Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
bn

Default libtool 2.x upgrade

Nikos Chantziaras ha scritto:
> On 02/26/2010 03:15 AM, bn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a stable x86 system that requires still a bit of updating, among
>> those libtool and gcc. Since I need the system to be usable *now* for
>> work reasons, I don't feel like updating gcc and rebuilding it all with
>> an emerge -e system / emerge -e world, but more and more packages want
>> to upgrade to libtool 2.x
>>
>> Is it safe to upgrade libtool without (1)rebuilding gcc too and
>> (2)rebuilding system/world?
>
> I don't know, but for this type of scenario you are better off building
> binary packages of everything that need to be updated without actually
> installing any of it on the machine. At the end, when all binaries have
> been created by portage, you can install them in one go at a convenient
> point.
>
> Look up the "--buildpkgonly" option of emerge for this.

Looks like an excellent suggestion, I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Anyway, if someone else knows the answer to the libtool question, I'd be
happy, if only for learning purposes

m.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
bn

Neil Bothwick ha scritto:
> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:15:09 +0100, bn wrote:
>
>> I have a stable x86 system that requires still a bit of updating, among
>> those libtool and gcc. Since I need the system to be usable *now* for
>> work reasons, I don't feel like updating gcc and rebuilding it all with
>> an emerge -e system / emerge -e world, but more and more packages want
>> to upgrade to libtool 2.x
>
> GCC is slotted, so you can install the latest version but switch back to
> the old version instantly if it gives you problems. Unless the is an ABI
> change, which hasn't happened for a while, it is not necessary to rebuild
> everything.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. But it strikes me that from
libtool 1.x to 2.x there's no ABI change. Is this correct?

I don't know exactly what libtool does (I'm not a C programmer -well,
apart from very basic stuff), but in general major version updates break
compatibility, therefore my concern.

m.