Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Xi Shen

Default nepomuk 4.4 is emerged with kde 4.3

hi,

my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. and i found nepomuk, along with
some other packages, are using 4.4 version. is it correct?

also, i have a problem with nepomuk. whenever i start X, it pops up
"Nepomuk was not able to find the configured database backend
'sesame2'. Existing data can thus not be". the message is truncated,
and i have no way to read them all. how can i fix this?

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Old 03-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 04 March 2010 02:27:40 Xi Shen wrote:
> hi,
>
> my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. and i found nepomuk, along with
> some other packages, are using 4.4 version. is it correct?

No.

Nepomuk is slotted like KDE. I suspect you are running a stable system and
have added nepomuk to packages.keywords and it is now pulling in latest
~arch nepomuk

> also, i have a problem with nepomuk. whenever i start X, it pops up
> "Nepomuk was not able to find the configured database backend
> 'sesame2'. Existing data can thus not be". the message is truncated,
> and i have no way to read them all. how can i fix this?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Xi Shen

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2010 02:27:40 Xi Shen wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. and i found nepomuk, along with
>> some other packages, are using 4.4 version. is it correct?
>
> No.
>
> Nepomuk is slotted like KDE. I suspect you are running a stable system and
> have added nepomuk to packages.keywords and it is now pulling in latest
> ~arch nepomuk

oh, i guess it all my fault. i tried to emerge kde 4.4 once, but
failed. i did not have time to resolve the error. so i rolled back to
kde 4.3, and did a simple emerge -uvND world. i think this did not
help me roll back the packages that were updated when i was trying to
emerge kde 4.4.

how should i roll back those miss updated packages back to 4.3? or can
someone tell me if kde 4.4 is pretty stable to use for desktop?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:33 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 04 March 2010 04:02:56 Xi Shen wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Thursday 04 March 2010 02:27:40 Xi Shen wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. and i found nepomuk, along with
> >> some other packages, are using 4.4 version. is it correct?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > Nepomuk is slotted like KDE. I suspect you are running a stable system
> > and have added nepomuk to packages.keywords and it is now pulling in
> > latest ~arch nepomuk
>
> oh, i guess it all my fault. i tried to emerge kde 4.4 once, but
> failed. i did not have time to resolve the error. so i rolled back to
> kde 4.3, and did a simple emerge -uvND world. i think this did not
> help me roll back the packages that were updated when i was trying to
> emerge kde 4.4.
>
> how should i roll back those miss updated packages back to 4.3? or can
> someone tell me if kde 4.4 is pretty stable to use for desktop?

4.4 is as safe to use as 4.3 (or equally broken depending on your point of
view).

If you run an arch machine, then remove all the KDE stuff out of
package.keywords and let emerge -avuND world do it's thing. Don't try and run
unstable KDE on a stable machine, you end up with too much stuff in ~arch.

If you run an ~arch machine, then do nothing and let emerge -avuND world do
it's thing.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 10:02:56 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:

> how should i roll back those miss updated packages back to 4.3? or can
> someone tell me if kde 4.4 is pretty stable to use for desktop?

I've found 4.4, even the betas, to be far more stable than 4.3. It's the
first version that I consider properly usable.

--
Neil Bothwick

It's the year 2000. Where are all the flying cars? I was promised flying
cars!