Old 02-26-2010, 03:17 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?

On 02/26/2010 06:06 AM, BRM wrote:

I am quite happy with KDE4 - presently using KDE 4.3.5. I still have KDE 3.5.10 installed, and am wondering how much longer I need to keep it around...I probably use all KDE4 apps, though there might be a few here or there that I use on a rare occasion that are still KDE3 based...may be...and no, I don't plan on using KDE Sunset Overlay[1]

Any how...I'm wondering what the best method to remove KDE3.5 safely is:

1) Just leave it and may be it'll just get removed?

2) Found this entry on removing it
http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-unmerge-kde-3-packages-if-their.html

But nothing registers as a 'dup' even though qlist does show a lot of KDE 3.5.10 packages installed. (Yeah, I'd need to modify the line to ensure it doesn't remove KDE 4.3.5).

3) Gentoo KDE4 guide suggests a method, but it seems to be more related to removing KDE entirely...
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml

If you keep your world file (/var/lib/portage/world) tidy, simply
deleting all lines with KDE3 packages and running emerge -a --depclean
will take care of it.

You *do* keep your world file tidy, don't you? :P

Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Dale

[...]

That would be the easiest method. If you use the kde-meta package like
I do, just remove the one for KDE 3 and let --depclean do its thing. It
should get all of it.

If you want to keep something tho, you need to add it to the world file
first and then run --depclean. That way it will keep the program(s) you
want and the things they depend on but remove everything else. This
will save you from having to reinstall those packages. You may even
have to get them from the overlay at that point. So don't uninstall
something you want to keep.

If you have the drive space, you can leave it there for a while longer
tho. Just keep in mind that there are no security updates or anything
like that. If you add the overlay, you will get a few updates at least.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
BRM

> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
> > On 02/26/2010 06:06 AM, BRM wrote:
> >> I am quite happy with KDE4 - presently using KDE 4.3.5. I still have KDE
> 3.5.10 installed, and am wondering how much longer I need to keep it around...I
> probably use all KDE4 apps, though there might be a few here or there that I use
> on a rare occasion that are still KDE3 based...may be...and no, I don't plan on
> using KDE Sunset Overlay[1]
> >> Any how...I'm wondering what the best method to remove KDE3.5 safely is:
> >> 1) Just leave it and may be it'll just get removed?
> >> 2) Found this entry on removing it
> http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-unmerge-kde-3-packages-if-their.html
> >> But nothing registers as a 'dup' even though qlist does show a lot of KDE
> 3.5.10 packages installed. (Yeah, I'd need to modify the line to ensure it
> doesn't remove KDE 4.3.5).
> >> 3) Gentoo KDE4 guide suggests a method, but it seems to be more related to
> removing KDE entirely...
> >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml
> > If you keep your world file (/var/lib/portage/world) tidy, simply deleting all
> lines with KDE3 packages and running emerge -a --depclean will take care of it.
> > You *do* keep your world file tidy, don't you? :P
> That would be the easiest method. If you use the kde-meta package like I do,
> just remove the one for KDE 3 and let --depclean do its thing. It should get
> all of it.

I actually don't touch the world file, and just do the 'emerge world -vuDNa' for updates.
From my POV, that is emerge/Portage's job - not mine.

Aside from that, I'm not sure I have ever really run "emerge --depclean", but I also
rarely uninstall anything, but don't install things left or right to try out either, so
typically upgrades are all I need to do.

Having just done a compiler upgrade, I can say that there are roughly 1100 packages (emerge -eav) in world that were recompiled.

I was just contemplating - KDE4 is stable, and I don't see myself running KDE3 again; so why keep it around.
If 'emerge world -vuDNa' will remove it when it gets pushed off the main trunk, then that's probably fine with me - since that seems to not be very far out now.
If not, then I definitely want to remove it now as there is no other reason for keeping it around.

> If you want to keep something tho, you need to add it to the world file first
> and then run --depclean. That way it will keep the program(s) you want and the
> things they depend on but remove everything else. This will save you from
> having to reinstall those packages. You may even have to get them from the
> overlay at that point. So don't uninstall something you want to keep.

