Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Kernel 2.6.33 and Nouveau (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/333064-kernel-2-6-33-nouveau.html)

Zeerak Mustafa Waseem 02-27-2010 04:22 PM

Kernel 2.6.33 and Nouveau
 
Hey guys

Got then latest gentoo-sources last night, and thought I'd try with the nouveau drivers. And it went pretty well (until) I had to start X.

I've attatched my xorg log. I have next to no idea what to do with the error.

Thanks in advance :-)
--
Zeerak Waseem

X.Org X Server 1.7.5
Release Date: 2010-02-16
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.31-gentoo-r6 x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux Zeerak 2.6.33-gentoo #4 SMP Sat Feb 27 17:38:41 CET 2010 x86_64
Kernel command line: root=/dev/sda3 nomodeset
Build Date: 26 February 2010 01:30:07AM

Current version of pixman: 0.17.2
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Feb 27 17:53:49 2010
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) ServerLayout "Layout0"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) | |-->Device "Device0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) |-->Input Device "TouchPad"
(**) Option "DontZap" "False"
(**) Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
(==) Not automatically adding devices
(==) Not automatically enabling devices
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/OTF" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/" does not exist.
Entry deleted from font path.
(**) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/corefonts/,
/usr/share/fonts/freefonts/,
/usr/share/fonts/util/,
/usr/share/fonts/misc/,
/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
(II) Loader magic: 0x7be100
(II) Module ABI versions:
X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
X.Org XInput driver : 7.0
X.Org Server Extension : 2.0
(++) using VT number 7

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:01d7:17aa:3839 nVidia Corporation G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] rev 161, Mem @ 0xc9000000/16777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xca000000/16777216
(II) Open ACPI successful (/var/run/acpid.socket)
(II) "extmod" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dbe" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also specified in the config file.
(II) "glx" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also specified in the config file.
(II) "record" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dri" will be loaded by default.
(II) "dri2" will be loaded by default.
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(==) AIGLX enabled
(II) Loading extension GLX
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
(II) Loading extension DPMS
(II) Loading extension XVideo
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
(II) Loading extension X-Resource
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 1.13.0
Module class: X.Org Server Extension
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension RECORD
(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 1.1.0
ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0
(II) Loading extension DRI2
(II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
(II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.5, module version = 0.0.15
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) LoadModule: "kbd"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/kbd_drv.so
(II) Module kbd: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.3.901, module version = 1.4.0
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/synaptics_drv.so
(II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.7.4.901, module version = 1.2.1
Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0
(II) NOUVEAU driver
(II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
RIVA TNT (NV04)
RIVA TNT2 (NV05)
GeForce 256 (NV10)
GeForce 2 (NV11, NV15)
GeForce 4MX (NV17, NV18)
GeForce 3 (NV20)
GeForce 4Ti (NV25, NV28)
GeForce FX (NV3x)
GeForce 6 (NV4x)
GeForce 7 (G7x)
GeForce 8 (G8x)
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 8, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 8
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
(EE) [drm] failed to open device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

walt 02-27-2010 05:39 PM

Kernel 2.6.33 and Nouveau
 
On 02/27/2010 09:22 AM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:

Hey guys

Got then latest gentoo-sources last night, and thought I'd try with the nouveau

> drivers. And it went pretty well (until) I had to start X.


I've attatched my xorg log. I have next to no idea what to do with the error.


Cool. I didn't know about nouveau.

Seems to be DRM that's lacking:
(EE) [drm] failed to open device
(EE) No devices detected.

I'm wondering if you built the kernel modules listed here:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallDRM

Zeerak Mustafa Waseem 02-27-2010 08:29 PM

Kernel 2.6.33 and Nouveau
 
On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:39:19AM -0800, walt wrote:
> On 02/27/2010 09:22 AM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> > Hey guys
> >
> > Got then latest gentoo-sources last night, and thought I'd try with the nouveau
> > drivers. And it went pretty well (until) I had to start X.
> >
> > I've attatched my xorg log. I have next to no idea what to do with the error.
>
> Cool. I didn't know about nouveau.
>
> Seems to be DRM that's lacking:
> (EE) [drm] failed to open device
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> I'm wondering if you built the kernel modules listed here:
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallDRM
>
>

Yeah I have all the kernel modules. The only thing I'm unsure about is, that it refers some firmware that needs to be downloaded. This can be downloaded from fedora, or (I think) from portage. If the firmware from portage is the same as from the fedora site. Then I should have all necessary bits. But I'll try building it as a module, and follow the directions about that. (I'm just glad that the only gui applications I use are pdf-readers and in browsing :-))

--
Zeerak Waseem

Nikos Chantziaras 02-27-2010 10:35 PM

Kernel 2.6.33 and Nouveau
 
On 02/27/2010 11:29 PM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:


On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:39:19AM -0800, walt wrote:

On 02/27/2010 09:22 AM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:

Hey guys

Got then latest gentoo-sources last night, and thought I'd try with the nouveau

> drivers. And it went pretty well (until) I had to start X.


I've attatched my xorg log. I have next to no idea what to do with the error.


Cool. I didn't know about nouveau.

Seems to be DRM that's lacking:
(EE) [drm] failed to open device
(EE) No devices detected.

I'm wondering if you built the kernel modules listed here:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallDRM




Yeah I have all the kernel modules. The only thing I'm unsure about is, that it refers some firmware that needs to be downloaded. This can be downloaded from fedora, or (I think) from portage. If the firmware from portage is the same as from the fedora site. Then I should have all necessary bits. But I'll try building it as a module, and follow the directions about that. (I'm just glad that the only gui applications I use are pdf-readers and in browsing :-))


You don't need to build it as a module. Simply download the firmware,
put it in /lib/firmware/nvidia/, and then configure the kernel like this:


In "Device Drivers->Generic Driver Options", in "Firmware blobs root
directory" enter:


/lib/firmware

In "External firmware blobs to build into the kernel binary", enter:

nvidia/NAME_OF_FIRMWARE_FILE

Rebuild and install the kernel. That should do it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.