Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default mail client for mbox format sought

Hi,

my setup here is a running Postix MTA which stores all incoming mail
into a single file (per user) in mbox format (/var/spool/mail/$USER)

I'm desparately looking for a mail client with a GUI which can handle
that.
I didn't manage to configure Thunderbird(-3.0.1) (it always tries to set
up an IMAP or POP3 account) and importing mails from the mbox file again
and again isn't a solution.

I've tried Evolution, setting "Receiving Email' to 'Standard Unix mbox
spool file'.
This shows my email headers but when I click on one of these I always
get
'Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync'

I've been googling around but any suggestions to remove some index files
didn't help either.

So, does anybody know a solution?

Many thanks,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 01 March 2010 11:08:27 Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:06:49AM +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > my setup here is a running Postix MTA which stores all incoming mail
> > into a single file (per user) in mbox format (/var/spool/mail/$USER)
> >
> > I'm desparately looking for a mail client with a GUI which can handle
> > that.
> > I didn't manage to configure Thunderbird(-3.0.1) (it always tries to set
> > up an IMAP or POP3 account) and importing mails from the mbox file again
> > and again isn't a solution.
> >
> > I've tried Evolution, setting "Receiving Email' to 'Standard Unix mbox
> > spool file'.
> > This shows my email headers but when I click on one of these I always
> > get
> > 'Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync'
> >
> > I've been googling around but any suggestions to remove some index files
> > didn't help either.
> >
> > So, does anybody know a solution?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Helmut.
>
> How about claws? As far as I remember it supports mbox format :-)

As does mail, mailx, kmail and mutt.

Actually, almost every mail client except Evolution - which seems to insist on
doing it's own weird thing with mboxes.
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com