Old 02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Mark Knecht

Default CUPS - Some apps see printers, some do not

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:21 AM, james <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> the one binary thing on the system that comes
>> to mind is Open Office in which printing is working. It's the stuff
>> I'm building that isn't!
>

> Have you set the "cups" flag in make.conf?
>
> It may or maynot make a difference.
>

> hth,
> James

It is not globally set and setting it causes a number of things to get
installed and rebuilt including gnome-cups-manager. Sounds like a good
use flag in this case.

Rebuilding now. Maybe in an hour we'll have an answer.

Thanks!

- Mark

Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:21 AM, james <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> the one binary thing on the system that comes
>>> to mind is Open Office in which printing is working. It's the stuff
>>> I'm building that isn't!
>>

>> Have you set the "cups" flag in make.conf?
>>
>> It may or maynot make a difference.
>>

>> hth,
>> James
>
> It is not globally set and setting it causes a number of things to get
> installed and rebuilt including gnome-cups-manager. Sounds like a good
> use flag in this case.
>
> Rebuilding now. Maybe in an hour we'll have an answer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Mark

Thanks James. At least for me remotely that enabled printing from
within Firefox.

Waiting now for my dad to check it out locally.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM

james wrote:

>> Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > the one binary thing on the system that comes
>> > to mind is Open Office in which printing is working. It's the stuff
>> > I'm building that isn't!
>>

>> Have you set the "cups" flag in make.conf?
>>
>> It may or maynot make a difference.
>>

>> hth,
>> James

No, I copied the make.conf from a different machine a decided I nver
needed it

I've enabled it now, but another thing is it safe to delete an entry
from my world file, so when I update it isn't everything?
Roundyz

Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM, <roundyz@hotmail.ru> wrote:
> james wrote:

>>> Have you set the "cups" flag in make.conf?
>>>
>>> It may or maynot make a difference.
>>>

>>> hth,
>>> James
>>>

> No, I copied the make.conf from a different machine a decided I nver
> needed it
>
> I've enabled it now, but another thing is it safe to delete an entry
> from my world file, so when I update it isn't everything?
> --
> Regards,
> Roundyz

Try

equery hasuse cups

on my machine it was only something like 8 or 9 packages. It might not
be a real big problem to enable it globally.

It did work for me.

- Mark

Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 AM

Mark Knecht wrote:

>> equery hasuse cups
>>
>> on my machine it was only something like 8 or 9 packages. It might not
>> be a real big problem to enable it globally.
>>
>> It did work for me.
>>
>> - Mark

roundyz@Lister ~ $ sudo emerge -vp equery

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "equery".

* IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news to read news items.

roundyz@Lister ~ $ esearch equery
[ Results for search key : equery ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

roundyz@Lister ~ $ sudo equery
sudo: equery: command not found
roundyz@Lister ~ $

So what package is it part of?

Roundyz

Old 02-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Alex Schuster

roundyz@hotmail.ru writes:

> roundyz@Lister ~ $ sudo emerge -vp equery

> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "equery".
[...]
> So what package is it part of?

wonko@weird ~ $ equery belongs /usr/bin/equery
* Searching for /usr/bin/equery ...
app-portage/gentoolkit-0.3.0_rc8-r1 (/usr/bin/equery)

Wonko

Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM

--
Cheers mate!

Regards,
Roundyz

Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 AM

Mark Knecht wrote:

>> > No, I copied the make.conf from a different machine a decided I nver
>> > needed it
>> >
>> > I've enabled it now, but another thing is it safe to delete an entry
>> > from my world file, so when I update it isn't everything?
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> > Roundyz
>> >

>> Try
>>
>> equery hasuse cups
>>
>> on my machine it was only something like 8 or 9 packages. It might not
>> be a real big problem to enable it globally.
>>
>> It did work for me.
>>
>> - Mark

Emerging gtk+ again now, with cups enabled, to see if it is GTK thats
the problem.

Roundyz

Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 AM

roundyz@hotmail.ru wrote:

>> Emerging gtk+ again now, with cups enabled, to see if it is GTK thats
>> the problem.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Roundyz

I was right! gtk+ has now enabled the printers to be seen.

Roundyz