Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Xavier Parizet

Default boot specific service in sequence

On 02/25/2010 01:11 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to start some specific services during boot up in a
> sequential order ?
> for example
>
> 1)tomcat
> 2)mysql
> 3)dns server
>
> Please suggest.

Yes using rc_need_* variable.

Example:
rc_mysql_need="tomcat"
rc_dns_need="mysql"

The syntax is: rc_need_[name of the service]="[list of space-separated
services you want [name of the service] to depend on]"

This is for baselayout-2 and openrc.
For baselayout-1, the syntax is quite similar.
Check man runscript.

--
Xavier Parizet
YaGB : http://gentooist.com

Old 02-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 25 February 2010 14:11:38 Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to start some specific services during boot up in a
> sequential order ?
> for example
>
> 1)tomcat
> 2)mysql
> 3)dns server

Yes, the init scripts support the notion of a service depending on another
service, and some things are "before" or "after" other things.

Check the man pages for baselayout and openrc. There are differences between
baselayout-1 and baselayout-2, but you don't say which you use.

There was a discussion here about this very thing in the last week. Check the
mail archives.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:15:57 +0100, Xavier Parizet wrote:

> The syntax is: rc_need_[name of the service]="[list of space-separated
> services you want [name of the service] to depend on]"

According to the man page, the syntax is

rc_SERVICENAME_need="list of services"

although I've never used this myself.

--
Neil Bothwick

Stop tagline theft! Copyright your tagline (c)

Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Xavier Parizet

On 02/25/2010 02:12 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:15:57 +0100, Xavier Parizet wrote:
>
>> The syntax is: rc_need_[name of the service]="[list of space-separated
>> services you want [name of the service] to depend on]"
>
> According to the man page, the syntax is
>
> rc_SERVICENAME_need="list of services"
>
> although I've never used this myself.

You're right, i write the mail then checked the man pages and corrected
only the first rc_ example but forgot about this one.

My apologizes.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:14 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Xavier Parizet <xav@gentooist.com> wrote:
> On 02/25/2010 02:12 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:15:57 +0100, Xavier Parizet wrote:
>>
>>> The syntax is: rc_need_[name of the service]="[list of space-separated
>>> services you want [name of the service] to depend on]"
>>
>> According to the man page, the syntax is
>>
>> rc_SERVICENAME_need="list of services"
>>
>> although I've never used this myself.
>
> You're right, i write the mail then checked the man pages and corrected
> only the first rc_ example but forgot about this one.
>
> My apologizes.
>
> --
> * * *Xavier Parizet
> YaGB : * http://gentooist.com
> GPG *: * *C7DC B10E FC21 63BE
> B453 D239 F6E6 DF65 1569 91BF

Hi,

I did ran the below command.

rc_scriptrunner_need="configserver"
rc_tomcat_need="scriptrunner"

is there a way to check and verify it ?

Thanks and Regards,

Kaushal

Old 02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Xavier Parizet

On 02/26/2010 06:14 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Xavier Parizet <xav@gentooist.com> wrote:

>>> According to the man page, the syntax is
>>>
>>> rc_SERVICENAME_need="list of services"
>>>
>>> although I've never used this myself.
>>
>> You're right, i write the mail then checked the man pages and corrected
>> only the first rc_ example but forgot about this one.
>>
>> My apologizes.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I did ran the below command.

Ran or written in /etc/rc.conf ?

> rc_scriptrunner_need="configserver"
> rc_tomcat_need="scriptrunner"
>
> is there a way to check and verify it ?

You can stop tomcat, scriptrunner and configserver services, then start
only tomcat and see if this start other two services. If it works, then
two other services should be started in the same time.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Xavier Parizet <xav@gentooist.com> wrote:
> On 02/26/2010 06:14 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

>>> You're right, i write the mail then checked the man pages and corrected
>>> only the first rc_ example but forgot about this one.
>>>
>>> My apologizes.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I did ran the below command.

Hi Xavier,

> Ran or written in /etc/rc.conf ?

Do i need to write the below line in /etc/rc.conf and any services
need to be restarted to take the changes into effect ?

rc_tomcat_need="configserver"

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Kaushal

Old 02-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Xavier Parizet

On 02/26/2010 09:19 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM, Xavier Parizet <xav@gentooist.com> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I did ran the below command.
>
> Hi Xavier,
>

>> Ran or written in /etc/rc.conf ?
>
> Do i need to write the below line in /etc/rc.conf and any services
> need to be restarted to take the changes into effect ?
>
> rc_tomcat_need="configserver"

Indeed you need to write the line above to /etc/rc.conf.
Of course, the concerned services need to be restarted to take changes
into effect.