Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
daid kahl

Default pdf viewing suggestions?

[snips from daid / Willie Wong]
> > evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long
> > or have big figures.
>
> That's odd. I use evince at work (though not on gentoo; work computer
> is a heavily customized version of scientific linux) and I don't have
> the printing problem.
[snip]

[also sorry if I used HTML formatting earlier, sometimes it is turned
on for me and I forget]

It could have been this crazy pdf I was printing, which was one of the
first times I was really using evince a lot since other things were
also complaining. I had pdftk'ed different files, and I think some of
them were like US Letter and others were A4 and others weren't
specified. Well, I kind of erased that experience from my memory, but
I know almost everything on different OSes didn't like what I'd done,
whatever it was. So this could be a very bad test case. There was
something else in my mind from testing it that made me kind of shiver
in a bad way, but I forget. It should be a good program from what I
know, however.

> > The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but
> > it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.
>
> But it works. It is my pdf viewer of choice at home.
[snip]

I'll check out what I can do for printing from it and maybe making it prettier.

> You probably know this already, but gv doesn't work too well a lot of
> times.

Yeah, I kinda forget, but I assume it wasn't removed from my world for
no reason at all.

> Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.

We seem to be doing well so far!

~daid

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Neal Hogan

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM, daid kahl <daidxor@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snips from daid / Willie Wong]

>> Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.
>
> We seem to be doing well so far!

I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
they were talking about.

-Neal

Old 02-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Sebastian Beßler

Am 24.02.2010 21:21, schrieb Neal Hogan:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM, daid kahl <daidxor@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snips from daid / Willie Wong]
>

>>> Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.
>>
>> We seem to be doing well so far!
>
> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
> they were talking about.
>
> -Neal

Shao ~ # eix mupdf
* app-text/mupdf
Available versions: (~)0.5[1] (~)20090703[2] {+cjk debug jbig jpeg2k}
Homepage: http://ccxvii.net/mupdf
portable C.

[1] "gentoo-china" layman/gentoo-china
[2] "rion" layman/rion

It is not in portage tree but in those two overlays.

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-02-24, Sebastian Be?ler <sebastian@darkmetatron.de> wrote:
> Am 24.02.2010 21:21, schrieb Neal Hogan:
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM, daid kahl <daidxor@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [snips from daid / Willie Wong]

>>> We seem to be doing well so far!
>>
>> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
>> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
>> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
>> they were talking about.
>
> Shao ~ # eix mupdf
> * app-text/mupdf
> Available versions: (~)0.5[1] (~)20090703[2] {+cjk debug jbig jpeg2k}
> Homepage: http://ccxvii.net/mupdf
> portable C.
>
> [1] "gentoo-china" layman/gentoo-china
> [2] "rion" layman/rion
>
> It is not in portage tree but in those two overlays.

I just built mupdf 0.5 from sources (after emerging ftjam), and
mupdf segfaulted a few pages into the first document I opened.
That and the inability to search are going to make it a
non-starter for me.

It is small and fast, though.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! It's some people
at inside the wall! This is

Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Willie Wong

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 02:21:39PM -0600, Neal Hogan wrote:
> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
> they were talking about.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/280469

I hope it at least makes into sunrise. There is a version or two in
the gentoo-china overlay, but they are old and have security
vulnerabilities.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 02-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Hi,

I cannot use mupdf at all.
I've emerged mupdf-938 after adding it to my local overlay.

But, when it comes up it displays the first page but I cannot
do anything else.
There is no menu, it doesn't respond to the mouse or the PgUp/PgDn
keys. So I can only view the very first page or exit.
No search, no printing ...

What am I missing?
Helmut.

On 24 Feb, Willie Wong wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 02:21:39PM -0600, Neal Hogan wrote:
>> I use mupdf with OpenBSD and I like it (vi-like bindings). Not too
>> sure if Gentoo has the port/package. A quick "gentoo mupdf" google had
>> a few hits . . . but I didn't look at any of the links to see what
>> they were talking about.
>
> http://bugs.gentoo.org/280469
>
> I hope it at least makes into sunrise. There is a version or two in
> the gentoo-china overlay, but they are old and have security
> vulnerabilities.

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University