I just want to focus on
> dependencies you need to unmask when building.
>
> I usually just manually iterate through emerge -uDNtav world/something
> to make something like that happen, and it's just hit me that this
> sounds like a chore that's bound to have bugged someone.
>
> I'm not looking for a tool that writes my package.keywords/* for me,
> I'd like to do that myself, but the iteration process is more painful
> than it should be "manually". If there's none I was wondering what
> kinds of challenges would it take to write one in python as that
> sounds like a cool exercise to try out.

Hmm, I was going to suggest autounmask, but since you don't want it to write
your package.keywords/* for you point it to another file and then look at what
it's written there.

HTH.
Mick

Alan McKinnon 03-06-2010 10:46 AM

On Saturday 06 March 2010 12:19:19 Mark David Dumlao wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm wondering if anyone's written a script that looks deep into the
> build dependencies of some package foo, and gives you a list of
> ebuilds you need to unmask to build it. Immediate build dependencies
> could easily be shown using the ebuild itself, and deep dependencies
> could be shown using equery something, but I just want to focus on
> dependencies you need to unmask when building.
>
> I usually just manually iterate through emerge -uDNtav world/something
> to make something like that happen, and it's just hit me that this
> sounds like a chore that's bound to have bugged someone.
>
> I'm not looking for a tool that writes my package.keywords/* for me,
> I'd like to do that myself, but the iteration process is more painful
> than it should be "manually". If there's none I was wondering what
> kinds of challenges would it take to write one in python as that
> sounds like a cool exercise to try out.

Have you looked at autounmask?

Does it do what you need?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Daniel Wagener 03-06-2010 10:53 AM

Any nice tools for emerge dependency resolution listing?

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 18:19:19 +0800
Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm wondering if anyone's written a script that looks deep into the
> build dependencies of some package foo, and gives you a list of
> ebuilds you need to unmask to build it. Immediate build dependencies
> could easily be shown using the ebuild itself, and deep dependencies
> could be shown using equery something, but I just want to focus on
> dependencies you need to unmask when building.
>
> I usually just manually iterate through emerge -uDNtav world/something
> to make something like that happen, and it's just hit me that this
> sounds like a chore that's bound to have bugged someone.
>
> I'm not looking for a tool that writes my package.keywords/* for me,
> I'd like to do that myself, but the iteration process is more painful
> than it should be "manually". If there's none I was wondering what
> kinds of challenges would it take to write one in python as that
> sounds like a cool exercise to try out.

autounmask --pretend maybe?