-   -   Any nice tools for emerge dependency resolution listing? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/336980-any-nice-tools-emerge-dependency-resolution-listing.html)

Mark David Dumlao 03-06-2010 09:19 AM

Any nice tools for emerge dependency resolution listing?

Hi!
I'm wondering if anyone's written a script that looks deep into the
build dependencies of some package foo, and gives you a list of
ebuilds you need to unmask to build it. Immediate build dependencies
could easily be shown using the ebuild itself, and deep dependencies
could be shown using equery something, but I just want to focus on
dependencies you need to unmask when building.

I usually just manually iterate through emerge -uDNtav world/something
to make something like that happen, and it's just hit me that this
sounds like a chore that's bound to have bugged someone.

I'm not looking for a tool that writes my package.keywords/* for me,
I'd like to do that myself, but the iteration process is more painful
than it should be "manually". If there's none I was wondering what
kinds of challenges would it take to write one in python as that
sounds like a cool exercise to try out.
--
This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no

Mark David Dumlao 03-06-2010 01:10 PM

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Daniel Wagener <stelf@gmx.net> wrote:

> autounmask --pretend maybe?

Thanks guys, I'll look into that a little later :)

--
This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [ ] none

Dale 03-06-2010 06:15 PM

Mark David Dumlao wrote:

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Daniel Wagener<stelf@gmx.net> wrote:

autounmask --pretend maybe?

Thanks guys, I'll look into that a little later :)

I'll add this as well. If you use autounmask and you have
portage.unmask and friends as a directory, it names each file and does
them separately. So, if you use it and don't like it, just delete the
file and do something else.

If you still have package.unmask and friends as a file, it separates
each run into the file. It tells where it starts and where it ends so
it is a lot easier to delete things if you don't like or want something
there anymore.

It's pretty neat.

Dale

:-) :-)

Mark David Dumlao 03-07-2010 04:01 AM

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll add this as well. *If you use autounmask and you have portage.unmask
> and friends as a directory, it names each file and does them separately.
> *So, if you use it and don't like it, just delete the file and do something
> else.
>
> If you still have package.unmask and friends as a file, it separates each
> run into the file. *It tells where it starts and where it ends so it is a
> lot easier to delete things if you don't like or want something there
> anymore.
>
> It's pretty neat.
Beautiful! I'm trying it out right now... autounmask may be more
organized than I ever was if I just keep targetting meta packages and
manually unblocking key blockers.

Anyone else have neat package.*/ organization tricks I haven't heard of?

--
This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [ ] social
Response needed: [ ] yes [ ] up to you [ ] no

Dale 03-07-2010 04:30 AM

Mark David Dumlao wrote:

[...]

The only thing I have noticed, it doesn't seem to work with layman. It
may be a setting on my part or it just doesn't see them but I can't get
it to work with layman stuff. I been trying to figure out the newer KDE
4 stuff. Google is getting tired of me. lol

Dale

:-) :-)