That's the only issue. My only concern is software (e.g. KDevelop) that may not have been updated to KDE4 yet. (Not a fan of KDevelop3; waiting to see how KDevelop4 is going to shape up.)

> If you have the drive space, you can leave it there for a while longer tho.
> Just keep in mind that there are no security updates or anything like that. If
> you add the overlay, you will get a few updates at least.

I do have the disk space on the systems I have KDE3 and KDE4 on; so that's not a concern.

Ben

Old 02-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Alex Schuster

BRM writes:

> > > If you keep your world file (/var/lib/portage/world) tidy, simply
> > > deleting all lines with KDE3 packages and running emerge -a --
> > > depclean will take care of it.
> >
> > > You *do* keep your world file tidy, don't you? :P
> >
> > That would be the easiest method. If you use the kde-meta package
> > like I do, just remove the one for KDE 3 and let --depclean do its
> > thing. It should get all of it.
>
> I actually don't touch the world file, and just do the 'emerge world
> -vuDNa' for updates. From my POV, that is emerge/Portage's job - not
> mine.

I'd also leave the world file alone, and emerge -C the packages I want
removed.

> Aside from that, I'm not sure I have ever really run "emerge
> --depclean", but I also rarely uninstall anything, but don't install
> things left or right to try out either, so typically upgrades are all
> I need to do.
>
> Having just done a compiler upgrade, I can say that there are roughly
> 1100 packages (emerge -eav) in world that were recompiled.
>
> I was just contemplating - KDE4 is stable, and I don't see myself
> running KDE3 again; so why keep it around. If 'emerge world -vuDNa'
> will remove it when it gets pushed off the main trunk, then that's
> probably fine with me - since that seems to not be very far out now.
> If not, then I definitely want to remove it now as there is no other
> reason for keeping it around.

KDE3 is no longer in the portage tree, it's in the kde-sunset overlay.

World updates do not remove things, you need to use emerge --depclean for
this. It will probably want to remove a lot when you never depcleaned
before, so be sure to check. Put the stuff you want to keep in your world
file with emerge -n, then depclean the rest. I guess it will remove your
whole KDE3 that is no longer in portage. If you like to keep it, add the
kde-sunset overlay with laymanl, and maybe emerge kde-base/kde-meta:3.5.

> That's the only issue. My only concern is software (e.g. KDevelop) that
> may not have been updated to KDE4 yet. (Not a fan of KDevelop3;
> waiting to see how KDevelop4 is going to shape up.)

The KDE4 version is in the kde overlay, but I do not know if it is usable
already.

Wonko

Old 02-26-2010, 03:10 PM
BRM

> > > That would be the easiest method. If you use the kde-meta package
> > > like I do, just remove the one for KDE 3 and let --depclean do its
> > > thing. It should get all of it.
> > I actually don't touch the world file, and just do the 'emerge world
> > -vuDNa' for updates. From my POV, that is emerge/Portage's job - not
> > mine.
> I'd also leave the world file alone, and emerge -C the packages I want
> removed.

Yep, that's what I do.

> > Aside from that, I'm not sure I have ever really run "emerge
> > --depclean", but I also rarely uninstall anything, but don't install
> > things left or right to try out either, so typically upgrades are all
> > I need to do.
> > Having just done a compiler upgrade, I can say that there are roughly
> > 1100 packages (emerge -eav) in world that were recompiled.
> > I was just contemplating - KDE4 is stable, and I don't see myself
> > running KDE3 again; so why keep it around. If 'emerge world -vuDNa'
> > will remove it when it gets pushed off the main trunk, then that's
> > probably fine with me - since that seems to not be very far out now.
> > If not, then I definitely want to remove it now as there is no other
> > reason for keeping it around.
> KDE3 is no longer in the portage tree, it's in the kde-sunset overlay.
>
> World updates do not remove things, you need to use emerge --depclean for
> this. It will probably want to remove a lot when you never depcleaned
> before, so be sure to check. Put the stuff you want to keep in your world
> file with emerge -n, then depclean the rest. I guess it will remove your
> whole KDE3 that is no longer in portage. If you like to keep it, add the
> kde-sunset overlay with laymanl, and maybe emerge kde-base/kde-meta:3.5.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

> > That's the only issue. My only concern is software (e.g. KDevelop) that
> > may not have been updated to KDE4 yet. (Not a fan of KDevelop3;
> > waiting to see how KDevelop4 is going to shape up.)
> The KDE4 version is in the kde overlay, but I do not know if it is usable
> already.

