FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 AM
"Dmitry S. Makovey"
 
Default Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and sound card

Hi everybody,

I have just bought Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and much to my suprise
things pretty much worked out of the box... almost. As I have discovered
- even though video is working flawlessly, my audio has gone AWOL. No
matter how many goats and virgins I have sacrificed to the gods of
Google - can not find an answer. Am I missing something obvious? As a
stop-gap measure I'm trying to rebuild my kernel without USB sound
support, but it would be nice to not resort to such drastic measures.
 
Old 03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and sound card

2010/3/4 Dmitry S. Makovey <dimon@makovey.net>:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have just bought Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and much to my suprise
> things pretty much worked out of the box... almost. As I have discovered
> - even though video is working flawlessly, my audio has gone AWOL. No
> matter how many goats and virgins I have sacrificed to the gods of
> Google - can not find an answer. Am I missing something obvious? As a
> stop-gap measure I'm trying to rebuild my kernel without USB sound
> support, but it would be nice to not resort to such drastic measures.

I have the same webcam. My work-around is to unplug the webcam before
you reboot. Real fix would be set up alsa so it knows the proper order
of soundcards... I've never been able to get it to do that, though, so
I just unplug webcam until I want to use it. If someone else has
figured out how, I'd be happy to hear it too.
 
Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Dmitry Makovey
 
Default Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and sound card

On 03/04/2010 08:37 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
> 2010/3/4 Dmitry S. Makovey <dimon@makovey.net>:
>
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I have just bought Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and much to my suprise
>> things pretty much worked out of the box... almost. As I have discovered
>> - even though video is working flawlessly, my audio has gone AWOL.
> I have the same webcam. My work-around is to unplug the webcam before
> you reboot. Real fix would be set up alsa so it knows the proper order
> of soundcards... I've never been able to get it to do that, though, so
> I just unplug webcam until I want to use it. If someone else has
> figured out how, I'd be happy to hear it too.
>
well I've figured it out half-way (based on
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/MultipleCards )

alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore

options snd major=116 cards_limit=4

alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-osshree
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
alias sound-slot-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1
options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-usb-audio

Now my problem is that the only control ALSA shows for my built-in
"hda-intel" is "Master" with no sub-channles available. Anybody
knowledgeable enough to suggest where is the problem?
 
Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Paul Hartman
 
Default Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and sound card

2010/3/5 Dmitry Makovey <mldimon@makovey.net>:
> On 03/04/2010 08:37 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>> 2010/3/4 Dmitry S. Makovey <dimon@makovey.net>:
>>
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I have just bought Logitech WebCam Pro 9000 and much to my suprise
>>> things pretty much worked out of the box... almost. As I have discovered
>>> - even though video is working flawlessly, my audio has gone AWOL.
>> I have the same webcam. My work-around is to unplug the webcam before
>> you reboot. Real fix would be set up alsa so it knows the proper order
>> of soundcards... I've never been able to get it to do that, though, so
>> I just unplug webcam until I want to use it. If someone else has
>> figured out how, I'd be happy to hear it too.
>>
> well I've figured it out half-way (based on
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/MultipleCards )
>
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
>
> options snd major=116 cards_limit=4
>
> alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
> alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
> alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
>
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-osshree
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-hda-intel index=0
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=1
> options snd slots=snd-hda-intel,snd-usb-audio
>
> Now my problem is that the only control ALSA shows for my built-in
> "hda-intel" is "Master" with no sub-channles available. Anybody
> knowledgeable enough to suggest where is the problem?

To make ALSA show the proper controls for my sound card I had to tell
it which model I'm using /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-dig

Look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt to
see the list of models. Hopefully then it will show things appropriate
to yours.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org