Old 03-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Lie Ryan

Default Official document for stabilization policy/guideline

I've found a few people referencing to a "30-day stabilization policy"
which basically says a package must be at least 30-days-old to be
considered for stabilization, but is there any document that serves as
an official guideline/checklist on how to consider to stabilize a
package? Is the 30-day policy the only policy?

I've been running several ~arch-ed packages that appears to be compile
and runs fine on my machine and would like to vote them for
stabilization. Is it enough to just open a bug issue and pray that the
arch manager would notice?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 01 March 2010 17:39:47 Lie Ryan wrote:
> I've found a few people referencing to a "30-day stabilization policy"
> which basically says a package must be at least 30-days-old to be
> considered for stabilization, but is there any document that serves as
> an official guideline/checklist on how to consider to stabilize a
> package? Is the 30-day policy the only policy?

30 days has always been the strong suggestion. Perhaps not always applied, but
always there as far as I recall.

> I've been running several ~arch-ed packages that appears to be compile
> and runs fine on my machine and would like to vote them for
> stabilization. Is it enough to just open a bug issue and pray that the
> arch manager would notice?

Yes, just open a new bug in b.g.o.

The bug wranglers will assign it to the appropriate team and you will get
email notifications when something happens. This lets you check in on the bug
every soon often to observe progress or perhaps bump if a long period of
inactivity has passed.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 03-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Justin

On 01/03/10 16:39, Lie Ryan wrote:
> I've found a few people referencing to a "30-day stabilization policy"
> which basically says a package must be at least 30-days-old to be
> considered for stabilization, but is there any document that serves as
> an official guideline/checklist on how to consider to stabilize a
> package? Is the 30-day policy the only policy?
>
> I've been running several ~arch-ed packages that appears to be compile
> and runs fine on my machine and would like to vote them for
> stabilization. Is it enough to just open a bug issue and pray that the
> arch manager would notice?

The policy says "30 day bug free", but it is always appreciated to get
feedback from users about packages which are stable on their systems. So
please go ahead and file bugs. If the maintainer has any objections
against a stabilization, you will be informed about that in the bug.

justin

Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Justin

On 01/03/10 16:39, Lie Ryan wrote:
> I've found a few people referencing to a "30-day stabilization policy"
> which basically says a package must be at least 30-days-old to be
> considered for stabilization, but is there any document that serves as
> an official guideline/checklist on how to consider to stabilize a
> package? Is the 30-day policy the only policy?
>
> I've been running several ~arch-ed packages that appears to be compile
> and runs fine on my machine and would like to vote them for
> stabilization. Is it enough to just open a bug issue and pray that the
> arch manager would notice?

You might be interested in those two things too

http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/2010/03/stabilizing-package-is-serious-thing.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg36433.html

Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM
William Hubbs

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 09:30:18AM +0100, Justin wrote:
> On 01/03/10 16:39, Lie Ryan wrote:
> > I've found a few people referencing to a "30-day stabilization policy"
> > which basically says a package must be at least 30-days-old to be
> > considered for stabilization, but is there any document that serves as
> > an official guideline/checklist on how to consider to stabilize a
> > package? Is the 30-day policy the only policy?
> >
> > I've been running several ~arch-ed packages that appears to be compile
> > and runs fine on my machine and would like to vote them for
> > stabilization. Is it enough to just open a bug issue and pray that the
> > arch manager would notice?
> >

> You might be interested in those two things too
>

> http://phajdan-jr.blogspot.com/2010/03/stabilizing-package-is-serious-thing.html
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org/msg36433.html

In a nutshell, anyone can request stabilization of a package. If
something has been in the tree for at least 30 days without issues and
there isn't a stabilization request filed for it already, feel free
to file one.

William

Old 03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Lie Ryan

On 03/03/2010 04:52 AM, Mark Loeser wrote:
> Lie Ryan <lie.1296@gmail.com> said:
>> I've been running several ~arch-ed packages that appears to be compile
>> and runs fine on my machine and would like to vote them for
>> stabilization. Is it enough to just open a bug issue and pray that the
>> arch manager would notice?
>
> The general policy is here:
>
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html#moving-from-~arch-to-arch
>
> Open a bug and let the package maintainer decide if that version should
> go stable yet, or not at all. We don't mark every version of each
> package stable since that would waste a lot of cycles all around.

Thanks, these are exactly what I've not been able to look for for some time.