Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   power management cannot change LCD brightness (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/333250-power-management-cannot-change-lcd-brightness.html)

Xi Shen 02-28-2010 01:39 AM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
hi,

my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. my laptop is thinkpad t61. after
some configure in the kernel, and reboot with the new kernel, i can
use the Fn+Home, and Fn+End to change the brightness of my lcd. but
when i tried to change the lcd brightness by dragging the handle on
the 'power management' tool, nothing happens. what else should i
configure?


--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Frank Steinmetzger 02-28-2010 12:15 PM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
Am Sonntag 28 Februar 2010 schrieb Xi Shen:
> hi,
>
> my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. my laptop is thinkpad t61. after
> some configure in the kernel, and reboot with the new kernel, i can
> use the Fn+Home, and Fn+End to change the brightness of my lcd. but
> when i tried to change the lcd brightness by dragging the handle on
> the 'power management' tool, nothing happens. what else should i
> configure?

It has never worked here, though I’m satisfied that I can use Fn+Crsr up/down,
which works on the HW level (even at boot).
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'

Never argue with an idiot.
He brings you down to his level, then beats you with experience.

02-28-2010 12:32 PM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

>> Am Sonntag 28 Februar 2010 schrieb Xi Shen:
>> > hi,
>> >
>> > my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. my laptop is thinkpad t61. after
>> > some configure in the kernel, and reboot with the new kernel, i can
>> > use the Fn+Home, and Fn+End to change the brightness of my lcd. but
>> > when i tried to change the lcd brightness by dragging the handle on
>> > the 'power management' tool, nothing happens. what else should i
>> > configure?
>>
>> It has never worked here, though I???m satisfied that I can use Fn+Crsr up/down,
>> which works on the HW level (even at boot).
>> --
>> Gru?? | Greetings | Qapla'
>>
>> Never argue with an idiot.
>> He brings you down to his level, then beats you with experience.

Hi,
fisrt see if proc and your kernel has it right, do:
cat /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02/brightness

should give something like

levels: 13 25 38 50 63 75 88 100
current: 13

if that works, check permissions on the file and try to echo a level
number to it..

echo 13 > /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02/brightness

it it changes then its down to the app, check the use flags of the app,
and see whats missing.

good luck


--
Regards,
Roundyz

Xi Shen 03-02-2010 08:58 AM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM, <roundyz@hotmail.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
> fisrt see if proc and your kernel has it right, do:
> *cat */proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02/brightness

i found a similar file at /proc/acpi/video/VID1/LCD0/brightness. i
think they are the same :)

>
> should give something like
>
> levels: *13 25 38 50 63 75 88 100
> current: 13
>
> if that works, check permissions on the file and try to echo a level
> number to it..
>
> echo 13 > /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02/brightness
>
> it it changes then its down to the app, check the use flags of the app,
> and see whats missing.
>

what use flag should i check? i have acpi already, and just have apm,
pmu, nvidia, lm_sensors added. i guess this should be everything.

> good luck
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Roundyz
>
>



--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Xi Shen 03-04-2010 02:02 PM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM, *<roundyz@hotmail.ru> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> fisrt see if proc and your kernel has it right, do:
>> *cat */proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02/brightness
>
echo "20"> /proc/acpi/video/VID1/LCD0/brightness can change the
brightness of my lcd. but dragging the power management tool still
cannot work.


--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

03-05-2010 07:33 AM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
Xi Shen wrote:

>>
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:32 PM, ??<roundyz@hotmail.ru> wrote:
>> >> Hi,
>> >> fisrt see if proc and your kernel has it right, do:
>> >> ??cat ??/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02/brightness
>> >
>> echo "20"> /proc/acpi/video/VID1/LCD0/brightness can change the
>> brightness of my lcd. but dragging the power management tool still
>> cannot work.
>>

Hi,

Whats the name of the tool and what use flags are set?
It's most likely that you are going to need to re-emerge it, or some
component that it depends upon if it is part of gnome or kde, etc.

I use a little script with wmbutton along with some menu entries on
blackboxwm. Works nice.

--
Regards,
Roundyz

Xi Shen 03-10-2010 12:36 AM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM, <roundyz@hotmail.ru> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Whats the name of the tool and what use flags are set?
> It's most likely that you are going to need to re-emerge it, or some
> component that it depends upon if it is part of gnome or kde, etc.
>

i have acpi, hal, apm, pmu, nvidia, lm_sensors, etc. putted in the
make.conf. i think those use flags will apply to all apps. but i
really do not know which one to re-emerge.

> I use a little script with wmbutton along with some menu entries on
> blackboxwm. *Works nice.
>

i am using kde, BTW


--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Damian 03-10-2010 07:32 AM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag 28 Februar 2010 schrieb Xi Shen:
>> hi,
>>
>> my system is gentoo amd64, kde 4.3. my laptop is thinkpad t61. after
>> some configure in the kernel, and reboot with the new kernel, i can
>> use the Fn+Home, and Fn+End to change the brightness of my lcd. but
>> when i tried to change the lcd brightness by dragging the handle on
>> the 'power management' tool, nothing happens. what else should i
>> configure?
>
> It has never worked here, though I’m satisfied that I can use Fn+Crsr up/down,
> which works on the HW level (even at boot).
I don't know if you have an nvidia card. I had the same problem: I was
only able to change the brightness from a text console. I solved the
problem by installing nvclock (now I no longer need sunglases).

I hope that helps.

Xi Shen 03-10-2010 11:10 AM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Damian <damian.only@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if you have an nvidia card. I had the same problem: I was
> only able to change the brightness from a text console. I solved the
> problem by installing nvclock (now I no longer need sunglases).
>
> I hope that helps.
>
>

thanks, i solved this problem without emerging the nvclock package. i
guess it is a group and permission issue. i have my accounts joined
these groups: disk wheel audio cdrom video usb users plugdev, and i
can change the lcd brightness with the kde widget.


--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Xi Shen 03-11-2010 06:02 AM

power management cannot change LCD brightness
 
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> thanks, i solved this problem without emerging the nvclock package. i
> guess it is a group and permission issue. i have my accounts joined
> these groups: disk wheel audio cdrom video usb users plugdev, and i
> can change the lcd brightness with the kde widget.
>
>

i further identified the cause, and it is the 'plugdev' group. if the
user (include root) is not a member of this group, you will not be
able to use the kde widget to change the brightness of the lcd. an
even wired issue i found is that, after you joined in the group, you
will have to restart the system. log off and log on takes no effect.


--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.