Old 02-28-2010, 03:32 AM
Dan Cowsill

Default Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I have logged in through sudo such as $ sudo su, when I then use man
> pages, they are covered in "ESC". *This does not occur when using normal
> user accounts or the root account through su. *Wondering what is going
> on. *Thanks.

Kind of curious about this myself. It has just been a minor annoyance
to me for the last couple of years, but it seems to show up only when
logged onto root.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 PM
stosss

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 7:28 AM, pk <peterk2@coolmail.se> wrote:
> ubiquitous1980 wrote:
>
>>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-security/2006/07/msg00059.html
>
>> With "sudo su - " the man pages do not have ESC throughout. *I have
>> learned sudo su from my ubuntu days and I am only guessing that this is
>> bad practice and that the correct command is $ sudo su -
>
> No need to guess. Messing with superuser privileges without a proper
> superuser environment (paths etc.) is considered bad from a security
> point of view; for instance, an malicious application could be installed
> in your user home dir, prepend the path to this to your local user $PATH
> and whenever you do "su" (without -) you could invoke this app with
> superuser privileges...
> So to summarize: The link above (debian.org) explains it quite well and
> yes, I would say it's a bad habit to omit -. :-)

7 years ago a veteran Linux user taught me to always use su - for the
very reason you stated.