Old 01-09-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Kernel setting for frame buffer (2.6.23-r5)

For a good while now I've had a setting like this in grub.conf:

(wrapped for mail)
kernel /kernel-2.6.23-r5 root=/dev/hda5
vga=0x31A video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap

I'm not sure any more how much of that is necessary.

I have it there to allow console mode to have much larger resolution than
default (The appearance is much smaller text)

I think this setting in kernel config is the one needed for that:
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

But I'm trying to build a pared down kernel a console only setup.
Going thru the kernel settings in menuconfig... I'm not finding the one
that creates that `CONFIG_FB_VESA=y' element.

I've gone back and forth through the setting under:
Device drivers/Graphics-support .. checking Support for FrameBuffer
devices (both as module and builtin in different saves).

The only other setting that looks to be about framebuffer is
Userspace VESA VGA graphics support but I think that one is this line
in .config # CONFIG_FB_UVESA is not set

Examining the resulting .config with and without that one set I never
see this CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

That line ends up unset in every way I've thought to try.

However it is in the /usr/share/[...]kernel-2.6 config that genkernel
uses.

I want to have the ability to have the larger resolution in console
mode but the kernel build is way pared down from what genkernel would
do. So what settings do I need to have the effect like posted in
grub.conf line above?

Old 01-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 9 January 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> For a good while now I've had a setting like this in grub.conf:
>
> (wrapped for mail)
> kernel /kernel-2.6.23-r5 root=/dev/hda5
> vga=0x31A video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap
>
> I'm not sure any more how much of that is necessary.

FWIW, I have only the vga= part (more exactly, I have vga=791, with the
argument in decimal. Yours would be vga=794, but the base is just a
matter of habit).

> I have it there to allow console mode to have much larger resolution
> than default (The appearance is much smaller text)
>
> I think this setting in kernel config is the one needed for that:
> CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

Correct.

> But I'm trying to build a pared down kernel a console only setup.
> Going thru the kernel settings in menuconfig... I'm not finding the
> one that creates that `CONFIG_FB_VESA=y' element.

During make menuconfig, hit / and enter the text you want to search for
(in this case, obviously, it's FB_VESA), and hit enter. It should show
you where that particular option is found in the configration. In my
case (vanilla 2.6.23.9), it shows

Symbol: FB_VESA [=y]
Prompt: VESA VGA graphics support
Defined at drivers/video/Kconfig:595
Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && FB=y && X86
Location:
-> Device Drivers
-> Graphics support
-> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=y])
Selects: FB_CFB_FILLRECT && FB_CFB_COPYAREA && FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT &&
VIDEO_SELECT

Notice the "Location:" bit.

> I've gone back and forth through the setting under:
> Device drivers/Graphics-support .. checking Support for FrameBuffer
> devices (both as module and builtin in different saves).

It should be there. Which kernel sources and release are you using?
Also note, in the above output, that VESA_FB depends on HAS_IOMEM and FB.
If you don't select either, the VESA_FB option will not be shown.
Since you obviously have FB set (otherwise you would not see the
Userspace VESA option), you can check the status of HAS_IOMEM. With the
same / trick described above, search for HAS_IOMEM. It does not give you
a lot of information this time, but at least it should tell you whether
the option is enabled. In my case, it just says

Symbol: HAS_IOMEM [=y]

In case you don't have it active (very strange, since it should be part
of the default configuration and not modifiable), try a "make mrproper"
and start over with make menuconfig, which should start with the default
config this time.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 9 January 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> It should be there. Which kernel sources and release are you using?

Ok, I just noticed that you're talking about 2.6.23-r5, which seems to
imply you're using gentoo-sources. In this case, what I said before is
still true, but FB_VESA also depends on X86, which should be enabled
anyway, since it's part of defconfig.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:33 PM

Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> writes:

> During make menuconfig, hit / and enter the text you want to search
> for (in this case, obviously, it's FB_VESA), and hit enter. It
> should show you where that particular option is found in the
> configration. In my case (vanilla 2.6.23.9), it shows
>
> Symbol: FB_VESA [=y]
> Prompt: VESA VGA graphics support
> Defined at drivers/video/Kconfig:595
> Depends on: HAS_IOMEM && FB=y && X86
> Location:
> -> Device Drivers
> -> Graphics support
> -> Support for frame buffer devices (FB [=y])
> Selects: FB_CFB_FILLRECT && FB_CFB_COPYAREA && FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT &&
> VIDEO_SELECT
>
> Notice the "Location:" bit.

That was a very nice tip. I must have known it sometime or at least
seen it but had totally forgotten how to search in make menuconfig
dialog.

I've found the settings and now recompiling... so I'll know soon if it
is done or still needs work.

By the way about the vga= setting. I grabbed a chart from some where
long ago showing the notation I was using:

## 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
## 256 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
## 32k 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
## 64k 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
## 16M 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

do you know of a chart that shows the decimal notation like you
posted? (Its not in `man vga')

And I don't recall where I got that from... where ever it was, it
probably also has the decimal equivalents.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:49 PM

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> do you know of a chart that shows the decimal notation like you
> posted? (Its not in `man vga')
>
> And I don't recall where I got that from... where ever it was, it
> probably also has the decimal equivalents.

You can ignore this request... I found a nifty hex to decimal
converter for vim here:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip27

function! Hex2Dec()
let lstr = getline(".")
let hexstr = matchstr(lstr, '0x[a-fA-F0-9]+')
while hexstr != ""
let hexstr = hexstr + 0
exe 's#0x[a-fA-F0-9]+#'.hexstr."#"
let lstr = substitute(lstr, '0x[a-fA-F0-9]+', hexstr, "")
let hexstr = matchstr(lstr, '0x[a-fA-F0-9]+')
endwhile
endfunction

Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Tony Stohne

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Tony Stohne

Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 9 January 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> By the way about the vga= setting. I grabbed a chart from some where
> long ago showing the notation I was using:
>
> ## 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1280x1024
> ## 256 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x307
> ## 32k 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x319
> ## 64k 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x31A
> ## 16M 0x312 0x315 0x318 0x31B

That is correct. You can use the hex values in the config.

> do you know of a chart that shows the decimal notation like you
> posted? (Its not in `man vga')

No, I just did the math :-)

> And I don't recall where I got that from... where ever it was, it
> probably also has the decimal equivalents.

I think I found the vga=791 line in some ancient LILO sample config file
(even before I started using Gentoo) and I stuck with it since then. But
again, it does not matter whether you use hex or decimal, as long as the
value you use is the same.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 9 January 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> reader@newsguy.com writes:
> > do you know of a chart that shows the decimal notation like you
> > posted? (Its not in `man vga')
> >
> > And I don't recall where I got that from... where ever it was, it
> > probably also has the decimal equivalents.
>
> You can ignore this request... I found a nifty hex to decimal
> converter for vim here:
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip27

A perhaps simpler way is to use the bc program (which needs to be
installed for this to work, of course):

$ echo 'obase=10; ibase=16; 31A' | bc
794

(you can do that from inside vim also by using the "!" vim command)

Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wednesday 9 January 2008, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:

> then. But again, it does not matter whether you use hex or decimal, as
> long as the value you use is the same.

Sorry, bad wording. I meant: as long as the number you enter (whether hex
or decimal) represents the video mode you want to get.