FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

When upgrading a machine today, I saw a notice that mythtv 0.21 has
now been hardmasked. I think it's because it depends on an obsolte
version of Qt. Don't get me started on the royal PITA of requiring
that Qt be installed for a backend-only setup on a server.

Since 0.21 and 0.23 is hardmasked, and mythv 0.22 is unstable on
everything except the amd64 platform, what's an X86 user to do?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My face is new, my
at license is expired, and I'm
gmail.com under a doctor's care!!!!
 
Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> When upgrading a machine today, I saw a notice that mythtv 0.21 has
> now been hardmasked. *I think it's because it depends on an obsolte
> version of Qt. *Don't get me started on the royal PITA of requiring
> that Qt be installed for a backend-only setup on a server.
>
> Since 0.21 and 0.23 is hardmasked, and mythv 0.22 is unstable on
> everything except the amd64 platform, what's an X86 user to do?
>
> --
> Grant Edwards * * * * * * * grant.b.edwards * * * *Yow! My face is new, my

I think this is being handled badly but that sort of the way it is for
a few days anyway. Shortly 0.22 will be unmasked as stable if it isn't
already, but there are LOTS and LOTS of things we need to be careful
about when changing or the Myth database will get messed up and
possibly be unusable.

It seems that a few devs can decide that something like qt3 is enough
to force people to move forward. I've got 5 x64/amd64 frontends plus a
backend PPC server. I'm not convinced they thought about this sort of
mixed environment issue but that's the way it is.

I am expecting that it's going to be a bad couple of weeks....

I'd like to find some sort of sunset overlay for 0.21 but I haven't
looked. Let me know if you go that way.

- Mark
 
Old 03-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:52:46 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> Since 0.21 and 0.23 is hardmasked, and mythv 0.22 is unstable on
> everything except the amd64 platform, what's an X86 user to do?

It may be in a testing ebuild but it is far from unstable:

% ssh mythtv@agrajag uptime
17:58:52 up 51 days, 16:25, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.10, 0.09


--
Neil Bothwick

"Apple I" (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Willie Wong
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 05:59:32PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> % ssh mythtv@agrajag uptime
> 17:58:52 up 51 days, 16:25, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.10, 0.09

You call it Agrajag and talk about stability? You big tempter of fate
you.



W

--
Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton
 
Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When upgrading a machine today, I saw a notice that mythtv 0.21 has
>> now been hardmasked. ??I think it's because it depends on an obsolte
>> version of Qt. ??Don't get me started on the royal PITA of requiring
>> that Qt be installed for a backend-only setup on a server.
>>
>> Since 0.21 and 0.23 is hardmasked, and mythv 0.22 is unstable on
>> everything except the amd64 platform, what's an X86 user to do?

> I think this is being handled badly but that sort of the way it is for
> a few days anyway. Shortly 0.22 will be unmasked as stable if it isn't
> already, but there are LOTS and LOTS of things we need to be careful
> about when changing or the Myth database will get messed up and
> possibly be unusable.

I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
painful as it might have been. I'll still have to re-build the
frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.

> It seems that a few devs can decide that something like qt3 is enough
> to force people to move forward. I've got 5 x64/amd64 frontends plus
> a backend PPC server. I'm not convinced they thought about this sort
> of mixed environment issue but that's the way it is.
>
> I am expecting that it's going to be a bad couple of weeks....
>
> I'd like to find some sort of sunset overlay for 0.21 but I haven't
> looked. Let me know if you go that way.

I'll probably try upgrading to 0.22.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! We're going to a
at new disco!
gmail.com
 
Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When upgrading a machine today, I saw a notice that mythtv 0.21 has
>>> now been hardmasked. ??I think it's because it depends on an obsolte
>>> version of Qt. ??Don't get me started on the royal PITA of requiring
>>> that Qt be installed for a backend-only setup on a server.
>>>
>>> Since 0.21 and 0.23 is hardmasked, and mythv 0.22 is unstable on
>>> everything except the amd64 platform, what's an X86 user to do?
>
>> I think this is being handled badly but that sort of the way it is for
>> a few days anyway. Shortly 0.22 will be unmasked as stable if it isn't
>> already, but there are LOTS and LOTS of things we need to be careful
>> about when changing or the Myth database will get messed up and
>> possibly be unusable.
>
> I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
> it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
> painful as it might have been. *I'll still have to re-build the
> frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.

You are already using latin1 throughout your database? You are lucky
if that's true. It isn't for me but I've been running myth for about 4
years now.

I would suggest that if you use __any__ remote frontends and there is
any chance of someone else powering one up and using Myth then you
should first emerge -C mythtv on ALL frontend-only machines, upgrade
your server, emerge mythtv-0.22 on one frontend, make sure it works,
and then move on with any other machine.

Good luck and report back how it goes!

