Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM
daid kahl

Default pdf viewing suggestions?

Hello all,
Simple question: Can you please explain your pdf viewer of choice (and any configs or 'hacks' I should do)? *I can't find anything I like.
I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread. *As I am trying to remove kdelibs from my system to reduce overhead, I'm reluctant to go for okular, and although I had some brief experience with it, I forget my results (still trying to replace kaffeine..that's another post maybe for later once I'm done testing). *I had gs programs of sorts for awhile, and I forget the results, other than to say the pdf parts aren't on my machine anymore for better or worse.

I want something fast for big files, prints well, and has an interface that doesn't remind me of pure and natural X. *I don't mind the little page overview as a side-tool, but I don't strictly require it.

You can stop reading now, unless you care about my personal ideas on the matter, or your suggestions are various depending on me (hey, you're an extra nice and helpful person!).

I have a sense that many of my problems are from non-conforming pdf files, besides viewing lots of pdfs and being a picky person.

Particularly, epdfview will sometimes ask me for a password claiming the file is locked, and I'd googled this, probably gotten gentoo-user mailing hits, and had evidence this was from other systems not properly following standards. *I just had epdfview spit out a file to the printer with fixed font even though the original is not using fixed fonts; I suspect this pdf was generated with some godforsaken MS product (who writes a PhD thesis for physics in Word: go home, eat bleach, and die, thx).

evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long or have big figures.
The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.

I used kpdf for years and loved it, but there was a bug found, and as the Gentoo team was*stabilizing okular / kde4, this was marked for removal (well, and kde3.5 shortly thereafter). *But it wasn't like xpdf for browsing large pdf files quickly I don't think. *And since I didn't like kde4 and now don't use kdelibs, even if kpdf wasn't in that state, I might avoid it anyway.

I have to confess to the Preview program being probably the single best part of Mac OS from my experience, but even this had a host of problems (and is irrelevant to Linux systems anyway). *That one had non-Aqua conforming behavior for the Open dialogue (double click on a directory was interpreted to "Open all applicable files in this directory" and Preview is associated with anything that can be human-readable basically, so you can imagine my screams of death everyday..and Mac closed and deleted my bug report, even though no other default Aqua programs I tested use this behavior), and I have cases of non-conforming code it generated and images it can't print correctly that everything in Linux can. *

Basically, I want something that doesn't piss me off for any obvious reason. *kpdf was that program (but it still could have been faster I thought, and ate up cache space, which shouldn't go together...but I'm speaking of repeatedly viewing a ~100 MB file with changes, so yeah...).

If I offended anyone who is near and dear to pdf viewers, please tell me how and why I am stupid. *I'm using gtk libraries right now, but if, say, okular is really that super awesome, I might install all the qt and kde stuffs to try it again.

After browsing portage, I'm now doing (some looking shiny and not reader related):daid@flux ~ % emerge eselect-pdftex pdfcrack gsview gspdf
and I wonder why the ruby pdf-reader is only on amd64?

Regards,daid

Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Simple question: Can you please explain your pdf viewer of choice (and
any configs or 'hacks' I should do)? I can't find anything I like.

I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread. As I am trying
to remove kdelibs from my system to reduce overhead, I'm reluctant to go
for okular, and although I had some brief experience with it, I forget
my results (still trying to replace kaffeine..that's another post maybe
for later once I'm done testing). I had gs programs of sorts for
awhile, and I forget the results, other than to say the pdf parts aren't
on my machine anymore for better or worse.

There's also Foxit Reader. You can find it in the "rion" overlay.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Jacob Todd

There's app-text/gv, which is very small. There's also page from plan9port.
If you want to try out page, don't install plan9port from portage, it's
horribly out of date. You should download a recent tarball from
http://swtch.com/plan9port.

--
I am a man who does not exist for others.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:06:46PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 06:01 PM, daid kahl wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Simple question: Can you please explain your pdf viewer of choice (and
> > any configs or 'hacks' I should do)? I can't find anything I like.
> >
> > I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread. As I am trying
> > to remove kdelibs from my system to reduce overhead, I'm reluctant to go
> > for okular, and although I had some brief experience with it, I forget
> > my results (still trying to replace kaffeine..that's another post maybe
> > for later once I'm done testing). I had gs programs of sorts for
> > awhile, and I forget the results, other than to say the pdf parts aren't
> > on my machine anymore for better or worse.
>
> There's also Foxit Reader. You can find it in the "rion" overlay.

Does Foxit Reader support editing pdf files (By editing I mean making notes in them etc.), I've been having some trouble finding a pdf-reader that allowed that.
If anyone has any suggestions as to what pdf readers (other than okular) do it, I'd be very grateful :-)

--
Zeerak Waseem

Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Willie Wong

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:19:52PM +0100, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:
> Does Foxit Reader support editing pdf files (By editing I mean making notes in them etc.), I've been having some trouble finding a pdf-reader that allowed that.
> If anyone has any suggestions as to what pdf readers (other than okular) do it, I'd be very grateful :-)

I don't use a PDF reader for that

I manage my PDF documents with Jabref, and I add a comment field to
store general comments about the PDF. For margin-notes I use the
PDF-annotation feature of xournal.

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 01:01:37AM +0900, daid kahl wrote:
> I've tried xpdf, epdfview, evince, kpdf, and acroread.

> I want something fast for big files, prints well, and has an interface that
> doesn't remind me of pure and natural X. I don't mind the little page
> overview as a side-tool, but I don't strictly require it.

Speedwise I don't think epdfview/evince/kpdf will be all that much
different. They are all based on the poppler framework just with
different frontends. Poppler is, in turn, based on the xpdf rendering
parts.

Acroread is, well acroread, and I try to avoid it whenever I can.

> evince will take an arbitrarily long time to print documents that are long
> or have big figures.

That's odd. I use evince at work (though not on gentoo; work computer
is a heavily customized version of scientific linux) and I don't have
the printing problem. If it weren't for the Gnome dependencies that I
don't want on my laptop, I'd also use evince at home. (Hum, just
checked it out again now, and it looks like the dependency list is
shorter than I remembered it being?)

> The interface for xpdf is pretty lame (especially default printing), but
> it's quick as demons chasing bats out of hell.

But it works. It is my pdf viewer of choice at home.

One thing I am waiting to see is epdf from the enlightenment
libraries. It is still masked, and is in the enlightenment overlay.
In the sunrise overlay there is a program called apvlv. I have never
tried it myself, but the codebase is small and it has a UI based on
the VIM UI (for better or for worse).

You probably know this already, but gv doesn't work too well a lot of
times.

Unfortunately there aren't that many pdf viewing softwares to choose from.

Cheers,

Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
daid kahl

On 25 February 2010 02:46, Willie Wong <wwong@math.princeton.edu> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 06:19:52PM +0100, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:

> Does Foxit Reader support editing pdf files (By editing I mean making notes in them etc.), I've been having some trouble finding a pdf-reader that allowed that.

> If anyone has any suggestions as to what pdf readers (other than okular) do it, I'd be very grateful :-)

I don't use a PDF reader for that

I manage my PDF documents with Jabref, and I add a comment field to

store general comments about the PDF. For margin-notes I use the

PDF-annotation feature of xournal.

Willie W. Wong * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * wwong@math.princeton.edu
jabref is totally amazing, and I also use that. *I can fully endorse it to anyone using bibtex sorts of things.

~daid*