For now, I'll wait. I mostly use vim; and having done a lot of Windows stuff for work I am familiar with VS.
While there are a lot of things I don't like about VS, nothing else seems to quite compare.
KDevelop3 at least drove me nuts; and Eclipse just doesn't do well when you're not programming in Java - I have yet to get CDT to work, though I've mostly tried on Windows.
QtCreator seems to be on the right track, though it's still quite early.

I'm interested to see how KDevelop4 is going to turn out, but I'll certainly wait for it to reach the mainline tree.

Thanks for the info.

Ben

Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Dale

> [...]

If you want to keep something tho, you need to add it to the world file first
and then run --depclean. That way it will keep the program(s) you want and the
things they depend on but remove everything else. This will save you from
having to reinstall those packages. You may even have to get them from the
overlay at that point. So don't uninstall something you want to keep.

That's the only issue. My only concern is software (e.g. KDevelop) that may not have been updated to KDE4 yet. (Not a fan of KDevelop3; waiting to see how KDevelop4 is going to shape up.)

If you have the drive space, you can leave it there for a while longer tho.
Just keep in mind that there are no security updates or anything like that. If
you add the overlay, you will get a few updates at least.

I do have the disk space on the systems I have KDE3 and KDE4 on; so that's not a concern.

Another reason the question of keeping your world file clean could come
up, do you use the --oneshot option when needed? This can really junk
up a world file. Let's say kde-meta pulls in konqueror. For some
reason, you need to re-emerge konqueror and do so without the --oneshot
option. Now, konqueror is listed in the world file when it really
shouldn't be there. This can happen with hundreds of other packages as
well. I fell for this ages ago myself because I didn't know about
this. So, even tho you may not touch the world file, it could still
have packages listed in there that are not needed. It sort of creeps up
on you if you are not careful. The biggest thing portage does with
world is add stuff and keep it in alphabetical order.

There are some things that should be done to keep a sane system in my
opinion. --depclean is one of them. Running revdep-rebuild is
another. I even go look at my world file from time to time to see if I
forgot to use the --oneshot option myself. Gentoo is like anything
else, it has to be maintained. The better maintenance you do the better
things will be. After all, there will be problems no matter what you
do but keeping it sane helps. Your mileage may vary tho.

If you want to keep the Kdevelop 3 around, just add it to world.
Portage will do this with the -n option if you would rather portage did
it. Then you can unmerge kde-meta or whatever you use to install KDE 3
and run --depclean -p. I would run with the -p option first since you
may see something else you want to keep or some other package that you
need to check on before removing. The -a option works to. You can say
no if it is not what you want just yet.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

That's the only issue. My only concern is software (e.g. KDevelop) that
may not have been updated to KDE4 yet. (Not a fan of KDevelop3;
waiting to see how KDevelop4 is going to shape up.)

The KDE4 version is in the kde overlay, but I do not know if it is usable
already.

For now, I'll wait. I mostly use vim; and having done a lot of Windows stuff for work I am familiar with VS.
While there are a lot of things I don't like about VS, nothing else seems to quite compare.
KDevelop3 at least drove me nuts; and Eclipse just doesn't do well when you're not programming in Java - I have yet to get CDT to work, though I've mostly tried on Windows.
QtCreator seems to be on the right track, though it's still quite early.

I'm interested to see how KDevelop4 is going to turn out, but I'll certainly wait for it to reach the mainline tree.

The KDevelop 4 is actually in Portage (dev-util/kdevelop:4), not only in
the kde overlay.

I have both Kdev4 and Qt Creator installed. I ended up going with
Creator, but I'm still keeping an eye on Kdev4.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 06:34:18 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:

> Aside from that, I'm not sure I have ever really run "emerge
> --depclean", but I also rarely uninstall anything, but don't install
> things left or right to try out either, so typically upgrades are all I
> need to do.

You should still run --depclean as dependencies change and you could still
have plenty of no longer needed ones installed.

--
Neil Bothwick

A seminar on time travel will be held 2 weeks ago.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Dale