- Mark

<SNIP>
>
> I'll probably try upgrading to 0.22.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards * * * * * * * grant.b.edwards * * * *Yow! We're going to a
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *at * * * * * * * new disco!
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *gmail.com
>
>
>
 
Old 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 18:52:46 Grant Edwards wrote:
> When upgrading a machine today, I saw a notice that mythtv 0.21 has
> now been hardmasked. I think it's because it depends on an obsolte
> version of Qt. Don't get me started on the royal PITA of requiring
> that Qt be installed for a backend-only setup on a server.
>
> Since 0.21 and 0.23 is hardmasked, and mythv 0.22 is unstable on
> everything except the amd64 platform, what's an X86 user to do?

Move the needed Qt-3 ebuilds to your local private overlay along with the
mythtv ebuilds, unmask mythtv, continue as normal.


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 20:23:01 Willie Wong wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 05:59:32PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > % ssh mythtv@agrajag uptime
> >
> > 17:58:52 up 51 days, 16:25, 1 user, load average: 0.17, 0.10, 0.09
>
> You call it Agrajag and talk about stability? You big tempter of fate
> you.


Wasn't Agrajag the toothless wonder that kept getting accidentally killed by
Arthur Dent?


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards
>>
>> I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
>> it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
>> painful as it might have been. ??I'll still have to re-build the
>> frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.
>
> You are already using latin1 throughout your database?

Apparently:

$ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
Enter password:
--------------
mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.84, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.0

Connection id: 106
Current database: mythconverg
Current user: mythtv@localhost
SSL: Not in use
Current pager: stdout
Using outfile: '
Using delimiter: ;
Server version: 5.0.84-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.84-r1
Protocol version: 10
Connection: Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset: latin1
Db characterset: latin1
Client characterset: latin1
Conn. characterset: latin1
UNIX socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Uptime: 1 day 20 hours 44 min 55 sec

Threads: 5 Questions: 261810 Slow queries: 0 Opens: 1400 Flush tables: 1 Open tables: 59 Queries per second avg: 1.625
--------------


> You are lucky if that's true. It isn't for me but I've been running
> myth for about 4 years now.

I've been running Myth for a while (6 years?), but this database was
created about 7 months ago when I switched from a dedicated FE/BE
machine running KnoppMyth to a split FE/BE setup where the BE runs on
a non-dedicated Gentoo machine. Not sure how it ended up this way
other than the fact that I don't have UTF support enabled on that box
(at some point in the past, having UTF support enabled broke something
else, but I don't remember what).

> I would suggest that if you use __any__ remote frontends and there is
> any chance of someone else powering one up and using Myth then you
> should first emerge -C mythtv on ALL frontend-only machines,

The FE doesn't run Gentoo, it runs MiniMyth -- I _think_ all I need to
do is replace the 0.21 rootfs on the USB flash drive with the one
containing 0.22...

> upgrade your server, emerge mythtv-0.22 on one frontend, make sure it
> works, and then move on with any other machine.
>
> Good luck and report back how it goes!

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Are we on STRIKE yet?
at
gmail.com
 
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default No more mythtv for Gentoo users?

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards
>>>
>>> I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
>>> it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
>>> painful as it might have been. ??I'll still have to re-build the
>>> frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.
>>
>> You are already using latin1 throughout your database?
>
> Apparently:
>
> $ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
> Enter password:
> --------------
> mysql *Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.84, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.0
>
> Connection id: * * * * *106
> Current database: * * * mythconverg
> Current user: * * * * * mythtv@localhost
> SSL: * * * * * * * * * *Not in use
> Current pager: * * * * *stdout
> Using outfile: * * * * *'
> Using delimiter: * * * *;
> Server version: * * * * 5.0.84-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.84-r1
> Protocol version: * * * 10
> Connection: * * * * * * Localhost via UNIX socket
> Server characterset: * *latin1
> Db * * characterset: * *latin1
> Client characterset: * *latin1
> Conn. *characterset: * *latin1
> UNIX socket: * * * * * */var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> Uptime: * * * * * * * * 1 day 20 hours 44 min 55 sec
>
> Threads: 5 *Questions: 261810 *Slow queries: 0 *Opens: 1400 *Flush tables: 1 *Open tables: 59 *Queries per second avg: 1.625
> --------------
>

Good stuff. Not true for me.

>
>> You are lucky if that's true. It isn't for me but I've been running
>> myth for about 4 years now.
>
> I've been running Myth for a while (6 years?), but this database was
> created about 7 months ago when I switched from a dedicated FE/BE
> machine running KnoppMyth to a split FE/BE setup where the BE runs on
> a non-dedicated Gentoo machine. *Not sure how it ended up this way
> other than the fact that I don't have UTF support enabled on that box
> (at some point in the past, having UTF support enabled broke something
> else, but I don't remember what).
>
>> I would suggest that if you use __any__ remote frontends and there is
>> any chance of someone else powering one up and using Myth then you
>> should first emerge -C mythtv on ALL frontend-only machines,
>
> The FE doesn't run Gentoo, it runs MiniMyth -- I _think_ all I need to
> do is replace the 0.21 rootfs on the USB flash drive with the one
> containing 0.22...

You've probably read this elsewhere but apparently an older 0.21
frontend can corrupt the MythTV database. Maybe it won't happen for
you if you're already using all latin1 everywhere. I'm not so I have
to be careful.

Cheers,
Mark
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org