Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Holla

Default Which is worse: Power fail during hibernation or powerdown ?

Hi,

I am wondering which is worse: if the power were to fail when the
system is preparing for hibernation (after the hibernate command) or
when the system is powering down ?

Here is the background for this..

I am in the process of configuring NUT (networkupstools.org) on my
gentoo system. For the shutdown option in low battery condition
I have hibernation or powerdown as choices.

My problem is that my UPS is not directly supported by NUT. However
using the common driver (megatec) I could get some support but
the following key problem exists.

"....
UPS status: 210.1 210.1 209.0 011 49.4 41.0 40.0 00001001
36.0V battery, present voltage (41.0V) outside of supported intervals.
This UPS has an unsupported combination of battery voltage/number of batteries.
"

NUT mailing list has some info regarding how manually one can
enter the batter voltage information. Fear now is that while this
trial and error process of configuring is going on, NUT and the UPS may
not co-operate and hence detect the low-battery condition in right time.
So I am wondering which shutdown option is better atleast during this
step.

Regards
Sathish