FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Stroller
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised
"don't try using just Kmail under a different window manager - use the
whole KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something else instead
of Kmail".


I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using
Knode for a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac and
open Knode in X11.


I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been able
to find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.


I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually with
the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies thing.


It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an alternative
that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part of the whole
KDE4 environment.


Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Stroller.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 05:42:25 +0000, Stroller wrote:

> Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised
> "don't try using just Kmail under a different window manager - use the
> whole KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something else instead
> of Kmail".

I took it more as "KDE programs are intended to be run on KDE, so don't
complain if they don't work as you want elsewhere". So if it works and
you are happy with it, why change?

> I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually with
> the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies thing.
>
> It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an alternative
> that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part of the whole
> KDE4 environment.

I haven't done usenet in a while, but when I did I preferred Pan to
Knode. While I am a KDE fan, I do find myself using quite a few GTK apps
on my KDE desktop.


--
Neil Bothwick

The considered application of terror is also a form of communication.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 AM
ubiquitous1980
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

Peter Ruskin wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 February 2010 05:42:25 Stroller wrote:
>
>> Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised
>> "don't try using just Kmail under a different window manager -
>> use the whole KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something
>> else instead of Kmail".
>>
>> I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using
>> Knode for a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac
>> and open Knode in X11.
>>
>> I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been
>> able to find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.
>>
>> I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually
>> with the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies
>> thing.
>>
>> It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an
>> alternative that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part
>> of the whole KDE4 environment.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Stroller.
>>
>
> I've always used pan in preference to knode.
>
>
I don't use knode or usenet, but am I missing something? Can't kde4
applications be used on Mac these days?
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 AM
Peter Ruskin
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 05:42:25 Stroller wrote:
> Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised
> "don't try using just Kmail under a different window manager -
> use the whole KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something
> else instead of Kmail".
>
> I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using
> Knode for a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac
> and open Knode in X11.
>
> I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been
> able to find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.
>
> I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually
> with the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies
> thing.
>
> It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an
> alternative that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part
> of the whole KDE4 environment.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stroller.

I've always used pan in preference to knode.

--
Peter
================================================== ======================
Gentoo Linux: Portage 2.2_rc63 kernel-2.6.32-gentoo-r5
AMD Phenom(tm) 9950 Quad-Core Processor gcc(Gentoo: 4.4.3)
KDE: 3.5.10 Qt: 3.3.8b
================================================== ======================
 
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On 02/23/2010 07:42 AM, Stroller wrote:

Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised "don't
try using just Kmail under a different window manager - use the whole
KDE environment, but not single apps. Use something else instead of Kmail".

I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using Knode
for a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac and open
Knode in X11.

I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been able
to find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.

I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually with
the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies thing.

It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an alternative
that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part of the whole KDE4
environment.

Any suggestions?


I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
> mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
> email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.

Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read it
in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?


--
Neil Bothwick

SITCOM: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage
 
Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On 02/23/2010 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:


I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.


Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read it
in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?


No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
time. GMane does that for me instead.


I am currently "subscribed" to 31 mailing lists on GMane. I don't even
want to imagine what would happen if I would receive email from all of
them (and 90% of the posts would not interest me anyway, so why recieve
them in the first place?) It's just not practical. A Usenet-like
front-end is the perfect solution here; a mailing list is very similar
to a Usenet newsgroup and that's why this approach is the most practical
one. And even if I were subscribed to only one list, it would still be
the best way to access it; even though the traffic is much lower when
compared to 31 lists, but it's still high enough to get annoying with
something landing on your inbox every 10 minutes or so, even stuff you
don't intend to read. With Usenet, you only get what you're interested
in, and you get it in a way that is very easy to access and browse though.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On 02/23/2010 01:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 02/23/2010 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:


I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.


Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read it
in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?


No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
time. GMane does that for me instead.


Just to make my point more clear:

http://i50.tinypic.com/15ow2g8.png

All of these under the "GMane" groups are mailing lists, but they appear
just like Usenet newsgroups. I can't imagine any easier way to easily
deal with 30+ mailing list subscriptions.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Mick
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On 23 February 2010 11:48, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 01:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>
>> On 02/23/2010 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
>>>> mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
>>>> email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.
>>>
>>> Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read it
>>> in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?
>>
>> No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
>> one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
>> time. GMane does that for me instead.
>
> Just to make my point more clear:
>
> *http://i50.tinypic.com/15ow2g8.png
>
> All of these under the "GMane" groups are mailing lists, but they appear
> just like Usenet newsgroups. *I can't imagine any easier way to easily deal
> with 30+ mailing list subscriptions.

Also, unlike when using a mail client, with usenet you don't have to
download the message/thread if you're not interested in reading it.

Back to the OP's topic, I am also using Knode (but not for this M/L).
If you set your USE flags right you should be able to continue using
Kmail/Knode without some of the dependencies that the full KDE4
desktop requires. However, I don't know if from KDE4.4 changes on
dependencies (as per recent thread on semantic-desktop) mean that more
of these will be pulled in.
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 02-23-2010, 12:08 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:39:48 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> > Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to
> > read it in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more
> > simple?
>
> No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be
> the one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
> time. GMane does that for me instead.

Well, setting up filters is hardly taxing or time consuming, but I see
your point.

> I am currently "subscribed" to 31 mailing lists on GMane. I don't even
> want to imagine what would happen if I would receive email from all of
> them (and 90% of the posts would not interest me anyway, so why recieve
> them in the first place?) It's just not practical. A Usenet-like
> front-end is the perfect solution here; a mailing list is very similar
> to a Usenet newsgroup and that's why this approach is the most
> practical one. And even if I were subscribed to only one list, it
> would still be the best way to access it; even though the traffic is
> much lower when compared to 31 lists, but it's still high enough to get
> annoying with something landing on your inbox every 10 minutes or so,
> even stuff you don't intend to read. With Usenet, you only get what
> you're interested in, and you get it in a way that is very easy to
> access and browse though.

With the downside being that the process is slower, as you have to
download each message or thread as you want to read it. Contrast this
with having email delivered whether you are reading it or not and being
filtered at the moment of arrival so it is instantly available, sorted
into folders, when you start up your client. However, this convenience
uses more bandwidth, so if that is worth more to you than your time, using
Usenet for selective reading does make sense.


--
Neil Bothwick

furbling, v.:
Having to wander through a maze of ropes at an airport or bank
even when you are the only person in line.
-- Rich Hall, "Sniglets"
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org