-   -   Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo. (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/333798-manual-pages-man-pages-have-esc-all-through-them-when-having-used-sudo.html)

Neil Bothwick 03-01-2010 09:11 AM

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:08:22 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> We just log the fact of running sudo. The admins are trusted to not
> cock things up, and if they do, to not try and hide it. The philosophy
> is simple - if we feel we can't trust you, we would not have hired you.

That is sensible, if not good for your BOFH rating :)

> Editing root's history after the fact to hide your tracks is considered
> a heinous crime of unimaginable proportions. Anyone caught doing it is
> sentenced to buy cake for the entire technical team. That's about 100
> people. And when I saw cake I don't mean a teeny weeny jam tart each, I
> mean cake - chocolate filled croissants, black forest and my personal
> favourite: 4 inch high carrot cake.

I take that back :)

--
Neil Bothwick

Forget the Joneses...I can't keep up with The Simpsons.

Mick 03-02-2010 05:33 AM

On Monday 01 March 2010 10:11:18 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:08:22 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > We just log the fact of running sudo. The admins are trusted to not
> > cock things up, and if they do, to not try and hide it. The philosophy
> > is simple - if we feel we can't trust you, we would not have hired you.
>
> That is sensible, if not good for your BOFH rating :)
>
> > Editing root's history after the fact to hide your tracks is considered
> > a heinous crime of unimaginable proportions. Anyone caught doing it is
> > sentenced to buy cake for the entire technical team. That's about 100
> > people. And when I saw cake I don't mean a teeny weeny jam tart each, I
> > mean cake - chocolate filled croissants, black forest and my personal
> > favourite: 4 inch high carrot cake.
>
> I take that back :)

Coming back to the OP, on a brand new installation, while on the console and
logged in as root user, I also see ESC all over the man pages. I do not have
this problem on older boxen, nor do I remember noticing it in the past. What
is causing it and what is the fix?
Mick

Alan McKinnon 03-02-2010 05:39 AM

On Tuesday 02 March 2010 08:33:07 Mick wrote:
> On Monday 01 March 2010 10:11:18 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:08:22 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > We just log the fact of running sudo. The admins are trusted to not
> > > cock things up, and if they do, to not try and hide it. The philosophy
> > > is simple - if we feel we can't trust you, we would not have hired you.
> >
> > That is sensible, if not good for your BOFH rating :)
> >
> > > Editing root's history after the fact to hide your tracks is considered
> > > a heinous crime of unimaginable proportions. Anyone caught doing it is
> > > sentenced to buy cake for the entire technical team. That's about 100
> > > people. And when I saw cake I don't mean a teeny weeny jam tart each, I
> > > mean cake - chocolate filled croissants, black forest and my personal
> > > favourite: 4 inch high carrot cake.
> >
> > I take that back :)
>
> Coming back to the OP, on a brand new installation, while on the console
> and logged in as root user, I also see ESC all over the man pages. I do
> not have this problem on older boxen, nor do I remember noticing it in the
> past. What is causing it and what is the fix?

Compare the environment between root and a non-root user when running a login
shell.

The answer should be self-evident when you have the correct data in front of
you to compare

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Kostya Sha 03-21-2010 09:13 PM

Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.

Try `env-update && source /etc/profile`.