-   -   Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo. (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/333257-manual-pages-man-pages-have-esc-all-through-them-when-having-used-sudo.html)

ubiquitous1980 02-28-2010 02:57 AM

Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.

If I have logged in through sudo such as $ sudo su, when I then use man
pages, they are covered in "ESC". This does not occur when using normal
user accounts or the root account through su. Wondering what is going
on. Thanks.

Nikos Chantziaras 02-28-2010 03:49 AM

Manual pages (man pages) have ESC all through them when having used sudo.

If I have logged in through sudo such as $ sudo su, when I then use man
pages, they are covered in "ESC". This does not occur when using normal
user accounts or the root account through su. Wondering what is going
on. Thanks.

Some ENV variables are unset by sudo.

But anyway, "sudo su" makes zero sense :P

ubiquitous1980 02-28-2010 04:02 AM

Dan Cowsill wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM, ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If I have logged in through sudo such as $ sudo su, when I then use man
>> pages, they are covered in "ESC". This does not occur when using normal
>> user accounts or the root account through su. Wondering what is going
>> on. Thanks.
>>

> Kind of curious about this myself. It has just been a minor annoyance
> to me for the last couple of years, but it seems to show up only when
> logged onto root.

Wondering if it is a bug??? Perhaps a USE flag...who knows as yet...