Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 AM
BRM

Default Removing KDE 3.5? Or reason to keep it around?

I am quite happy with KDE4 - presently using KDE 4.3.5. I still have KDE 3.5.10 installed, and am wondering how much longer I need to keep it around...I probably use all KDE4 apps, though there might be a few here or there that I use on a rare occasion that are still KDE3 based...may be...and no, I don't plan on using KDE Sunset Overlay[1]

Any how...I'm wondering what the best method to remove KDE3.5 safely is:

1) Just leave it and may be it'll just get removed?

2) Found this entry on removing it
http://linuxized.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-unmerge-kde-3-packages-if-their.html

But nothing registers as a 'dup' even though qlist does show a lot of KDE 3.5.10 packages installed. (Yeah, I'd need to modify the line to ensure it doesn't remove KDE 4.3.5).

3) Gentoo KDE4 guide suggests a method, but it seems to be more related to removing KDE entirely...
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4-guide.xml

TIA,

Ben

[1] Though I do agree it should be kept around.