Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Mick

Default Can't get Xorg going on Radeon HD R730 4670

I first tried radeonhd, but Xorg.0.log complained that it couldn't find the
ati module, so I added radeon in VIDEO_CARDS and it now comes up with this
error:
(EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so failed
(/usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory)
(EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

Have you seen this before? Any idea what I should tweak now to get this
going?
Mick

Old 03-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 06 März 2010, Mick wrote:
> I first tried radeonhd, but Xorg.0.log complained that it couldn't find the
> ati module, so I added radeon in VIDEO_CARDS and it now comes up with this
> error:
> (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so failed
> (/usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory)
> (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
>
> Have you seen this before? Any idea what I should tweak now to get this
> going?

mesa. You need to install mesa with the right flags.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Mick

On Saturday 06 March 2010 16:08:05 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Samstag 06 März 2010, Mick wrote:
> > I first tried radeonhd, but Xorg.0.log complained that it couldn't find
> > the ati module, so I added radeon in VIDEO_CARDS and it now comes up with
> > this error:
> > (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so failed
> > (/usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> > or directory)
> > (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
> >
> > Have you seen this before? Any idea what I should tweak now to get this
> > going?
>
> mesa. You need to install mesa with the right flags.

Thanks Volker,

I had installed mesa with the radeon flag already, but now I just
unmasked/updated it to 2.4.8 and the above error is gone!

However, still no X. :-(

I have also added mouse and synaptics, after initially trying with only evdev
in my INPUT_DEVICES. So now it looks like this:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics evdev"

When I added synaptics I got an error about RECORD being disabled because it
is broken. I attach my logs in case there is something in there showing why
this is not working and I can't see it.

I can't explain why both Knoppix and Sysrescue CDs work fine and my Gentoo
build does not. I even used their xorg.conf as a guide and still no joy. I
noticed this message (with no xorg.conf):
(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AutoAddDevices.
but I am not sure how I can reconfigure HAL.

Any suggestions before I rip all this out and have a go at the ATI proprietary
drivers is most welcome.
Mick

Old 03-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 06 März 2010, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 06 March 2010 16:08:05 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Samstag 06 März 2010, Mick wrote:
> > > I first tried radeonhd, but Xorg.0.log complained that it couldn't find
> > > the ati module, so I added radeon in VIDEO_CARDS and it now comes up
> > > with this error:
> > > ===========================================
> > > (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of /usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so failed
> > > (/usr/lib64/dri/r600_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
> > > file or directory)
> > > (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
> > > ===========================================
> > >
> > > Have you seen this before? Any idea what I should tweak now to get
> > > this going?
> >
> > mesa. You need to install mesa with the right flags.
>
> Thanks Volker,
>
> I had installed mesa with the radeon flag already, but now I just
> unmasked/updated it to 2.4.8 and the above error is gone!
>
> However, still no X. :-(
>
> I have also added mouse and synaptics, after initially trying with only
> evdev in my INPUT_DEVICES. So now it looks like this:
>
> INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics evdev"
>
> When I added synaptics I got an error about RECORD being disabled because
> it is broken. I attach my logs in case there is something in there
> showing why this is not working and I can't see it.

RECORD does not matter.

> I can't explain why both Knoppix and Sysrescue CDs work fine and my Gentoo
> build does not. I even used their xorg.conf as a guide and still no joy.
> I noticed this message (with no xorg.conf):

yeah. please create a xorg.conf. Depending on hal is nice and dandy in theory.
But so does not work for many people.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Mick

On Saturday 06 March 2010 18:43:15 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Samstag 06 März 2010, Mick wrote:

> > > mesa. You need to install mesa with the right flags.
> >
> > Thanks Volker,
> >
> > I had installed mesa with the radeon flag already, but now I just
> > unmasked/updated it to 2.4.8 and the above error is gone!
> >
> > However, still no X. :-(
> >
> > I have also added mouse and synaptics, after initially trying with only
> > evdev in my INPUT_DEVICES. So now it looks like this:
> >
> > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics evdev"
> >
> > When I added synaptics I got an error about RECORD being disabled because
> > it is broken. I attach my logs in case there is something in there
> > showing why this is not working and I can't see it.
>
> RECORD does not matter.
>
> > I can't explain why both Knoppix and Sysrescue CDs work fine and my
> > Gentoo build does not. I even used their xorg.conf as a guide and still
> > no joy. I noticed this message (with no xorg.conf):
>
> yeah. please create a xorg.conf. Depending on hal is nice and dandy in
> theory. But so does not work for many people.

Hmm, can't make it work after multiple attempts of creating and editing a
xorg.conf. I think that the problem is with the drivers and perhaps the
versions of xorg-server and or mesa. I am using the latest testing of
everything and unmasked any dependencies that they had.

