-   -   kde4 - prints pdf file sideways (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/331651-kde4-prints-pdf-file-sideways.html)

Joseph 02-25-2010 05:19 AM

kde4 - prints pdf file sideways

I just switched one of my machine to KDE4.3 and when I try to print "pdf" document it prints it sideways.
I've tried Okurla and xpdf same effect.

The "pdf" shows correctly on the screen and prints correctly from kde-3.5
Is it a bug or I need to make a correction/adjustment somewhere?

--
Joseph

daid kahl 02-25-2010 06:18 AM

On 25 February 2010 15:19, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just switched one of my machine to KDE4.3 and when I try to print "pdf"
> document it prints it sideways.
> I've tried Okurla and xpdf same effect.
>
> The "pdf" shows correctly on the screen and prints correctly from kde-3.5
> Is it a bug or I need to make a correction/adjustment somewhere?
>
> --
> Joseph

Hello,

I had a very similar problem to this in kde3.5 (I am not using kde4).
I don't seem to have kept a written record, and I don't have direct
access to a kde machine, but please test this idea. It is very
strange.

Open kedit, and go under the printing preferences and find something
like "print layout" which gives you a landscape or portrait. Toggle
this to whichever one it is not. Try printing again.

This is very quaint, and the part that bothered me the most about it
was that, according to my tests and memory:
1) this controls printing style for all users (including root)
2) this controls printing style outside of kde

See if this can help you.

Regards,
daid

Joseph 02-25-2010 07:01 PM

[...]

You might be correct.
When I print a document from my folder it printed correctly, but when my daughter logged in it is printing sideways.
KDE4 does not have any printer setting, or does it? I was able to find link to cups but nothing specific to kde4 printers.

--
Joseph

daid kahl 02-25-2010 07:22 PM

On 26 February 2010 05:01, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/25/10 16:18, daid kahl wrote:
>>
>> On 25 February 2010 15:19, Joseph <syscon780@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just switched one of my machine to KDE4.3 and when I try to print "pdf"
>>> document it prints it sideways.
>>> I've tried Okurla and xpdf same effect.
>>>
>>> The "pdf" shows correctly on the screen and prints correctly from kde-3.5
>>> Is it a bug or I need to make a correction/adjustment somewhere?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joseph
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I had a very similar problem to this in kde3.5 (I am not using kde4).
>> I don't seem to have kept a written record, and I don't have direct
>> access to a kde machine, but please test this idea. *It is very
>> strange.
>>
>> Open kedit, and go under the printing preferences and find something
>> like "print layout" which gives you a landscape or portrait. *Toggle
>> this to whichever one it is not. *Try printing again.
>>
>> This is very quaint, and the part that bothered me the most about it
>> was that, according to my tests and memory:
>> 1) this controls printing style for all users (including root)
>> 2) this controls printing style outside of kde
>>
>> See if this can help you.
>>
>> Regards,
>> daid
>
> You might be correct.
> When I print a document from my folder it printed correctly, but when my
> daughter logged in it is printing sideways. KDE4 does not have any printer
> setting, or does it? *I was able to find link to cups but nothing specific
> to kde4 printers.
>
> --
> Joseph

Couldn't say much about kde4, but it should have kedit anyway. It
would be a strange downgrade from 3.5, since I have to say, the kde
printing manager I found much better than gnome-cups-manager.
gnome-cups-manager never sees anything useful printers on networks
when I tried it, but kde print manager (whatever it's called) could
find lots of stuff.

But if the two users are getting different behavior, that's not
consistent with what I tried.

I'm sure kedit was accessing something else, but in any case, it's a
simple test case none-the-less.

~daid