Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 AM
BRM

Default Portage GUI interfaces...

I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.

In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2 years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed information on a Kuroo overlay.

And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.

Can anyone give some advice on these or others?

Ben

Old 02-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:40:23PM -0800, BRM wrote:
> I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
> Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.
>
> In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2 years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed information on a Kuroo overlay.
>
> And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.
>
> Can anyone give some advice on these or others?
>

> Ben

Well there's Paludis, all version are however marked ~arch at the moment.

--
Zeerak Waseem

Old 02-25-2010, 02:14 AM
ubiquitous1980

BRM wrote:
> I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
> Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.
>
> In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2 years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed information on a Kuroo overlay.
>
> And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.
>
> Can anyone give some advice on these or others?
>

> Ben

In the case that there is not a GUI tool, why not run as root # tail -f
/var/log/emerge.log

It tells you what is being installed at present

Another, to see what you are downloading is # tail -f
/var/log/emerge-fetch.log

Good Luck

Old 02-25-2010, 02:17 AM
ubiquitous1980

BRM wrote:
> I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
> Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.
>
> In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2 years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed information on a Kuroo overlay.
>
> And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.
>
> Can anyone give some advice on these or others?
>

> Ben

Found a portage interface, though I cannot guarantee it works or what it
does:

app-portage/himerge

Damien

Old 02-25-2010, 04:20 AM
Dale

BRM wrote:

[...]

Another good tool is genlop. Just type in genlop -c and it will tell
you what is emerging, what number the package is and the estimated times
as well. What number the package is looks something like this:
emerging #4 of 8 packages. That tells you it is on package 4 out of 8
that will be emerged. The estimated time only works if the package has
been emerged at least once before.

Sorry, it is command line. It appears you have already discovered about
everything else. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Dale

BRM wrote:

[...]

I checked out the home page and that does look interesting. That's for
sharing that one. The screen shots look better than porthole.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas

Hello fellow,

Me and Locke Shinseiko are developing a graphical tool to make portage daily
tasks easier. It is called KPortageTray and you can find it on app-
portage/kportagetray at kde overlay.

It doesn't have a version relased yet, only git, because we need to implement
some features and correct some bugs to make it good to use with KDE 4.4.

My idea was a very different approach of himerge, portato, porthole, etc.
I decided to use a very simple approach: it is a program that stays on systray
and when you choose some action, it opens the konsole with the command you
want using kdesu for root access. So, if you click at "upgrade world", it will
open a konsole with kdesu and will run "emerge -vaNDu world". This is because
the GUI may introduce an instability point at every process, since it can
crash and make the upgrade process fail. Sabayon has a similar tool (sulfur)
and users and devs advice to use it only for minor upgrades. So, with
kportagetray, when konsole is opened, the process is totally detached from the
GUI. Consequently, you can even close kportagetray without interrupting the
selected action.

It won't substitute the entire CLI of portage, but it is aimed for people who
is tired to type the same commands every time to upgrade the system or do
something else.

I'm implementing some stuff to make life easier, like a periodic upgrade
checks with a system message on systray (like Windows update program and
sabayon system).

When we get something good for daily use, I'll let you know.

Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas
Control and Automation Engineer
Gentoo Foundation Member

Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Stroller

On 25 Feb 2010, at 05:32, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas wrote:

Me and Locke Shinseiko are developing a graphical tool to make
portage daily

tasks easier. It is called KPortageTray and you can find it on app-
portage/kportagetray at kde overlay.

I decided to use a very simple approach: it is a program that stays
on systray
and when you choose some action, it opens the konsole with the
command you
want using kdesu for root access. So, if you click at "upgrade
world", it will

open a konsole with kdesu and will run "emerge -vaNDu world".

Is this to say the application looks rather different that the
screenshots you posted before?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/204446

Stroller.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 25 February 2010 05:14:06 ubiquitous1980 wrote:
> BRM wrote:
> > I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage,
> > preferably for KDE4. Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having
> > konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in
> > the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to
> > resolve.
> >
> > In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2
> > years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been
> > understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed
> > information on a Kuroo overlay.
> >
> > And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked
> > Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.
> >
> > Can anyone give some advice on these or others?
> >

> > Ben
>
> In the case that there is not a GUI tool, why not run as root # tail -f
> /var/log/emerge.log
>
> It tells you what is being installed at present
>
> Another, to see what you are downloading is # tail -f
> /var/log/emerge-fetch.log

Set the terminal up so that it displays the running command in the titlebar.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 AM
daid kahl

On 25 February 2010 11:40, BRM <bm_witness@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage, preferably for KDE4.
> Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to resolve.

I thought that in the window title bar, it will tell you something
useful about the present emerge command?

I switched from kde a little while ago, and now I mostly use frameless
terminals in xfce (it ends up looking something like xmonad).

I am pretty sure I used to have this in konsole, whether it was
default or I had to tweak some settings to get it, I dunno. And if
konsole can't do it, something can.

(I'm not answering your exact question, I know, but if it's just an
issue to know your status on an emerge process generally, like which
package you are on and what number package it is out of the full
emerge list running, the title bar can show you that.)

Regards,
daid