-   -   Is there a "lock daemon" for managing file locking on an NFS server? (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/331817-there-lock-daemon-managing-file-locking-nfs-server.html)

Amit Dor-Shifer 02-25-2010 12:56 PM

Is there a "lock daemon" for managing file locking on an NFS server?

e.g. 'lockd'?
If so, which ebuild installs it?
10x,

Amit

Xavier Parizet 02-25-2010 01:05 PM

On 02/25/2010 02:56 PM, Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> e.g. 'lockd'?
> If so, which ebuild installs it?

Well i'm using NFS for a while now, and i just checked: nothing like
this is running on my nfs server.

Do you have a "special" reason for asking ? (i mean a bug or weird
behaviour regarding nfs)

--
Xavier Parizet
YaGB : http://gentooist.com

Alan McKinnon 02-25-2010 01:27 PM

On Thursday 25 February 2010 15:56:28 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> e.g. 'lockd'?
> If so, which ebuild installs it?
> 10x,
>
> Amit

I went looking for rpc.lockd and couldn't find it either ;-(

I fully expected ti to be there so a lot of hunting in /etc/init.d ensued.
Then I remember something about lock.d with the transition to rpcbind from
portmap, but the details escape me now.

Anyone else remember?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Xavier Parizet 02-25-2010 01:37 PM

On 02/25/2010 03:27 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 25 February 2010 15:56:28 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
>> e.g. 'lockd'?
>> If so, which ebuild installs it?
>> 10x,
>>
>> Amit
>
> I went looking for rpc.lockd and couldn't find it either ;-(
>
> I fully expected ti to be there so a lot of hunting in /etc/init.d ensued.
> Then I remember something about lock.d with the transition to rpcbind from
> portmap, but the details escape me now.
>
> Anyone else remember?

Actually looking on the web, old (very old) kernels did not start
automatically nfs lockd in-kernel daemon. This behaviour was worked
around using so-called rpc.lockd or something to start tell the kernel
to start it.

With newer versions of the kernel, lockd is started automatically by the
kernel, leading rpc.lockd useless and being removed.

Please someone correct me if i understood badly what i found on the web.

Neil Walker 02-25-2010 02:05 PM

Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
> e.g. 'lockd'?
> If so, which ebuild installs it?

I abandoned nfs quite a while ago but, afaik, file locking is handled
internally by the kernel.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.neiljw.com

walt 02-25-2010 08:10 PM

Is there a "lock daemon" for managing file locking on an NFS server?

I abandoned nfs quite a while ago but...

Are you using something else instead now?

Neil Walker 02-25-2010 09:17 PM

walt wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 07:05 AM, Neil Walker wrote:
>> I abandoned nfs quite a while ago but...
>
> Are you using something else instead now?

I was using nfs for portage on my local network. I use http-proxy now.
For everything else, I use ssh.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.neiljw.com

Neil Walker 02-26-2010 07:28 AM

Neil Walker wrote:
> I use http-proxy now.

Sorry, that should be http-replicator.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.neiljw.com

Amit Dor-Shifer 02-28-2010 06:35 AM

Xavier Parizet wrote:

Well i'm using NFS for a while now, and i just checked: nothing like
this is running on my nfs server.

Do you have a "special" reason for asking ? (i mean a bug or weird
behaviour regarding nfs)

No "special" reason. I'm studying NFS.
10x,
Amit