Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default KDE? Get me out of here!

I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer important to me.* I have remained out of pure inertia.
I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu.* All I need from any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple desktops.

I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and documentation toolchains or in a browser.

The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me from running out of disk space.* A little research showed that an odd-sounding thing called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some dotfiles.* It turns out to be a KDE client - whatever that is.* I've got a lot of space here and there, but my /home partition was never near full before.

I'd like to just nuke nepomuk, but fear the consequences.* I'm seriously entertaining ideas about a more efficient way to run my Gentoo system, although I'll probably keep kdelibs because I like a few of their games.* Similarly for gnome.* But I wonder what I should do about the rest.

Ideas?
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Mittwoch 24 Februar 2010, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer

> important to me. *I have remained out of pure inertia.

> I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. *All I need from

> any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple

> desktops. I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and

> documentation toolchains or in a browser.

> The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me from running

> out of disk space. *A little research showed that an odd-sounding thing

> called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some dotfiles. *It turns out

> to be a KDE client - whatever that is. *I've got a lot of space here and

> there, but my /home partition was never near full before.

> I'd like to just nuke nepomuk, but fear the consequences. *I'm seriously

> entertaining ideas about a more efficient way to run my Gentoo system,

> although I'll probably keep kdelibs because I like a few of their games.

> Similarly for gnome. *But I wonder what I should do about the rest.

> Ideas?

just deactivate it.

But one thing surprises me - I have 400gb of data in /home. And nepomuk just

needs 600mb...

Okay, but I don't really know what it is, let alone how to deactivate it.* I'll search around.

Thanks.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 AM
ubiquitous1980

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com <mailto:volkerarmin@googlemail.com>> wrote:
>
> On Mittwoch 24 Februar 2010, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer
> > important to me. I have remained out of pure inertia.
> > I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. All I
> need from
> > any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple
> > desktops. I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and
> > documentation toolchains or in a browser.
> >
> > The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me
> from running
> > out of disk space. A little research showed that an
> odd-sounding thing
> > called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some dotfiles.
> It turns out
> > to be a KDE client - whatever that is. I've got a lot of space
> here and
> > there, but my /home partition was never near full before.
> >
> > I'd like to just nuke nepomuk, but fear the consequences. I'm
> seriously
> > entertaining ideas about a more efficient way to run my Gentoo
> system,
> > although I'll probably keep kdelibs because I like a few of
> their games.
> > Similarly for gnome. But I wonder what I should do about the rest.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> just deactivate it.
>
> But one thing surprises me - I have 400gb of data in /home. And
> nepomuk just
> needs 600mb...
>
> Okay, but I don't really know what it is, let alone how to deactivate
> it. I'll search around.
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Kevin

To deactivate it:

System Settings > Desktop Search > [De-select] Enable Nepomuk Semantic
Desktop

In my case, on the same page, I disabled Strigi also.

Damien Sticklen

Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann

> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com <mailto:volkerarmin@googlemail.com>> wrote:

> * * On Mittwoch 24 Februar 2010, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> * * > I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer

> * * > important to me. *I have remained out of pure inertia.

> * * > I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. *All I

> * * need from

> * * > any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple

> * * > desktops. I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and

> * * > documentation toolchains or in a browser.

> * * >

> * * > The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me

> * * from running

> * * > out of disk space. *A little research showed that an

> * * odd-sounding thing

> * * > called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some dotfiles.

> * * *It turns out

> * * > to be a KDE client - whatever that is. *I've got a lot of space

> * * here and

> * * > there, but my /home partition was never near full before.

> * * >

> * * > I'd like to just nuke nepomuk, but fear the consequences. *I'm

> * * seriously

> * * > entertaining ideas about a more efficient way to run my Gentoo

> * * system,

> * * > although I'll probably keep kdelibs because I like a few of

> * * their games.

> * * > Similarly for gnome. *But I wonder what I should do about the rest.

> * * >

> * * > Ideas?

> * * just deactivate it.

> * * But one thing surprises me - I have 400gb of data in /home. And

> * * nepomuk just

> * * needs 600mb...

> Okay, but I don't really know what it is, let alone how to deactivate

> it. *I'll search around.

> Thanks.

> --

> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Kevin

To deactivate it:

System Settings > *Desktop Search > [De-select] Enable Nepomuk Semantic

Desktop

In my case, on the same page, I disabled Strigi also.

Damien Sticklen

Thanks.* My having research work with a few hundred thousand small files and a couple of terrabytes of storage and backups could account for the size.* Some occasional sluggishness too.* It makes no sense to index any of this, so ditching it feels good.

For anyone else in the same boat, I would amend the instructions thus:

System Settings >* Advanced > Desktop Search > [De-select] Enable Nepomuk Semantic

Desktop

Again, thanks.
--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer
important to me. I have remained out of pure inertia.
I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. All I need from
any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple
desktops.
I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and documentation
toolchains or in a browser.

The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me from
running out of disk space. A little research showed that an
odd-sounding thing called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some
dotfiles. It turns out to be a KDE client - whatever that is. I've got
a lot of space here and there, but my /home partition was never near
full before.

Put "-semantic-desktop" in your make.conf. emerge -auDN world. emerge
-a --depclean. That should do it.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:41 PM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 03:38:09PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 04:27 AM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> > I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer
> > important to me. I have remained out of pure inertia.
> > I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. All I need from
> > any of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple
> > desktops.
> > I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and documentation
> > toolchains or in a browser.
> >
> > The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me from
> > running out of disk space. A little research showed that an
> > odd-sounding thing called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some
> > dotfiles. It turns out to be a KDE client - whatever that is. I've got
> > a lot of space here and there, but my /home partition was never near
> > full before.
>
> Put "-semantic-desktop" in your make.conf. emerge -auDN world. emerge
> -a --depclean. That should do it.

Is that even possible? Won't a number of KDE apps demand the semantic-desktop use flag set?

--
Zeerak Waseem

Old 02-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

Don't know, never happened here.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Christian Schulze

Am Mittwoch, 24. Februar 2010 15:12:58 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 02/24/2010 03:41 PM, Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:

> >> Put "-semantic-desktop" in your make.conf. emerge -auDN world. emerge
> >> -a --depclean. That should do it.
> >
> > Is that even possible? Won't a number of KDE apps demand the
> > semantic-desktop use flag set?
>
> Don't know, never happened here.

Just tried it, and the following apps are being recompiled right now:

[ebuild R ] kde-base/pykde4-4.3.5-r1 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/gwenview-4.3.5 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/akonadi-4.3.5 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] net-wireless/kbluetooth-0.4.2 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/plasma-workspace-4.3.5 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/dolphin-4.3.5 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kdebase-runtime-meta-4.3.5 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kmail-4.3.5 USE="-semantic-desktop*"
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kdeplasma-addons-4.3.5 USE="-semantic-desktop*"

Let's see if it works.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Crístian Viana

it seems only Kmail needs that USE flag. I also haven't tried this on my system.

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

[...]

Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
Sent from Campinas, SP, Brazil