-   -   libtool 2.x upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/332210-libtool-2-x-upgrade.html)

Nikos Chantziaras 02-26-2010 01:41 AM

libtool 2.x upgrade

On 02/26/2010 03:15 AM, bn wrote:

Hi,

I have a stable x86 system that requires still a bit of updating, among
those libtool and gcc. Since I need the system to be usable *now* for
work reasons, I don't feel like updating gcc and rebuilding it all with
an emerge -e system / emerge -e world, but more and more packages want
to upgrade to libtool 2.x

Is it safe to upgrade libtool without (1)rebuilding gcc too and
(2)rebuilding system/world?

I don't know, but for this type of scenario you are better off building
binary packages of everything that need to be updated without actually
installing any of it on the machine. At the end, when all binaries have
been created by portage, you can install them in one go at a convenient
point.

Look up the "--buildpkgonly" option of emerge for this.

Philip Webb 02-26-2010 02:25 AM

libtool 2.x upgrade

100226 bn wrote:
> I have a stable x86 system that requires still a bit of updating,
> among those libtool and gcc. Since I need the system to be usable *now*
> for work reasons, I don't feel like updating gcc and rebuilding it all
> with an emerge -e system / emerge -e world,
> but more and more packages want to upgrade to libtool 2.x
> Is it safe to upgrade libtool without (1)rebuilding gcc too
> and (2)rebuilding system/world?

FWIW I've been using Libtool 2.2.6b since 091212
& GCC 4.3.4 since 091018 without any problems I can remember;
I kept GCC 4.1.2 installed as well & use 'quickpkg' to make back-ups.
You shouldn't need to rebuild anything else till it comes up naturally.
I never do 'emerge world' without '-Dup', but emerge pkgs individually.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Neil Bothwick 02-26-2010 08:07 AM

libtool 2.x upgrade

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 02:15:09 +0100, bn wrote:

> I have a stable x86 system that requires still a bit of updating, among
> those libtool and gcc. Since I need the system to be usable *now* for
> work reasons, I don't feel like updating gcc and rebuilding it all with
> an emerge -e system / emerge -e world, but more and more packages want
> to upgrade to libtool 2.x

GCC is slotted, so you can install the latest version but switch back to
the old version instantly if it gives you problems. Unless the is an ABI
change, which hasn't happened for a while, it is not necessary to rebuild
everything.

--
Neil Bothwick

There's no place like ~