Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM
William Kenworthy

Default What is the proper fstab line for shm memory (tmpfs)

I have a number of systems with different shm lines in fstab - but which
is correct? - I think they all work, but which is best (and why)? The
main use I am concerned about is a PXE system with root over nfs where I
am putting the portage tmp and some other stuff in tmpfs for speed.

tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

I suspect the middle line is correct.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 26 Februar 2010, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I have a number of systems with different shm lines in fstab - but which
> is correct? - I think they all work, but which is best (and why)? The
> main use I am concerned about is a PXE system with root over nfs where I
> am putting the portage tmp and some other stuff in tmpfs for speed.
>
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
>
> I suspect the middle line is correct.
>
> BillK

I have

shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec
0 0

for ages in fstab. If it is wrong, I am living a lie for years now.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 AM
William Kenworthy

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 13:28 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Freitag 26 Februar 2010, William Kenworthy wrote:
> > I have a number of systems with different shm lines in fstab - but which
> > is correct? - I think they all work, but which is best (and why)? The
> > main use I am concerned about is a PXE system with root over nfs where I
> > am putting the portage tmp and some other stuff in tmpfs for speed.
> >
> > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> > shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
> > none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> >
> > I suspect the middle line is correct.
> >
> > BillK
>
> I have
>
> shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec
> 0 0
>
> for ages in fstab. If it is wrong, I am living a lie for years now.

Thanks, the reason I am not sure is I often copy fstab between machines
to speed up configuration, and I suspect the lines with "defaults" trace
back to circa 1989 (my first gentoo - over dialup modem with 7 days of
downloading/compiling on a 200Mhz K6 or whenever tmpfs appeared in
the kernel.

BillK