Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

Default Pending layman directory "relocation"

(this is a rather obvious fix...)

eselect news has a new notice, advising of the pending change of the
presumed location of the layman directory from /usr/local/portage/layman
to /var/lib/layman. It offers three ways to deal with this location
change. I chose alternative A. (actually moving the directory and
updating make.conf and layman make.conf) and wanted to do it before I
forgot about it.

However, until layman is actually upgraded to version 1.3x, the
script/executable will reference /usr/local/portage/layman and fail. So
layman users choosing alternative A. now may want to add a step; after
moving the directory, put a soft link in the /usr/local/portage pointing
to the new location; i.e.

cd /usr/local/portage; ln -s /var/lib/layman layman

HTH

Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

eselect news has a new notice, advising of the pending change of the
presumed location of the layman directory from /usr/local/portage/layman
to /var/lib/layman. It offers three ways to deal with this location
change. I chose alternative A. (actually moving the directory and
updating make.conf and layman make.conf) and wanted to do it before I
forgot about it.

However, until layman is actually upgraded to version 1.3x, the
script/executable will reference /usr/local/portage/layman and fail. So
layman users choosing alternative A. now may want to add a step; after
moving the directory, put a soft link in the /usr/local/portage pointing
to the new location; i.e.

cd /usr/local/portage; ln -s /var/lib/layman layman

Or you can edit /var/lib/layman/make.conf and change the locations there.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-03-01 1:08 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> So layman users choosing alternative A. now may want to add a step;
> after moving the directory, put a soft link in the /usr/local/portage
> pointing to the new location; i.e.
>
> cd /usr/local/portage; ln -s /var/lib/layman layman

Thanks, I was planning on doing the same thing and glad to be validated...

Question: the news itme also mentioned the reason as something like
'layman violates the general rule that nothing in portage should touch
anything in /usr/local'...

Well... my local overlays (that I set up a long time ago) are there...
and portage obviously 'touches' those, so... should I move them as well?

--

Charles

Old 03-01-2010, 06:02 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

So layman users choosing alternative A. now may want to add a step;
after moving the directory, put a soft link in the /usr/local/portage
pointing to the new location; i.e.

cd /usr/local/portage; ln -s /var/lib/layman layman

Thanks, I was planning on doing the same thing and glad to be validated...

Question: the news itme also mentioned the reason as something like
'layman violates the general rule that nothing in portage should touch
anything in /usr/local'...

Well... my local overlays (that I set up a long time ago) are there...
and portage obviously 'touches' those, so... should I move them as well?

I did; I simply moved the whole layman directory. Works.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 PM
7v5w7go9ub0o

eselect news has a new notice, advising of the pending change of the
presumed location of the layman directory from /usr/local/portage/layman
to /var/lib/layman. It offers three ways to deal with this location
change. I chose alternative A. (actually moving the directory and
updating make.conf and layman make.conf) and wanted to do it before I
forgot about it.

However, until layman is actually upgraded to version 1.3x, the
script/executable will reference /usr/local/portage/layman and fail. So
layman users choosing alternative A. now may want to add a step; after
moving the directory, put a soft link in the /usr/local/portage pointing
to the new location; i.e.

cd /usr/local/portage; ln -s /var/lib/layman layman

Or you can edit /var/lib/layman/make.conf and change the locations there.

That didn't work for me; the current layman script still references the
old location; which is why I added the soft link.

The new 1.3x script will reference the new location. (though I suppose
you could upgrade to 1.3 and avoid putting in the soft link)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 01 March 2010 20:30:24 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-03-01 1:08 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> > So layman users choosing alternative A. now may want to add a step;
> > after moving the directory, put a soft link in the /usr/local/portage
> > pointing to the new location; i.e.
> >
> > cd /usr/local/portage; ln -s /var/lib/layman layman
>
> Thanks, I was planning on doing the same thing and glad to be validated...
>
> Question: the news itme also mentioned the reason as something like
> 'layman violates the general rule that nothing in portage should touch
> anything in /usr/local'...
>
> Well... my local overlays (that I set up a long time ago) are there...
> and portage obviously 'touches' those, so... should I move them as well?

As it turns out, portage is hard-coded to skip over @PORT_DIR/local/ for the
simple reason that your personal local overlay goes there.

I have $PORT_DIR here redefined to be /var/portage/ and layman goes
/var/portage/local/layman/, mostly because I think FHS is a good standard and
it says /usr/ should be able to be mounted read-only.

In short, if you put an explicit entry in make.conf for the layman overlays,
you will be fine as you are no longer relying on a default that can change.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-03-01 2:02 PM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> I did; I simply moved the whole layman directory. Works.

Yeah, but I didn't start off using layman when I added my first local
ebuild a long time ago, so they are not under layman - they are at the
same level - ie, /usr/local/portage contains:

/app-admin
/layman
/mail-client

etc...

/etc/make.conf has:

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage"

Now that I think about it - I wouldn't want to add my manually added
ebuilds directly in the layman directory, would I? I'd think that would
confuse layman? Now *I'm* confused (somehow I manage to do this to
myself at least 2 or 3 times a day)...

--

Charles

Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Tanstaafl

On 2010-03-01 1:26 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> Or you can edit /var/lib/layman/make.conf

Also - why /var/lib/layman, and not /var/lib/portage/layman? It looks a
little odd just dumped in there all by itself.

--

Charles

Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 01 March 2010 22:19:45 Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-03-01 1:26 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Or you can edit /var/lib/layman/make.conf
>
> Also - why /var/lib/layman, and not /var/lib/portage/layman? It looks a
> little odd just dumped in there all by itself.

Becuase layman is not part of paortgae and can be used without portage (eg
with paludis).

Therefore it does not belong in the portage directory, which would imply it is
somehow part of portage when it is not

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:07:07 -0500, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:

> > Or you can edit /var/lib/layman/make.conf and change the locations
> > there.
>
> That didn't work for me; the current layman script still references the
> old location; which is why I added the soft link.

You have to set the location in /etc/layman/layman.cfg. My layman
directory is in neither of the locations you mention, but it works fine.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 01B: Illegal error - You are not allowed to get this error.
Next time you will get a penalty for that.