Old 02-28-2010, 02:39 AM
Harry Putnam

Default aclocal failing on all emerges

I've run into something here on an OS that was installed from scratch
only a week or so ago.

emerge -vuDNp world shows only 8 pkgs (on a todays sync).

But none of them will install even with --skipfirst and --keep-going

All fail when aclocal is trotted out. I don't see recent threads here
about it... googling turns up a herd of bugs involving aclocal but
then newest is 2008.

The newest threads here that even mention aclocal date around Jan 20.

I didn't change the compiler (gcc-4.3.4) since the first sync and
update world.

gcc-4.4.3 is also installed but I'm using 4.3.4

Today I ran:

emerge -v sys-devel/automake-wrapper (the package that has aclocal in
it)

Ran:
lafilefixer --justfixit

Reinstalled libtool

But still everything fails when aclocal gets called.

I tried switching to the newer compiler gcc-4.3.4... then tried to
repeat the steps above... but can't seem to get past aclocal.

I tried backup up to the next lower available version of
automake-wrapper:
automake-wrapper-3-r1

But of course aclocal fails.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Alex Schuster

Harry Putnam writes:

> All fail when aclocal is trotted out. I don't see recent threads here
> about it... googling turns up a herd of bugs involving aclocal but
> then newest is 2008.
>
> The newest threads here that even mention aclocal date around Jan 20.
>
> I didn't change the compiler (gcc-4.3.4) since the first sync and
> update world.
>
> gcc-4.4.3 is also installed but I'm using 4.3.4
>
> Today I ran:
>
> emerge -v sys-devel/automake-wrapper (the package that has aclocal in
> it)

I'd try to emerge the other autotools stuff, too:

emerge -a $( qlist -CeLS sys-devel/autoconf sys-devel/automake )

Just an idea, as no better ones came up. Looks like you have a very nasty
problem there.

Wonko