Tomorrow I will have a go at the fglrx. This is doing my head in ...
Mick

Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 07 März 2010, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 06 March 2010 18:43:15 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > > Thanks Volker,
> > >
> > > I had installed mesa with the radeon flag already, but now I just
> > > unmasked/updated it to 2.4.8 and the above error is gone!
> > >
> > > However, still no X. :-(
> > >
> > > I have also added mouse and synaptics, after initially trying with only
> > > evdev in my INPUT_DEVICES. So now it looks like this:
> > >
> > > INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse synaptics evdev"
> > >
> > > When I added synaptics I got an error about RECORD being disabled
> > > because it is broken. I attach my logs in case there is something in
> > > there showing why this is not working and I can't see it.
> >
> > RECORD does not matter.
> >
> > > I can't explain why both Knoppix and Sysrescue CDs work fine and my
> > > Gentoo build does not. I even used their xorg.conf as a guide and
> > > still
> >
> > > no joy. I noticed this message (with no xorg.conf):
> > yeah. please create a xorg.conf. Depending on hal is nice and dandy in
> >
> > theory. But so does not work for many people.
>
> Hmm, can't make it work after multiple attempts of creating and editing a
> xorg.conf. I think that the problem is with the drivers and perhaps the
> versions of xorg-server and or mesa. I am using the latest testing of
> everything and unmasked any dependencies that they had.
>
> Tomorrow I will have a go at the fglrx. This is doing my head in ...

fglrx won't have any influence on your INPUT DRIVER based problem. After
emerging the latest xorg-server, did you rebuilt the input drivers?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:21 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

[...]

If you did, you may want to disable hal and try it without it. Just put
it in package.use or something, recompile xorg and see if it works. If
it does, it's hal. If it doesn't, then you got a problem with something
else. The reason I would try this is to see what is the problem. If it
is hal, people can try to help you get it going if you want to. If it
is not hal, then people will now that it is not the problem and can help
you try something else.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. You should only need to disable hal on xorg. You can leave it
elsewhere. That is why I mentioned doing it in package.use instead of
make.conf. You could do it on the command line to, just for testing.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Mick

On Sunday 07 March 2010 02:21:39 Dale wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > On Sonntag 07 März 2010, Mick wrote:

> >> Tomorrow I will have a go at the fglrx. This is doing my head in ...
> >
> > fglrx won't have any influence on your INPUT DRIVER based problem. After
> > emerging the latest xorg-server, did you rebuilt the input drivers?

Yes (I have rebuilt everything so many times I have lost count).

> If you did, you may want to disable hal and try it without it.

I've recompiled xorg-server-1.7.5 without HAL and also the synaptics driver.
For good measure I rebuilt all xf76-input and video drivers (although they
were not affected by hal).

It doesn't work, with or without HAL.

I attach the latest xorg.conf and the Xorg.0.log. Comparing with Knoppix
which works nicely, I see that in my logs the lines:
(II) LoadModule: "ati"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
(II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0

just before load module "radeon" are absent. Could this have something to do
with it? Knoppix is running 32bit kernel.

Also, I noticed that Knoppix picks up additional devices (webcam, etc) under
KEYBOARD. Not sure if this relevant, but mine seems to bail out after it
detects the Keyboard.
Mick

Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 07 März 2010, Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 07 March 2010 02:21:39 Dale wrote:
> > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > >
> > > fglrx won't have any influence on your INPUT DRIVER based problem.
> > > After emerging the latest xorg-server, did you rebuilt the input
> > > drivers?
>
> Yes (I have rebuilt everything so many times I have lost count).
>
> > If you did, you may want to disable hal and try it without it.
>
> I've recompiled xorg-server-1.7.5 without HAL and also the synaptics
> driver. For good measure I rebuilt all xf76-input and video drivers
> (although they were not affected by hal).
>
> It doesn't work, with or without HAL.
>
> I attach the latest xorg.conf and the Xorg.0.log. Comparing with Knoppix
> which works nicely, I see that in my logs the lines:
> (II) LoadModule: "ati"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
> (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> compiled for 1.7.4, module version = 6.12.4
> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
>
> just before load module "radeon" are absent. Could this have something to
> do with it? Knoppix is running 32bit kernel.
>
> Also, I noticed that Knoppix picks up additional devices (webcam, etc)
> under KEYBOARD. Not sure if this relevant, but mine seems to bail out
> after it detects the Keyboard.

please post your xorg.conf

Old 03-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Mick

On Sunday 07 March 2010 11:09:22 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Sonntag 07 März 2010, Mick wrote:

> > Yes (I have rebuilt everything so many times I have lost count).
> >
> > > If you did, you may want to disable hal and try it without it.
> >
> > I've recompiled xorg-server-1.7.5 without HAL and also the synaptics
> > driver. For good measure I rebuilt all xf76-input and video drivers
> > (although they were not affected by hal).
> >
> > It doesn't work, with or without HAL.
> >
> > I attach the latest xorg.conf and the Xorg.0.log. Comparing with Knoppix
> > which works nicely, I see that in my logs the lines:
> > (II) LoadModule: "ati"
> > (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
> > (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> > compiled for 1.7.4, module version = 6.12.4
> > Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> > ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
> >
> > just before load module "radeon" are absent. Could this have something
> > to do with it? Knoppix is running 32bit kernel.
> >
> > Also, I noticed that Knoppix picks up additional devices (webcam, etc)
> > under KEYBOARD. Not sure if this relevant, but mine seems to bail out
> > after it detects the Keyboard.
>
> please post your xorg.conf

I already did, but just in case, here is my latest effort, along with the
Xorg.0.log. I am not (yet) convinced that this is a HAL problem.
Mick