Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:21:00 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:

> From what I've read in the past, modifying 'world' would be a big
> no-no, and very risky - so I never touched it - also why I never really
> ran 'emerge --depclean', which is reporting some 400 packages to remove
> now that I've got that cleaned up.

It's a list of packages you want installed on the system. Editing it
doesn't even remove anything, and if --depclean subsequently does, it's
hardly risky, since these are only user packages. You can break a system
by editing world because the critical packages aren't in there.

--
Neil Bothwick

Interchangeable parts aren't.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:45:03 -0600, Dale wrote:

> If it starts to
> remove something that you know you want to keep, then you need to
> figure out why that entry was there and what can be put in the world
> file to keep the things you do want.

And while you can edit world by hand to remove stuff, it is safer to let
portage add things back. If depclean wants to remove a package, you can
replace it in world with

emerge -n package.

--
Neil Bothwick

Unix is user-friendly. It's just very selective with who it's friends are.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Dale

no-no, and very risky - so I never touched it - also why I never really
ran 'emerge --depclean', which is reporting some 400 packages to remove
now that I've got that cleaned up.

It's a list of packages you want installed on the system. Editing it
doesn't even remove anything, and if --depclean subsequently does, it's
hardly risky, since these are only user packages. You can break a system
by editing world because the critical packages aren't in there.

Did you mean to say that you CAN'T break a system be editing world
because the critical packages aren't in there?

At least I am not the only one that leaves out the NOT sometimes.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:12:18 -0600, Dale wrote:

> Did you mean to say that you CAN'T break a system be editing world
> because the critical packages aren't in there?

indeed I did.

> At least I am not the only one that leaves out the NOT sometimes.

The difference is, I don't blame it on hal :P

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 25: New York culture

Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Dale

Did you mean to say that you CAN'T break a system be editing world
because the critical packages aren't in there?

indeed I did.

At least I am not the only one that leaves out the NOT sometimes.

The difference is, I don't blame it on hal :P

But hal doesn't do the typing, we do. Poor old hal broke my rig and it
just doesn't work so, I broke it. I guess removing it could be called
breaking it. ;-)

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM
BRM

> > On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:12:18 -0600, Dale wrote:
> >> Did you mean to say that you CAN'T break a system be editing world
> >> because the critical packages aren't in there?
> > indeed I did.
> >> At least I am not the only one that leaves out the NOT sometimes.
> > The difference is, I don't blame it on hal :P
> But hal doesn't do the typing, we do. Poor old hal broke my rig and it
> just doesn't work so, I broke it. I guess removing it could be called
> breaking it. ;-)

Wouldn't that be a break-up?
;-)

Ben

P.S. Thanks all for the help on this one. Got everything straightened out, and KDE3.5 has been removed.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Dale

Did you mean to say that you CAN'T break a system be editing world
because the critical packages aren't in there?

indeed I did.

At least I am not the only one that leaves out the NOT sometimes.

The difference is, I don't blame it on hal :P

But hal doesn't do the typing, we do. Poor old hal broke my rig and it
just doesn't work so, I broke it. I guess removing it could be called
breaking it. ;-)

Wouldn't that be a break-up?
;-)

Ben

P.S. Thanks all for the help on this one. Got everything straightened out, and KDE3.5 has been removed.

You're welcome. We all learn something as we reply back and forth.
Nothing wrong with learning new things.

Dale

:-) :-)