Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Peter Humphrey

Default Portage GUI interfaces...

On Friday 26 February 2010 15:08:29 J. Roeleveld wrote:

> In the menu:
> View -< Split View
>
> Then you can choose to split it horizontally or vertically.
>
> To undo, close the "active view"

Ah, I see. I don't usually have a visible menu so I didn't see it.
Thanks.

I still prefer to place my three console windows where I want them, but
it was worth having a look.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:52 AM
Mark David Dumlao

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:40 AM, BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
> Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.

This is one place where those quake-like terminals comes in handy. I
use tilda, for KDE there's yakuake. Basically they allow you to press
a single key and a terminal pops down from the top of the screen. I
usually have one of those running all the time: I have a tab or two
devote to emerges, another tab handling an SSH -X session to some
other computer, and maybe a tab or two devoted to some command line
tasks. Press a single key and it all goes out of sight.

You'll probably want to run the compile in one screen session, then
tail -f the emerge log in one of the tabs.
--
This email is: [ ] actionable [x] fyi [x] social
Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no