Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Mark Knecht

Default CUPS - Some apps see printers, some do not

Hi,
I'm looking around in vain for info on why some apps (Open Office
apps for instance) see printers while other apps (Evolution and
Firefox for instance) do not. Apps that don't work seem to offer print
to file and print to LPR. On the other hand Open Office provides only
the obscenely ugly CUPS printer name
"HP_LaserJet_M1522nf_MFP_192.168.1.5". The printer does work from Open
Office and printing test pages.

Are default names like that a problem for Gnome which is the
environment my dad is using?

The machine is remote so I'm having to ssh in and run apps remotely.

On my machine running Gnome I didn't find any global configuration
for printing in the system menus. I typically run XFCE so I'm not
deeply familiar with what Gnome offers in terms of printer setup.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 AM
walt