Old 02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Stefano Crocco

Default Portage GUI interfaces...

On Thursday 25 February 2010, BRM wrote:
> |I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage,
> |preferably for KDE4. Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having
> |konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in
> |the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to
> |resolve.
> |
> |In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2
> |years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been
> |understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed
> |information on a Kuroo overlay.
> |
> |And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked
> |Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.
> |
> |Can anyone give some advice on these or others?
> |

> |Ben

You can try the plasma-emergelog plasmoid
(http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/plasma-emergelog?content=103928).
There are ebuilds for the 0.0.1, 0.02 and development version in the kde
overlay. This isn't a GUI interface for portage: it simply displays the last
entries of the emerge log file (it also works with paludis and pkgcore) and is
updated as the log file changes.

Stefano

Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas

No, it isn't, though it is very different now, these screenshots are from a
very old version. Now it is much more coloured and beautiful with some newer
tasks.

The only thing that I read emerge output and show my way is the pretending
packages that will be installed and output from eix-diff to show database
diffs. So, you can get a systray message saying how many packages portage will
install when you ask to check for updates. For every other command what I said
is true, it opens a konsole with the desire action.

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member

Old 02-25-2010, 01:32 PM